Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beardie brumation Question

Thanks

Default Beardie brumation Question

For a while my beardie was being fairly inactive. She kept in her hide and only came out to chow down. She was eating fine so I didn't worry too much. Then a couple of weeks ago she started to go crazy and not eating. Running back and forth in her cage and scratching on the glass again. She hasn't scratched much since I put her in the big cage until then. I'd let her out and she would go running around the house for a few hours. I'd find her in a corner or under the chair somewhere. I'd leave her for a day or two untill she started moving around on her own. I put a ceramic heater over her favorite corner for her. It's high enough up so that it just makes the temp in the corner a little warmer. The house is running about 75 degrees or so. I can't decide if she was getting too cold or trying to brumate because when I put her back in the cage with the lights on, she'd bask for 10 to 20 minutes before wanting back out to run around some more. She's been under the rocking chair for about a week now, and hasn't ate anything in about 3 weeks. Just wanting to know if I should just leave her until she starts moving around on her own or if I should put her in the cage with the heat. I know this is a gecko forum, but I hate all the beardie forums i've been to.
    Thanks

Thanks

I'd put her back in the cage, you don't need to turn the heat on unless she wakes up. I wrap my guy up in a hand towel with just his head sticking out, that way I can see if he wakes up. every couple of weeks I wake him up for a bath and a short bask then he goes back to sleep.
    ~Waldo is a girl~

Thanks

Thanks. I don't know what it is but she seems to hate being in her cage. She'll scratch to get out. It's not too small being that it's 6' long, 2.5' deep and 2.5' tall. One end has a 3 level deal for her and the other end has a big hide with basking spot. Maybe I can get a good picture of it. Problem is I can't get far enough back to get it all in the shot. Maybe a panaramic shot would work.

Thanks

If she is not eating, but very restless, she may have infertile eggs in her. Does she wiggle around and not respond well to handling? If this is the case, I would place her in a tub with an inch or so of drinking water, let her drink, place her back in the cage to heat up for an hour or so, then put her in an egg laying tub. Good hydration helps in passing infertile eggs. She may have gone through a short brumation, and started to produce eggs.
    If not, I would put her back in the cage, lower the wattage to about half, and set a timer on the lights and heat to 8-10 hours on, the rest off. Let her nights get a bit cooler, and she should shut down on her own. Once she is consistently sleeping, you can shut the lights completely off. My dragons brumate at around 50-60 degrees for a couple of months with no problems. If you do it right, the dragon will look exactly the same when it wakes up, just a little dehydrated. Hope this info helps. I understand what you mean about the dragon forums. Good luck, Josh

Thanks

At first she was coming out to eat but stayed hidden away. Then she stopped eating and started running around the house but she'd always end up finding a spot and would lay there until I'd pick her up and put her in her cage. She would go and bask by herself. Because of that I wasn't sure if she was trying to brumate or just getting too cold to move. That's why I was afraid to let her stay out for too long. She's been laying under the chair now for about a week. My house doesn't get that cold, is it ok if she stays at 75 or so?
    Thanks

Thanks

Hi, if she is trying to brumate, I would keep her at a lower temps(around 60 degrees). She should brumate in the cage if you get the nightime temps down and cut the wattage and the photoperiod like I said in the previous post. What happens is that when a dragon is not eating, trying to brumate, and the temps are high, she can lose weight really fast. The high temps speeds up the metabolism. That's why I like the temps lower for brumation(50-60) because they don't lose any weight, and they sleep better. I used to breed dragons outside here in southern california, and the nightime temps would be down in the 40's in the winter, and the dragons were fine. I remember one morning, it was so cold that there was frost all over the plants and when I lifted up the pallets, the dragons were near frozen. When the sun came out, the dragons were active eating everything and chasing each other around. I don't reccomend getting them this low, but it's an example of how cold they can take it.
    I would try to rule out the possibility of having infertiles. Is she showing signs of stress? Black beard and tail tip? Is her eyes sunk in and/or the tops of her head? Is the base of the tail thin? Josh

Thanks

Base of the tail seems wide enough. Eyes have been closed. I can't lower her temps unless I do put her outside and I don't really like the thought of that.

Thanks

I lay down near her and I see her open her eye and she'll look at me till I leave normally. So I know she's awake, but she still hasn't moved anywhere. I wish I could lower her temps but it's 80 degrees outside even. Crazy Texas weather.

Thanks

Hi, it's hard to say without seeing her. Most likely she is trying to brumate. If she looks fat and healthy, I wouldn't mess with her too much. If she is showing signs of stress, then there is a problem. Sunken eyes and tops of the head, black throat and tail tip, discoloration, restlessness, heavy breathing with mouth open, runny stools, and bony tail are definately stuff to look for. Can you post a pic of the dragon and set-up? Josh

Thanks

I'll post a photo of what she looked like when she started acting strange. I'll see if I can get one of her hiding under the chair. My cage is 6' long and I only can get back about 3 feet from it so it will probably be two photos. I'll try taking them tomorrow. Got to get batteries for the camera. Her eyes might be sunk in a little as she sleeps, head and throat is fine. I can't tell she's breathing at all. Not using the bathroom, hasn't ate in over a week. She was being restless but she hasn't moved in over a week. Can't see the tail tip as it is back under the chair. Tail base still seems fat enough.