Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: help! basement infested with fleas :(

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default help! basement infested with fleas :(

Moved into new house...wondered why our previously flea free pets had fleas....find basement is INFESTED ! I hate using chemicals and have tried all kindas of natural methods to get rid of them and nothing is seeming to work. Does anyone have suggestions? I really don't want to bomb because as much as I hate chemicals ALL the animals would have to come out of the house including tanks for at least a day and I have no idea where I would go with them! I mean we have quite a large gecko collection...and a parrot that I'm most worried about...the dogs and cats we could take to my parents house...ahhh! Help!
    previously known as hermansmama

Thanks

Don't waste your money and risk your animal's health with bombs. Most vets do not recommend them anymore - that is an old outdated method. Honestly your best bet is Frontline Plus on each pet for at least 3 months, I would do 4. It's a long, slow process, but it works.

Please, please, PLEASE do not buy any flea products that are sold over the counter other than Frontline. Especially if it says Hartz or BioSpot on it, those products are known to kill pets. Frontline Plus all the way. So sorry you have to deal with fleas, they are the worst!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to that_girl For This Useful Post:

sericinda (08-22-2012),StickyFeetReptiles (08-22-2012)

Thanks

double post
    Last edited by StickyFeetReptiles; 08-22-2012 at 07:21 PM. Reason: double post

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by that_girl View Post
    Please, please, PLEASE do not buy any flea products that are sold over the counter other than Frontline. Especially if it says Hartz or BioSpot on it, those products are known to kill pets. Frontline Plus all the way. So sorry you have to deal with fleas, they are the worst!
    There are other competitors out there now that are exactly the same as Frontline. Frontline lost their patent this past year. As long as it has fipronil at standard market concentration, it should work. Imidacloprid, the active ingredient in Advantage II also works incredibly well, and I believe it actually shows better results.

Thanks

We did put advantage on the cats that are basement kitties. The dogsare only getting one or two a day from when we go in the basement and come up to the main floor. Our basement is half finished half where the furnance is and THAT'S where the fleas are. They literally jump on our pants when we go down there. Idk how to treat the house and keep them from reproducing down there...even if we treat the pet, since they don't go in that part of the basement its not going to kill that population

Ugh I hate Hartz products!

Thanks

The fleas need a host to live. Adult fleas lay eggs. When the eggs hatch and the fleas don't have a viable host, they die. The process takes a couple of months to complete. That's why you treat with Frontline Plus for 3 months, you have to break the life cycle of the flea.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to that_girl For This Useful Post:

TaraLeighsCresties (08-22-2012)

Thanks

They will die off because they don't have blood to feed on. Bombs aren't safe for reptiles or birds. You should maybe put a call into your personal vet just to confirm, and maybe they'll have other ideas for you. I talk to people who have flea problems day in and day out, and have sat in on flea treatment seminars.

Thanks

I'm by no means trying to counter what you're saying, sorry if it came across that way, I was typing on my phone and just did a quick reply, so I was rambling! Do you have any suggestions for ways to try and reduce the population with any additional methods (other than the flea topical treatments which the cats have already had)? We have tried daily vacuuming, and spreading borax (not sure if this really works, but I'm assuming it can't hurt!) in attempt to dry out the eggs...white vinegar, diatomaceous earth, and flea traps (Water in a bowl under a desk light)

Thanks

EDIT: Whoops! Someone beat me to it!
    You can also try putting a flea collar inside your vacuum to kill off any of the fleas you suck up while vacuuming.

Thanks

I had a flea infestation a few years ago. Here's what I did:

* Vacuum several times a day with a bagless vacuum. Chop a flea collar and keep it in the canister. Empty into a bag which you take outside after each vacuuming.

* Wash every exposed fabric in HOT water

* Sprinkle diatomaceous earth. It dehydrates them. I got mine at a pool supply place, but there is also food grade available. People use it also to dust chickens to prevent fleas and mites.

* Repeat for weeks. If they are cat fleas, keep the cats away. If they are dog fleas, keep the dogs away. If they don't have things to feed on they will die. If they are so bad they are biting you, that's actually good. That means there is nothing else for them to feed on. They will die on your blood.

It is rough. The eggs hatch from vibrations, so they can lie dormant for a long time. The daily vacuuming helps to hatch them out, and then the diatomaceous earth is good for the then killing of adults.

Best of luck. It is a long hard battle. I still have scars from the flea bites.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vienna For This Useful Post:

lauraleellbp (08-23-2012),Lauren and Hunter (08-26-2012),StickyFeetReptiles (08-22-2012),TaraLeighsCresties (08-22-2012),that_girl (08-22-2012)