Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help! basement infested with fleas :(

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misskiwi67 View Post
    This is not true. There are no known strains of frontline resistant fleas. There is an ongoing study in Florida (the heart of flea country) through the veterinary school there, and they have been unable to find any evidence of resistance. Every time someone has made a claim of resistance, they have been able to trace the problem to an untreated pet or area of the home.

I will be back later to post more information on the flea life cycle and what you need to do to get rid of ALL the fleas.
    Just reporting what we have found in our vet clinic. The vets I work for have actually even stopped ordering Frontline because so many people (who treat all pets, year-round) were still finding fleas on their pets. No, we don't have any research or evidence to back up the claim, but we have had enough people complain that we stopped carrying the product.

Just wanted to let the OP know that given the variety of options out there for flea treatments, that they might want to think twice about using Frontline.
    May you take time to celebrate the quiet miracles that seek no attention.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post
    Just reporting what we have found in our vet clinic. The vets I work for have actually even stopped ordering Frontline because so many people (who treat all pets, year-round) were still finding fleas on their pets. No, we don't have any research or evidence to back up the claim, but we have had enough people complain that we stopped carrying the product.

Just wanted to let the OP know that given the variety of options out there for flea treatments, that they might want to think twice about using Frontline.
    It makes me sad to see veterinrians using anecdotal reports instead of science to make medical recommendations. At least it was their clients they were listening to, and not the companies with the new products. There have been a lot of problems with several of the new products, and at least one has been permanently discontinued due to toxicity reports. Frontline is tried and true, and most importantly, safe.

Frontline WORKS, when its used correctly. Its not an instant fix, and our busybody society expects the chemical to kill immediately. NOTHING out there does this. People try frontline and when they still have fleas at the second application (this is where understanding AND TEACHING the flea life cycle is so important) so they switch to something else that works equally as well, and then blame the frontline when it was really a lack of understanding at fault.

With that said, there are plenty of good options out there nowadays. I like frontline, advantage, revolution, and advantix (advantix is toxic to cats).
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dobeyxxl View Post
    I cant speak for fleas but I do believe that Ticks are becoming immune to Frontline in my area. We have been using Frontline regularly for many years now but these last 2 seasons we have had massively engorged ticks drop off our dog which have been found in the house near her bedding. Since this is not supposed to happen when Frontline is being used we inquired with two different vets in the area and both confirmed that they have had people complain about Frontline not working on their animals any longer and that we should try Advantix or another brand for a while.
    Advantix is great, but it doesn't last as long as Frontline. It works for about 21 days vs. Frontlines 28. Have you tried the Amitraz collars? I use them for my dog who is allergic to beef, so he has to use revolution for fleas, and it doesn't kill ticks at all. PrevenTick is my favorite. It has to be close to the skin for absorption, so best for short-haired dogs, but it works for several months and it has amazing tick knock-down. Its also very cost-effective. Don't use it if you think your dogs might eat it, its toxic if the collar is eaten.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

We use sevin dust at the zoo, safe for mammals, birds reptiles, just not amphips. Sprinkle on carpet and vacuum up. We even sprinkle it in birds feathers to kill mites after giving them ivermectin.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Emilylovesherps View Post
    We use sevin dust at the zoo, safe for mammals, birds reptiles, just not amphips. Sprinkle on carpet and vacuum up. We even sprinkle it in birds feathers to kill mites after giving them ivermectin.
    Is that available at retailers at all? I'll have to look into it!

Thanks everyone for all the comments and suggestions so far! We're trying to take it one day at a time...I hate bugs that infest...ugh they give me the shivers...
    previously known as hermansmama

Thanks

At any home improvement store.

Thanks

I have the same problem as you right now, my vet recommended a spray the sell and it supposedly lasts 6 months after one spray. We're waiting to see if it works, the cats got fleas all over the basement from hiding while we were on vacation. The spray is called Vet Kem Siphotrol 1000, and but its a little pricey.
    1.0.0 Crested Geckos - Riot
    1.1.0 Gargoyle Geckos - Shaymus & Zombie
    0.1.0 Cats - Smudge
    R.I.P Havoc

Thanks

The fleas are definitely diminishing....they aren't attacking us in numbers every time we go in the basement (now called the dungeon!) and the cats are due for their next round of flea drops. We haven't found any fleas on them for a while now (we flea comb them often and finger comb through their fur), and the dogs are not itching anymore! (thank goodness!) We did have to put our pit mix on steroids ( flea allergy!) and she's been peeing CONSTANTLy, but that's another story! lol

Thanks

Which kind of drops do you use on the cats? I'm having no such luck, I haven't spotted any on her this week but they're still all over the place. I'm using Advantage, but thinking of switching to Revolution for this month?
    1.0.0 Crested Geckos - Riot
    1.1.0 Gargoyle Geckos - Shaymus & Zombie
    0.1.0 Cats - Smudge
    R.I.P Havoc

Thanks

wewe have been using Advantage and it seems to be working for our cats (Advantix on dogs)