Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: help! basement infested with fleas :(

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
    Please, please, PLEASE do not buy any flea products that are sold over the counter other than Frontline. Especially if it says Hartz or BioSpot on it, those products are known to kill pets. Frontline Plus all the way. So sorry you have to deal with fleas, they are the worst!
    There are other competitors out there now that are exactly the same as Frontline. Frontline lost their patent this past year. As long as it has fipronil at standard market concentration, it should work. Imidacloprid, the active ingredient in Advantage II also works incredibly well, and I believe it actually shows better results.

Thanks

I just wanted to add that most vets have noticed a trend of Frontline-resistant fleas. We don't recommend Frontline at the vet clinic that I work at for this reason. I would recommend a product called Assurity for your cats and Trifexis, Comfortis, or Advantage for your dogs.

Treat for 3-4 months, and vaccum, vaccum, vaccum!!!
    May you take time to celebrate the quiet miracles that seek no attention.

Thanks

I agree with all the Flea treatment for your pets for at least 3-4 months. There is a also a spray you can use in your basement that is sold at vet clinics. Here is a link to the info for it. I have used it and it does work. We used it at the clinic all the time if we had a room that had a flea infested animal in it.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/vet-kem-sip...spray-can.html

0.1.0 Crested Gecko, Kiwi
    0.1 Boston Terrier, Meko
    3.0 DSH cats, Bubba, Tony and Jake
    2.0 Guinea pigs, George and Stu
    and many fish

Thanks

Yes the flea treatment works! Growing up we had two cats that somehow ended up with fleas and we had an infestation, the worst in the basement, jumping on your legs and feet. We treated the cats with Advantage I believe and the fleas disappeared completely. The bombs and traps never worked. I speak from experience.
    Megan
    My iherp
    Facebook
    Many crested geckos, 0.1 leachie, 1.1 boas, 2.1 cats, and 0.1 dog. Oh and one amazing husband and one precious little boy!

Thanks

Also, if you have rabbits, NEVER EVER use frontline on them! The active ingredient can ruin their nervous system and kill them. Talk to a knowledgable exotics vet if you have bunnies that ever somehow end up with fleas.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the tips! We are going to forego the bombs for the time being and see if the vacuuming daily (multiple times if possible!) and flea treatments on the pets will work! We're trying to get ahold of some more diatomaceous earth too!
    previously known as hermansmama

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post
    I just wanted to add that most vets have noticed a trend of Frontline-resistant fleas. We don't recommend Frontline at the vet clinic that I work at for this reason. I would recommend a product called Assurity for your cats and Trifexis, Comfortis, or Advantage for your dogs.

Treat for 3-4 months, and vaccum, vaccum, vaccum!!!
    This is not true. There are no known strains of frontline resistant fleas. There is an ongoing study in Florida (the heart of flea country) through the veterinary school there, and they have been unable to find any evidence of resistance. Every time someone has made a claim of resistance, they have been able to trace the problem to an untreated pet or area of the home.

I will be back later to post more information on the flea life cycle and what you need to do to get rid of ALL the fleas.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

Ok, sorry for the double post, but I'm baking cookies and needed to run back and forth.

The Flea life cycle is similar to a butterfly, it has an egg, a larvae, a pupae, and an adult.

Your basement is currently infested, so you have an unknown number of fleas, likely a good mixture of all 4 life stages. Female fleas lay about 40 eggs per day, and these fall off the pet throughout the day. The largest number of eggs will be found wherever the pet spends the most time.

Those eggs hatch into larvae. The larvae avoid light, so they will dig deep into carpet, into cracks in wood floors and concrete, and go underneath furniture, beds, and couch cushions. They eat dander and flea poop (partially digested blood, very nutritious) from the pet and the adult fleas.

The larvae then become pupae. Pupae can live up to one year without hatching in ideal conditions, and can become adult fleas in under a month in ideal conditions. The most important thing to know about pupae is there are NO CHEMICALS that kill them!!! An atomic bomb might not even do the trick. This life stage is why you have to treat your home for several months. You need to turn every pet in your home into a walking flea trap. Pupae hatch when there are changes in light (like a shadow of a pet walking by), and in response to heat and vibration. Without stimuli, they patiently wait for very long periods of time.

Adult fleas are easily killed by many chemicals, but by FAR, the most important part of flea treatment is to treat EVERY PET, indoor and out. For every female flea that hatches onto an untreated pet, you have 40 more eggs in your home PER DAY to deal with months down the road.

Also remember that killing all the life stages takes months, so don't stop using preventatives. Frontline, advantage, and advantix are all good options. Frontline has a guarrantee where if you buy 3 months of product for every pet in the home from your veterinarian and use it according to their instructions, if you are still finding fleas, they will send someone to your home to find the problem (the yard, the neighbors stray cats etc.) and help you get the problem under control.

As others have said, vacuuming is a huge help, and you have to hit all the places where eggs and larvae are found, under furniture, in cracks and crevices, and where your pets sleep and rest. Vacuum like you are possessed, several times a week for a couple months, and this alone can control 80% of the flea population. The fleas you see on your pets constitute about 1-5% of the total flea population.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Misskiwi67 For This Useful Post:

Lauren and Hunter (08-26-2012),StickyFeetReptiles (08-24-2012),that_girl (08-24-2012),Whimsy (08-24-2012)

Thanks

I cant speak for fleas but I do believe that Ticks are becoming immune to Frontline in my area. We have been using Frontline regularly for many years now but these last 2 seasons we have had massively engorged ticks drop off our dog which have been found in the house near her bedding. Since this is not supposed to happen when Frontline is being used we inquired with two different vets in the area and both confirmed that they have had people complain about Frontline not working on their animals any longer and that we should try Advantix or another brand for a while.

As far as your flea infestation goes I would just hire a exterminator that can spray the basement. He will have to come back twice since the spray wont kill any eggs. Treat your pets and wash everything you can in hot water.

A tenant in one of my rental properties took in a stray kitten and became infested with fleas. They tried to deal with the problem themselves at first but in the end I got stuck with a exterminators bill, lol. It wasn't actually funny since I had a no pet clause in the lease.
    “they who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither nor safety”

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dobeyxxl View Post
    I cant speak for fleas but I do believe that Ticks are becoming immune to Frontline in my area. We have been using Frontline regularly for many years now but these last 2 seasons we have had massively engorged ticks drop off our dog which have been found in the house near her bedding. Since this is not supposed to happen when Frontline is being used we inquired with two different vets in the area and both confirmed that they have had people complain about Frontline not working on their animals any longer and that we should try Advantix or another brand for a while.

Not to go too far off topic, BUT even if you put Frontline on your dog, ticks can still bite and attach. Frontline should kill them off, but it doesn't prevent the initial bite and attachment, which is why a lot of people complain about the Frontline. It's not a 100% perfect product for ticks, but it's the safest out there. A lot of pets have reactions to Advantage/Advantix and Certifect - my Nyah girl included.