Thread: First hatchling Chahouas! Now some questions about their care...

Thanks

Talking First hatchling Chahouas! Now some questions about their care...

I'm very happy and proud to report that my female Pine Island Chahoua's first clutch of eggs hatched last week (~118 days at ~75 degrees); they're about 5 days old now and appear to be healthy (e.g., quite active, particularly at night).

I currently have them together in a medium Kritter Keeper with paper towel on the bottom, a piece of cork bark, an upside down papertowel roll and shallow dixie cups of water and Repashy CGD. Is this suitable for the hatchlings? Is it okay that I am keeping them together or should I separate them?

In addition, I have yet to see evidence that they have eaten. I bought very small crickets last night and put one on the end of a tweazers and tried multiple times to put it up to the mouth of each gecko and neither seemed interesting. In addition, I've put Repashy CGD on the tip of my finger and tried to rub it on each of their noses in hopes they'd lick it off, but that doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Pictures of Mom ("Hocus"):

(Picture taken by Laura)

Pictures of Dad ("Lichen" owned by Laura):

(Picture taken by Laura)

(Picture taken by Laura)

Baby #1 ("Curtis"):

Baby #2 (TBD.):

More/better pictures of hatchlings coming soon....
    Currently Keeping:
    Mniarogecko Chahoua - "Chewies" (2.2.6)
    Rhacodactylus Auriculatus - "Gargoyle" (0.1.0)
    Rhacodactylus Ciliatus - "Crested" (0.2.1)
    Rhacodactylus Leachianus - "Leachies" (0.0.2)

**Wanted: 2 - 3 Year Old High-End P.I. Chahoua - Wanted **

2. The Following User Says Thank You to TroyNVie For This Useful Post:

sungmina (08-14-2012)

Thanks

Congrats on the babies! Hocus is gorgeous and Lichen is an amazing male...I bet these babies will be stunners!!
    Charming Chewies: Specializing in Grand Terre and Pine Isle locales of chahoua.

Thanks

Your setup sounds fine, other than the part about keeping them together. I would separate them immediately.

I normally don't offer live foods until mine are at least a month old. I want them eating the cgd reliably before I add in live foods.

Thanks

Oh my goodness that baby is adorable! A big congrats to you!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

That baby is freaking cute. Too adorable!!! Congrats on the hatchlings!
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

I hatched out 4 babies this yr so far , I have been keeping them in separate Critters Keepers and small exo-terra's.
    Paper towl, couple pieces of egg carton, spray once every night, I put in small crickets (5) in each cage and repeat once I see they are eaten, I also fill a small cap with CGD and water. After 3-4 days they all ate both crickets and the CGD. As hatchlings you want to keep their cage simple. Your adults are very nice looking

Thanks

So darn cute would love to see better pics! I prefer to give the new hatchlings food and water in rinsed out soda or water bottle caps. They are sturdy and re-useable. I have always kept babies together until they are eating bugs and even then I have never had them go after one another. When I have them together though I usually put in at least two caps of food in separate locations so there is no feeling of competition over the food source. Each hatchling is different I have had them go for bugs within a couple of weeks of hatching and I have had others that held out til they were closer to a month old before they became little bug machines.

At this point it is hard to see how much they are eating because it is such a small amount. I just always make sure there is plenty of food even once I separate them I normally keep two food bowls in there for a while just to make sure they are finding it when they want it. I don't worry too much about food wasting since it is such a small amount anyway. I also always place one of the bottle caps near the opening of the cork bark hole with a little fake leaf on the opposite side to give them a feeling of being safe and under-cover while they eat. The first couple weeks they hide in the cork bark a lot.
    Specializing in R. Chahoua

Thanks

I keep my hatchling chahoua the exact same as my hatchling cresties. My babies are placed in 6 qt bins with paper towel, a small fake plant and a small piece of cork. I start to offer CGD on the third day after they hatch and then about 3x a week after that. I use the .5 oz disposable cups. I don't offer crickets until about 2 weeks after they hatch and I mist about every other day. Temps are around 76 degrees here. I've hatched probably around 20 PI chahoua and this seems to work well for them. Good luck with your new chewie babies!

Thanks

I don't have useful advice, I just have to add an "awww" for the baby.