Thread: International Traveler

Thanks

Default International Traveler

Does anyone know the laws of Mexico for bringing in a pet lizard? I can't find anything. What about bringing a pet reptile back into the states? I've got a possibility of working down in mexico but wouldn't really want to leave behind my beardie. I'd have to leave behind my geckos because of the temp requirements. I've been playing with the idea of going down there for some time, now I have an opportunity and a choice to make. I googled for the laws. Came up with dogs, cats, and wildlife but nothing about non-native reptiles unless they are endagered.
    Thanks

Thanks

i'm not sure who you contact- but you should be able to get a permit or something, with a Vet's approval. i think they might need fecal tests to come and go across the border. it is probably going to be a real pain in the rear.
    ANYTHING SAID HERE BY ME IS JUST MY OPINION, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

2.3.0 crested gex
    1.0.0 appaloosa horse
    1.1.0 jack Russells
    1. husband

Thanks

I'm also wondering what I'd feed her down there. Suppose could try catching roachs in the forest and breeding them. I'd just miss my little girl though. I know with cats and dogs they keep them for a month or so to make sure they don't have anything. A lizard though isn't going to spread anything except to possibly me. But even then there's not much you can get from a reptile is there?

Thanks

Last I heard it was pretty easy to run across the border LOL, just tell them you found the Bearded Dragon out in the Desert
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

When I worked for a vet back in florida we helped ship pets to Italy and had no idea what docs and such were needed. We called the USDA and they were able to fill us in. That was years ago and for cats and dogs, but i would think it would be worth a phone call to check it out. I would think they would be the ones that regulate all animals. If you don't get anywhere there, try to find a number for the border patrol. They will be the ones to inspect your documents so they should have at least an idea or know who to call. Can't help you on food though. Check with the large insect sellers like fluker farms or armstrong cricket and see if they can ship to Mexico. Good luck and don't drink the water
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

I'm wondering if there are places down there that deal with the food stuff. I'm sure it would be cheaper ordering from a place down there, plus not recieving box full of dead crickets. I doubt I'd be allowed to take my roach colonies. They would definitly be a pest species down there. I'd have to try getting my box shipped down there. Expensive. I was told it weighs 114 lbs.

Well it's just an idea I've been playing with.

Thanks

You could try to switch him to the pelleted diet. Mine won't eat it but I know a lot that do. That would be easy to order online if you can't find it down there. Or you could do tons of veggies and an occasional pinky mouse. Those might be easier to find there.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

I've tried the katy (I think) dragon diet and the monsterfood beardie diet. Doesn't touch either, even if it's put into baby food. She prefered grasshoppers and super worms over crickets and ate an occasional lateralis roach. Veggies should be easy to find and to grow down there for her.