Thread: $10 Basking Bulb vs. $1 Walmart Bulb?

Thanks

Cool $10 Basking Bulb vs. $1 Walmart Bulb?

I was just wondering if "Basking Bulbs" made for reptiles were necessary?

I mean why pay $10 at a Reptile store for a 75 Watt "Reptile Basking? Bulb when you can get a 75 Watt House Light from Walmart for less than $1?

They both seem to do the same thing.

I put one next to another on top of my Habitat and both seemed to give off the same amount of heat.

Are the $10 Bulbs just a scam to get your money?
    Saltwater Reef Tanks, Poison Dart Frogs, Lizards, Coins and Currency, Baseball Cards, Autographs, G.I. Joe

Thanks

The basking bulb may be giving off uv light. If I does not say that on the package, or you don't need uv, then I'd use a walmart brand bulb. You haven't noticed the markup on other pet items? A day night power timer costs 60 bucks in a pet store, but only 10 at home depot, and the only difference is one says zoo med.

You know that gel stuff you give to crickets? It's like 7 bucks a jar, but it was developed for gardening. You can get the same thing dry that you add water to for 15 bucks and it makes 2 gallons.

Flexwatt was made for gardening, and is a great heat source that's safer for reptiles, and only costs about 15 to 20 dollars for 3 feet. If you were to buy a zoo med under tank heater it's about 30 bucks for less than 1 foot.

I could go on and on, my point is, most of the time, garden and hardware stores are a better place to buy things for your reptiles than a pet store.

(you can even get uv bulbs cheaper at a gardening store)

Thanks

Basking lights are not UV as far as I know. You need both. IF it fits your needs, use the light bulb
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

I have a basking bulb for my Bearded Dragon that gives off heat, UVB and UVA light. Granted... it was 70 bucks... but they do make them

Thanks

I know alot of things (Timer, etc.) is alot cheaper than in Pet Stores for the same thing. I just didn't know if there was something special that you needed that was exclusive to the Reptile Pet Store Lights.

So how much are UV Bulbs at gardening places?

The Reptisun 10.0 is $50 at PetSmart.

Do the ones at the gardening stores tell you how much UVB they give off like the ones sold in Pet Stores do?
    Saltwater Reef Tanks, Poison Dart Frogs, Lizards, Coins and Currency, Baseball Cards, Autographs, G.I. Joe

Thanks

well what animal are you using it for? it will help us tell you what you need,

if youre going to the home depot for bulbs it is recommended that you get a UV tester, one that shows the uv index will allow you to buy cheaper bulbs that do the same thing, just because it says full spectrum doesn't mean it has the correct uv range for your reptiles, but the tester helps pick the correct one!

Thanks

You can use Walmart bulbs for heat, but I probably wouldn't use bulbs from the garden store for a UVB light. Giving your reptile MBD just because you're trying to save a couple bucks just isn't worth it.

I get my ReptiSun 10.0 UVB lights from Petmountain.com. They are only about $20, and they usually have a free shipping deal going on so I get a couple at a time.
    1.0. Shih Tzu: Chuey
    1.0.Dutch Rabbit: Smudge
    1.0 Bearded dragon: Dudley
    1.1 Leopard geckos: Stanley & Stella
    1.0 Crested Gecko: Dexter
    1.0 African clawed frog: Squishy... and 0.0.6 hermit crabs!