Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY fogger guide :)

Thanks

Lightbulb

Got this set up from my local goodwill and ACE hardware cost me $9 for the humidifier and $3 for the tubbing works great! I think the model is a little older but its a Sunbeam ultrasonic humidifier, Holds a good amount of water and really gets the job done have it set to go off for 5 minutes every hour. much better than the reptifogger you would buy for $50 that breaks in two or three months.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    0.0.2 Crested gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Full Ventral View Post
    One thing you'll need to do soon is get some pipe cleaner sticks the ones we all used to play with when we were little and clean out the PVC and tubing the mist creates some kind of clear build up I use gravel and water and just shake it around in the tubes and it does the trick. Just think about cleaning before you build or you'll have a really hard time cleaning.
    Just curious - what kind of water are you using? I've heard distilled water doesn't leave residue like tap water does.
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko: Kilauea, Coconut
    2.0.0 Domestic Short Hair Cats: Tigger and Pete | 0.1.0 Shih tzu: Ginger
    1 5.5 gallon planted aquarium

My iHerp

Thanks

Ohh you know what I totally forgot that I have hard water, that makes sense but I purify it before I put it into the fogger so that should get rid of most of the minerals right?
    0.0.2 Crested gecko

Thanks

It does get rid of some (enough to make it safe for freshwater fish and reptiles), but there are still minerals that can't be evaporated out or converted to something safer. The only way to remove them is to use an ro/di filter. Those are pretty expensive, so I think you'd be better off with buying distilled water.
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko: Kilauea, Coconut
    2.0.0 Domestic Short Hair Cats: Tigger and Pete | 0.1.0 Shih tzu: Ginger
    1 5.5 gallon planted aquarium

My iHerp

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shale87 For This Useful Post:

Full Ventral (12-16-2012)

Thanks

That looks great, i did a much simpler set up with an ultrasonic humidifier and some flexible dryer hose into a Blood python enclosure great job

Thanks

They all look amazing!
    This is definitely now one of my future projects.

Thanks

I LOVE this! I was just looking at my chewy's house today trying to decide if I should by a fogger but I'm going to do this instead! Plus it gives me the option to do what you did and have it go to two tanks, so in the future my crested can also benefit! Thanks for sharing this with us, fantastic idea.
    0.0.1 - Abel Gideon - Northern BTS
    1.0 - Timey Wimey - Crested Gecko
    1.0 - Sammy - Chahoua

Oliver has found a new forever home

Thanks

Sorry I haven't responded! Haven't been here in a while. We've actually only used this while on vacation once so far. It worked great but you have to be careful with it as it can let it too much moisture if not timed properly (we set ours up on a timer). Setting up a bigger enclosure in a "reptile room" where our snakes and geckos will be housed now and we're using the same fogger to humidify the entire room. If I set it up on certain enclosures again I'll post an update

Thanks

Hey danelover,

Does the humidifier release enough moisture for water to accumulate on the plants in the terrarium? I'm looking to get a tank set up for a crestie at some point, but we tend to go away for the weekends, so I want to make sure I have some sort of timed humidifier/mister in place before then. I've heard the reptifogger doesn't produce moisture droplets, so I'm either getting the monsoon/mistking or making my own. I would prefer to make my own, but if the plants don't collect water droplets I know my crestie could get dehydrated.
    1.0.0 Leopard Geckos (Odie)
    0.1.1 Crested Geckos (Zero, Unnamed)
    1.0.0 Cat (Charlie)

Thanks

If it's set right it will produce a good bit of moisture on everything...you just have to be careful and play with it so it doesn't produce too MUCH moisture - aka flooding the bottom of the enclosure (trust me on this, learned the hard way lol). Honestly, I like misting better since it gives you water droplets faster (the fogger takes time to build up to that point) and would love a MistKing (or to learn how to build my own mister! Someone tell me! LOL) but this definitely does the job for humidity, especially on a budget As someone said before, if you leave a water bowl in the tank plus use this your gecko would be all set!