Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breeding question.....

Thanks

Default Breeding question.....

I do not currently have a female large enough for breeding but I'm trying to learn and ccover all of my bases. So here is my ?

I have a large setup compared to the average person here it seems, its a 46 gallon. It is also a natural viv, which is the way I plan on keeping it. When I know for a fact my females have bred with the make in said tank, should I seperate them to smaller tanks with just eco earth As substrate and a lay box? I'm asking because I don't want to have to look through the 46 gallon viv daily for eggs... Or run the risk of completely missing them.

What do you breeders do? Btw I'm just looking to breed for fun, expand my collection, and I even plan on giving some away to members here once I get familiar with the locals.

Thanks

Thanks

As a note I use a 50/50 of organic putting soil, eco earth and a 1-2" layer of moss that covers various parts of the tank. Probably 50-60% now. I settled on that amount for looks and because a 100% coverage was holding too much humidity. Like 85 all day.

Thanks

I think I might be a little confused about the question.... So you want her to lay in the large tank and then move her to a smaller tank when she lays the eggs? (I think this is what you mean?) If so then what happens when she's ready to lay another clutch of eggs? Also what would be the point of having a nice big naturalistic tank if you're only going to have eggs in it?

Thanks

I keep mine in a 75 gallon vivarium also. The best thing, in my opinion, if you're looking to breed and not have to search for eggs is after you're sure the female is gravid you can put her in a simpler set up with paper towel substrate and a lay box. I have 1 main natural set up and the rest are in sterrilite bins. It's just easier to keep up with in my opinion.

On a side note, I'm in the Navy also! What's your rate?

Thanks

Oh I see what you mean I think now but it still poses a problem..... you would need to keep her in the smaller tank until she laid the eggs and that could take awhile (28 days or so). So again you would have your female in a smaller tank for most of the time if you did it that way....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Girl View Post
    I think I might be a little confused about the question.... So you want her to lay in the large tank and then move her to a smaller tank when she lays the eggs? (I think this is what you mean?) If so then what happens when she's ready to lay another clutch of eggs? Also what would be the point of having a nice big naturalistic tank if you're only going to have eggs in it?
    I want to be able to easily locate the eggs. Id remove the female once gravid, not after she lays.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scratius View Post
    I keep mine in a 75 gallon vivarium also. The best thing, in my opinion, if you're looking to breed and not have to search for eggs is after you're sure the female is gravid you can put her in a simpler set up with paper towel substrate and a lay box. I have 1 main natural set up and the rest are in sterrilite bins. It's just easier to keep up with in my opinion.

On a side note, I'm in the Navy also! What's your rate?
    FC2 (SW) Aegis community

Thanks

Nice, I'm an HM2. Currently on shore duty in SC. I'm finally able to get back into my reptiles haha.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Girl View Post
    Oh I see what you mean I think now but it still poses a problem..... you would need to keep her in the smaller tank until she laid the eggs and that could take awhile (28 days or so). So again you would have your female in a smaller tank for most of the time if you did it that way....
    This kind of sucks, I want to keep them in the main viv on display, but I want the joy of the babies as we'll... Maybe I should just get a few females in the one setup and let one a year need with the male... Idk so frustrating

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scratius View Post
    Nice, I'm an HM2. Currently on shore duty in SC. I'm finally able to get back into my reptiles haha.
    Not on shore lol... Actually on the ship right now.