Thread: >:( Gnats in tank?

Thanks

Default >:( Gnats in tank?

so I was doing my nightly routine with my gecko, changing out his food, water, and misting down his tank, when I noticed something. I saw 2 gnats inside his tank and a couple others flying around my room. I clean his tank weekly, wiping it down with distilled vinegar and water, then with water, and then with soap and water, then with water until the vinegar smell and soap smell are gone and it smells like nothing but a gecko tank. Is this something I should be worried about? it didn't look like a whole colony of them, but I know that it could become that. I also change out the substrate every month and flip it bottom up. Thanks in advance!
    One male Crested Gecko, Named......
    HOT FRY

Thanks

I get them too sometimes because they come in through my window ac. I think it's fine and they're also attracted to the light.
    Working with Cresties and Eurydactylodes Agricolae.

Thanks

Ok, thanks. Just seeing one gnat is going to get me angry lol. I would hate to see an infestation take over my tank.
    HOT FRY

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

If they are fungus gnats, they are attracted to damp conditions, so if you have paper towel or other substrate that's constantly damp, you'll see them. They are also attracted to potted plants and sink drains. Pouring bleach down drains once a month or so can help.

If they are fruit flies, which are tiny but "chunkier" than the gnats, they feed and reproduce directly in the CGD, so you can stop that by removing the CGD during the day. You can put it in the fridge and then place it for a second night in the enclosure. This is really only feasible for small collections!
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    If they are fungus gnats, they are attracted to damp conditions, so if you have paper towel or other substrate that's constantly damp, you'll see them. They are also attracted to potted plants and sink drains. Pouring bleach down drains once a month or so can help.

If they are fruit flies, which are tiny but "chunkier" than the gnats, they feed and reproduce directly in the CGD, so you can stop that by removing the CGD during the day. You can put it in the fridge and then place it for a second night in the enclosure. This is really only feasible for small collections!
    My tank is only really wet at night. It starts out at 90+% and by 5:30 (when I get up) its 70-80% and during the day its 55-60 and the substrate and decor is completely dry by then. Thanks for the advice, will definitely be using it if I need to
    HOT FRY

Thanks

I used to have TERRIBLE fruit fly issues until I started feeding less (less food in the cup, more often) so that the food would dry up instead of being super attractive to the bugs. The switch from natural substrate to paper towel worked wonders as well. Down here where I live, you leave a banana out on the kitchen counter and they magically appear.
    If it's a real problem, you can make traps: Take a small glass, or several depending on how many bugs are around, pour some apple cider vinegar in there with some fruity scented dish soap (gain makes dish soap now that worked really well for us, it's only like $1 for a bottle. Anyway. cover the glass with saran wrap. put a rubber band around the top of the glass (like you're making a drum, lol), then poke five or six holes in the middle of the saran wrap (spaced out, but not close to the rim of the glass) with a toothpick. set them out where light would hit it or just near the gecko's cage. The flies go in through the holes smelling something good, and because the way out is so hard to find for them, they get stuck/covered in the soap and die in the vinegar. We caught almost all the flies in our gecko room with that method. I know this was a LONG story, but there is NOTHING worse than fruit flies...

Thanks

Saw a couple more bugs buzzing around his tank, and they looked like fruit flies. Also saw a few bugs on the ground (Like the ones you commonly find in the soil of potted plants, if that makes sense) so I became frustrated, and did a FULL on cleaning of his cage and everything in it. Wiped down the walls with good old distilled vinegar and antibacterial soap, wiping it off with water and dry paper towels along the way about three times. Also changed the substrate and wiped down the bottom of the tank. I took out all of the tank decor and cleaned it in very hot water, then dried the decor. Then I wiped down the outside of the tank, and also cleaned the screen cage top in hot water, and I'm about to dust off the lamp fixtures. I also did that vinegar and soap mix thing; thanks for the idea I've only seen one FF on it so far, that's better than nothing though I'm also going to start taking out his food and water bowl daily. Off topic, but I've caught him drinking out of the water bowl about 3 times now. My bro caught him drinking out of it yesterday as well
    HOT FRY

Thanks

Well we had this one point in time where I left the window open for a day and I swear, every fruit fly in the world decided to make my gecko room home. We tried sticky paper, wine, etc, but the only thing that worked were those traps. We caught TONS of them in those traps.