Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ....another egg thread. Leaking/sweating or something??? at 88 days?

Thanks

Default ....another egg thread. Leaking/sweating or something??? at 88 days?

I can't tell what this egg's doing. >< It's 3 days before they're at 91 days which is when my last clutch hatched, so I figured since I've not changed incubation temps, setup, or anything that they should be close to hatching.

I can't tell whether it's just leaking/sweating or what... I can't see any defined slit from a hatchling trying to pip.

DX Ugh, this doesn't help my anxiety any. I have to leave in 3-4 hours to visit a friend at the hosptial(a bit scared of hospitals, so....) but I hope this egg does something by then.

Anyway, should I patch it or leave it?

Thanks

Unfortunately it looks really poorly calcified on the end where it's leaking, so it may just be a leak.

However, if a gecko's trying to get out at that end it could be having trouble sawing through the thick matrixing... but they will generally try to make a slit in another part of the egg if they can't get out of one spot. And I say "generally" because there are always exceptions to every rule. It's a kind of up-to-you thing :/

Thanks

Yep, but it doesn't look as bad as my /last/ clutch of eggs which were all around very poorly calcified(my female gecko's first eggs ever in her life). I had to open both eggs manually after waiting to see if they could get out on their own. One hatchling made it, I waited too long with the other one.

Anyway, I assume it's another one of those things that's a 'Cut it or leave it, your choice, no one can tell you what to do' thing.
    I just don't want to cut it too early. Another one of my eggs that keeps springing a leak I just patch, but it's not even at 60 days yet... this one's different since the baby could be ready to come out.

Thanks

oops, didn't think last post sent
    Last edited by fluffpuffgerbil; 08-07-2012 at 03:45 PM. Reason: double post

Thanks

Well, upon closer examination of the egg, I found there there was not one. Not two. But THREE slits in the egg from the gecko. So I decided to carefully cut open the egg and take the baby out. Found a fully formed, but seemingly lifeless hatchling. It's probably dead, but I'm not throwing it out yet. I put it in a deli cup with damp papertowl, but this happened to my first hatchling also. I waited too long to help it out and it died. The second one I waited 15 minutes from the time it slit the egg. 10 minutes of it fighting to get out, and 5 minutes of it making no movement. Cut it open and took the baby out and at this moment, that baby is sitting in a 6qt cage with papertowel and leaves, growing and living. I'mm keeping a closer eye on these next eggs... I know losing the babies is a part of breeding, especially from two previously virgin geckos(who lost their virginity to each other. xD), but it still sucks.... this time it sucks a bit more than last time. I thought that the second time wouldn't be hard since the first time wasn't but I'm wrong.... I can only hope the second one makes it alright.

Thanks

I'm sorry about this happening again. Atleast the second one seems fine! Good luck! And post any updates if the first one comes around!

Thanks

Thanks. =( It really does suck.
    I'm keeping such a close eye on the second egg from this 2nd clutch. I can't help but think maybe I'm doing something wrong? I might with my next eggs from my other female(if she ever lays any....) not put them on the GEO sorters, but just straight onto the substrate....
    I'm REALLY hoping that this second egg doesn't start to hatch while I'm at the hospital. Because if it has trouble getting out like the last one..... Yeah... Dunno if it's like this for other people, but it's becoming an obsessoin checking on the egg. I can't stop thinking about it!

I definitely will let everyone know if the first one comes around. It's really depressing to have to wrap the poor dead baby up in a plastic sandwich bad, then a plastic grocery bag, and put it away in the trash... (I don't bury my pets.... just don't.))

Praying for the best for this egg<3

Thanks

Maybe lower humidity is making the eggshell harder than normal. I agree with putting them sraight on the substrate so the egg can absorb the moister directly from the perlite or whatever you use.

Thanks

Perhaps, but I figured at 99% humidity, that shouldn't be an issue! Oh well, turns out that the psychiatric wing of the hospital doesn't allow visitors, so I'll be here all day to keep an eye out on the egg, which is probably a good thing. =)

Thanks

Good Luck!