Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make my female gain weight?

Thanks

Default How to make my female gain weight?

BEST WAY TO HELP A CHEWY GAIN WEIGHT???
    OPPINIONS ENCOURAGED!

Thanks

Is your female at an unhealthy weight? Too thin?

Thanks

Gut loaded + dusted bugs! As many as she wants a few times a week, on top of leaving in the repashy or whatever you feed . I hand feed mine repashy 1x a week just to make sure they get the nutrients.
    ~ S a m a n t h a ~

Cresties, Gargoyles, Chahoua
    & a Labrador Retriever

Thanks

If your chewie is a healthy weight there is no need to try and power feed. Power feeding in the long run can cause issues due to force maturing before it is ready. If your gecko is active and eating well, let it grow at its own pace.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Thank you all. She is not too thin/unhealthy, but she has lost weight and I want her to recooperate faster. I will probably get a better gut load for crickets, but otherwise, THONGWEDGIE is right- Just let her grow on her own.

Thanks

For sure. The food schedule I recommened allows her to pick what she eats when she wants. Just to make sure there are always options available for them if they want.

How old is she? Did she loose weight after mating, moving or laying eggs? Or was it just a random weight loss?
    ~ S a m a n t h a ~

Cresties, Gargoyles, Chahoua
    & a Labrador Retriever

Thanks

Use CGD as the gutload, just take the old dishes out from her tank and give that to the crickets to feed on. For my chewie I give him insects about 2-3 times a week, and it isnt as many as he will eat in a sitting because then he would just stuff himself on roaches, instead he will get about 4-5 roaches, but he has CGD in there 24/7, and he is 46g and is about 14 months old. Depending on who you ask varies on how many insects they need. But I think the quality of insects is what plays a role. Roaches are higher in protein and a better food item over crickets, although it is understandable when people are not willing to feed them and resort to crickets instead. But allowing them just to stuff themselves on insects as much as they like. But also using things such as CGD as a dust instead of a calcium dust does help also, as not only are you gutloading your insects with a quality food you are still getting that quality and vits/mins using it as a dust. So if you offer insects 2 times a week, try one dusting with CGD, and then the next feeding with calcium instead of using calcium all the time.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thongwedgie View Post
    But also using things such as CGD as a dust instead of a calcium dust does help also, as not only are you gutloading your insects with a quality food you are still getting that quality and vits/mins using it as a dust. So if you offer insects 2 times a week, try one dusting with CGD, and then the next feeding with calcium instead of using calcium all the time.
    I don't know why I didn't about coating with CGD before, its a good idea haha! Can I ask though, does your calcium have D3 in it or without D3?
    GoodTimeReptiles
    C. ciliatus, M. chahoua, P. regius

Thanks

That all sounds great and i will try the older CGD with the crickets (thanks).
    To answer that 1s question about her weight. She was in her mid 40 Gram range when she bred (about 46 grams) and had not only kept up with that weight, but gained a few grams as she was gravid. Wgen she finally laid after about 3 months (+/-), she laid 2 very highly calcified eggs that were even bigger than what I am used to seeing and also they were laid on top of one another and STUCK TOGETHER. They still look great and the "magic donut" on both is very visible on both and in a great position on top. The eggs are super highly calcified, and a dark pink also which tells me they are both fertile. Now its a waiting game. As of now, she weighs about 37 grams and is on her way to a happy recovery and a happy next breeding season, however I might just wait till she weighs about 50 grams before next intro.
    Does this all sound good?

Thanks

QUESTION- If this is a stupid question, then sorry in advance for the bother, but i need to know.
    So, would the CGD serve as a food/vitamin source AND a source of hydration for the crickets as well.......or would I need to but cricket gel also?