Name:  Lonny1.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  88.5 KBName:  Lonny2.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  93.3 KBName:  LonnyFancy.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  83.7 KB

So…Repticon was a HUGE success today.

This is His Royal Highness, Lord Ascalon Johnathan Stickyfeet.

“Lonny” is an un-sexed Halloween Harlequin crested gecko, my favorite morph! I got him at a steal from Big Fat Geckos and I couldn’t be happier.

He’s extremely laid back and is going to be a beautiful gecko when he gets older. He’s only about half-fired in these photos, but when fired-up he gets really, really dark brown and his markings light up like fire. It’s amazing!

His enclosure is a 12x12x18 ExoTerra tall. Me and my pal Emi made the vines ourselves by twisting small floral vines from Jo-Ann’s. His two hides and feeding dish are from Goodwill. The stand his dish is on was a gift from his “grandma”, my mom! I like shaking things up with non-traditional hides and stuff, it's fun.

The leaves are maple and ginko leaves plucked from some faux branches I bought at Big Lots. He also has a little pumpkin. :>

The red hide is a candle holder and has a dip in the top that I will leave water in, in case he wants to drink it, and also to keep the humidity up!

Like I said, he’s very relaxed and an astoundingly beautiful gecko already. I almost cried at the con because I never thought I’d get my hands-down favorite morph today, let alone at the price I did. He was only $40!

I’m so so so happy. This was totally worth all the trouble it took to get things organized. :’D

Now, of course, I have some questions!

Mostly...What can I do for display lighting at night? I know they are nocturnal, and I worry that the regular light I have in at the top of that alcove might confuse or upset him. So what lamp and/or bulb would be best so I can watch him at night, without emitting too much heat? Or will his day/night cycle not rely on lighting?

Also, is there anything off about his enclosure that you can see?
    To note:
    --He has plenty of cover, hiding spaces, and climb-y things. [I think.]
    --He has a food dish that he hopefully won't fall into, and a water "dish" in case he wants it. [It's shallow so he can't drown.]
    --I'm using really fine coco substrate. I was going to get moss to mix in with it, but it was ten bucks [I'm on a tight budget] and the lovely ladies at BFG said it wouldn't be needed unless I was having trouble keeping the humidity up. If that's the case I will get some!

Any advice or comments are welcome. I'm elated to finally be part of the rhac club!
    2.1.0 Mixed Cats [Speedy, Ying-Yang, Nyani]
    1.0.0 Crested Gecko [Emperor Zen] {Thank you, Julie!}
    0.0.1 Corn Snake [Lord Penne]
    0.0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa [Sir Byakko]
    R.I.P. Little Ascalon, Queen Rose, and Babykitty.
    Icon: Zen Portrait by my good friend Guggles!

Thanks

At such a young age it is mostly recommended to use papertowels as a bedding because a eco earth bedding can cause impaction. Just a little info I thought i'd share looks like a cute one though!
    2.1 Leopard Geckos
    1.0.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1 African Fat Tailed Gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Go Go Geckos View Post
    At such a young age it is mostly recommended to use papertowels as a bedding because a eco earth bedding can cause impaction. Just a little info I thought i'd share looks like a cute one though!
    Oh! I thought that was only if you were feeding them crickets/live food or had their dish on the ground. I'll have to change that out tomorrow morning then, I guess. Thank you! :>
    About what age can I switch to normal substrate, do you think?

Thanks

Love love love the color in that setup!! And your little guy is a cutie too I'm definitely going to have to keep that candle holder hide in mind...GREAT idea!! think I might even have one around the house lol

We don't have any night viewing light (do have an infrared camera that I watch at work though) so no help there. I'm still kinda new to cresties so I'll leave the comments on everything else to the experts :P Contrats on your new baby!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by danelover79 View Post
    Love love love the color in that setup!! And your little guy is a cutie too I'm definitely going to have to keep that candle holder hide in mind...GREAT idea!! think I might even have one around the house lol

We don't have any night viewing light (do have an infrared camera that I watch at work though) so no help there. I'm still kinda new to cresties so I'll leave the comments on everything else to the experts :P Contrats on your new baby!!
    Haha, thanks! I saw the foliage at the store yesterday and the inspiration struck me so hard it hurt. I just had to go along with it! I use another, similar candle holder for my Bibron's, but I haven't seen her use it yet since she's mad at me for cleaning all her stuff yesterday.

Hmhmhm! I'll have to see what everyone else says. I was thinking maybe a blacklight or something that wouldn't give off too much heat or the herp equivalent, whatever it may be. I wanna be able to watch the lil guy wander around somehow. ;3;

Thanks

OMG that candle holder idea is BRILLIANT! I have a pretty pink one i can use for my girl coming in September! I needed a hide too, thanks! XD
    2.2.4.4 Crested Gecko ( Panchi, Cobar, Jodhaa, Mocha, Poe, Durc, Tivonan, & Stelona.)
    0.1 Leopard Gecko ( Mehndi )
    1.0 Tokay Gecko ( Ralphie )
    2.0 Dogs ( Mel, Buck )
    0.4 Cats ( Koyo, Lupin, Hope, Flop-Tail )

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Boanyoo View Post
    OMG that candle holder idea is BRILLIANT! I have a pretty pink one i can use for my girl coming in September! I needed a hide too, thanks! XD
    Wow, I had no idea I would spark a trend, heheh!
    Just make sure to wash it off before putting it in your enclosure, no matter where it's been. I use the usual 9 parts water, 1 part vinegar mix and it's gotten all my stuff squeaky clean and good as new. :>

Thanks

Usually they won't try to eat the substrate on purpose if they aren't fed in their cage but it's just a cautious thing I do lol. I lost one to impaction and I can't go through that again I changed my male crested eco earth after he was of quite large size. After losing one he is no longer kept on a loose substrate. None of my geckos are on a loose substrate anymore just to be safe. It's not as attractive as the naturalistic view but it ensures your geckos won't get impacted. (unless they eat they paper towel) If you do change the bedding I recommend adding a moist hide to keep humidity up if you see it dropping
    2.1 Leopard Geckos
    1.0.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1 African Fat Tailed Gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Go Go Geckos View Post
    Usually they won't try to eat the substrate on purpose if they aren't fed in their cage but it's just a cautious thing I do lol. I lost one to impaction and I can't go through that again I changed my male crested eco earth after he was of quite large size. After losing one he is no longer kept on a loose substrate. None of my geckos are on a loose substrate anymore just to be safe. It's not as attractive as the naturalistic view but it ensures your geckos won't get impacted. (unless they eat they paper towel)
    Aw man, sorry for your loss.
    Lonny's been staying high up and rarely on the ground for as long as I've been watching him, so I think I'll stick with the eco earth unless I see him getting too curious for his own good. Like I said, both his food and water dish are elevated, so he hopefully won't try anything.
    If he does, I'll definitely change it out!

Thanks

Oh! I have another question.
    About when will I be able to treat him to crickets? Seems I'm not supposed to handle him for a good 3-4 weeks to let him settle in. Can I start after that or is there a certain age/size he needs to reach before he can snack on live food? [I only plan on giving him a few once or twice a month, in a separate tank.]

Also does aaaanyone know what I could use for nighttime lighting? It'd be a shame if I can't watch him wander around when he's most active. :<