Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: phoenix worms

Thanks

Default phoenix worms

so i decided id try something new and offered my chewie some phoenix worms yesterday and he went ape s**t for them. he ate about 5 small ones. ive been trying to offer gut-loaded dusted crickets 2 times a week and he only eat maybe one or two then he tries to climb out of his feeding box. he doesnt seem interested in crickets. trying to see what other live food i can offer cause i know phoenix worms aren't the ideal long term solution since they are a little fattier.

Thanks

Phoenix worms are actually a great feeder item and can be used regularly as they are high in calcium and very nutritional. The problem is that they are quite expensive so many choose not to incorporate them into a regular diet for that reason. Have you tried silkworms? These can be offered as a staple food item if your chewie takes to them because they are quite healthy. Hornworms can be offered as well, but these are a bit fatty and shouldn't be a staple, but they are good for hydration and bulking up an underweight reptile, or just used as a treat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cassicat4 View Post
    Phoenix worms are actually a great feeder item and can be used regularly as they are high in calcium and very nutritional. The problem is that they are quite expensive so many choose not to incorporate them into a regular diet for that reason. Have you tried silkworms? These can be offered as a staple food item if your chewie takes to them because they are quite healthy. Hornworms can be offered as well, but these are a bit fatty and shouldn't be a staple, but they are good for hydration and bulking up an underweight reptile, or just used as a treat.
    havent heard of silkworms nor hornworms lol. ill check with my pet shop to see if they offer these. thanks for the input though.

Thanks

Have you tried feeding your Chahoua inside of it's enclosure? That might induce a more aggressive feeding response.
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPLexus301 View Post
    Have you tried feeding your Chahoua inside of it's enclosure? That might induce a more aggressive feeding response.

i havent tried that yet. next cricket day i will try that though. thanks for the input.

Thanks

I have had good luck with the small phoenix worms living a very long time, way longer then advertised. I guess they have more room to grow without turning black and dying heading into the fly stage. Nice thing is that they can't climb like dubias, so for a forced roach free home like mine, they are a good alternative. They're not too expensive if you only feed a few every week or so, but the shipping compounds it. I still have some that Josh's Frogs was kind enough to bring to Frog Day for me, a few months ago now and they're stil alive. I did have one escape into the substrate and eventually turn into a fly, but that was gecko food I suspect =) Only saw it once haha.

Thanks

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this... I fed phoenix worms a few times. And each time I did, my guys loved them. However, I would find poop the next day or so, and I could see the phoenix worms were not digested well. You could clearly see the entire worm in the poop... so my question is, despite them being very good for the animal, is the gecko even getting the nutrients it needs if it's just pooping it out in solid form? (ew...haha)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mischiefunit View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed this... I fed phoenix worms a few times. And each time I did, my guys loved them. However, I would find poop the next day or so, and I could see the phoenix worms were not digested well. You could clearly see the entire worm in the poop... so my question is, despite them being very good for the animal, is the gecko even getting the nutrients it needs if it's just pooping it out in solid form? (ew...haha)
    Was the worm actually whole, or was it just the whole skin of the worm?

I've never had issues feeding phoenix worms to any of my reptiles, but I have seen with my Leos and Water Dragon where the skins of butterworms or mealworms were passed whole. The worm itself was eaten, it was just its shell that got passed, so for whatever reason, my reptiles just didn't digest that part of it.

Thanks

Haha, can't say I really took it apart Cassi. If I ever feed them again, I'll take a better look.

Thanks

I had some worms pass through whole when I just started feeding them to my chahouas,my observation was that I was feeding them too many at one feeding and they did better if I fed them less but more often.

I can see for someone that only has 1 or 2 geckos that it can be expensive but for anyone that has a group of them the phoenix worms are very reasonably priced with the benefit of not smelling and noisy like crickets.I am considering on buying a used wine cooler to keep them around 50 degrees to keep them well over a month so I can buy in bulk to reduce the price per worm in half!