Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY fogger guide :)

Thanks

Default DIY fogger guide :)

First, this was NOT my idea lol I got the idea from SBNMatthew here while looking for ideas on how to keep our humidity up in two enclosures while on vacation.

First step is to find an ultrasonic cool mist humidifier. Since Matthew used the one from Walgreens, I knew it worked so that's what we went with. They sell for about $40-45 there (could probably find something cheaper if needed) but I found mine on craigslist for $20 brand new

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/wal...017795-product

I'll start this next part by saying that no two setups will be the same after the initial connection to the humidifier. Everyone keeps their enclosures in different places so you'll have to get a little creative when hooking everything together. Our two enclosures just happen to be on top of a stand that we built for an aquarium so it already had holes drilled into it for a canister filter and storage underneath. Whatever you do, just make sure that you choose hose/piping with a big enough opening and get as much of the hose/piping as you can straight up or at a good angle to prevent moisture from building up inside the hose and clogging it up. We made that mistake on our first try lol If done properly, the moisture that builds up in the piping will drain back into the humidifier...no problemo! We chose to use pvc since we had a good ways to go up...this keeps it sturdier for us...but you can use hosing as well. Whatever works for you!

First, we put the humidifier in the storage area under the stand where we wanted it. We went to Lowe's and bought a foot of 1" ID braided PVC tubing. We found that this tubing fits pretty good in the opening of the humidifier that we purchased. To make it a little more snug and prevent fog from leaking out, we wrapped a little electrical tape around the end (about 5-6 wraps). You could also silicon the tubing into place if needed but we wanted a way to quickly disconnect for adding more water to the humidifier so this is what we came up with. All we have to do is pull it out, fill 'er up and stick it back in

We decided to start building from the top down from here on out so that we could make sure everything lined up properly, especially since we were using two different sizes of enclosures. Since we chose to go with PVC we got a 10' piece of white 3/4" PVC and the appropriately sized fittings for it. We used two 90 degree fittings (again, all fittings are to fit 3/4" PVC) with a small piece of PVC to angle the pipe over the top of the terrariums and point the fog into them.

Then cut the length of PVC that we needed to reach into the storage area of the stand we are using...

This is where it all comes together We cut a small 3-4" piece of the PVC and stuck one end in the tubing that hooks into the humidifier, then stuck the other end in a three way PVC elbow. Next, we measured the distance to be able to connect the two pipes into that elbow, cut the piping to fill the distance needed and used two 45 degree angle fittings to connect it all together.

Ending with this underneath the stand...

And that's it! It's that simple It cost us about $30 total and took about an hour to set up (cutting and fitting everything the way we needed it. So, lets see it in action! (I will try to get a video soon if anyone is interested).

First, here are our enclosures...this one is Quimby's. Quimby is a 2.4 gram, 3 month old baby and he's in a 8 x 8 x 12 Exo Terra Nano tall

Before:

After:

And this is Munki's. Munki is a 22 gram male and is in a 12 x 12 x 18 Zoo Med Naturalistic terrarium

Before:

After:

And this is just an extra pic to show the fog coming out of the top of little Quimby's enclosure...

We set this fogger up on a timer so that it will kick on only at night for 15 minutes every 3 hours. Seems to be working pretty good so far!!

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to danelover79 For This Useful Post:

Aquira (08-03-2012),Aristaela (08-07-2012),cassicat4 (08-03-2012),chosen2030 (12-29-2012),leaveittoweaver (08-04-2012),MrEyebrows (12-14-2012),noyes27 (08-04-2012),SBNMatthew (08-03-2012),Shutter (08-13-2012),Spyral (08-13-2012),Untaimed (08-04-2012)

Thanks

FANTASTIC!! Debating about adding something similar to my project.
    "May luck and happiness follow you and may you be shielded from misfortune." -Brisingr, book 3 of the Inheritance Cycle by Christopher Paolini

1.4.6.1 Crested Geckos, 2.1 Dogs, 1.1 Cats, 2.1 Lovebirds, 1.0.1 Other Reptiles

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazooguyz2 For This Useful Post:

danelover79 (08-03-2012)

Thanks

A very cool project. It's simple and easy to follow. This makes me consider doing one for my tanks.
    3.6.3 R. ciliatus; 0.1 R. leachianus; 1.1.1 G. gecko; 1.0 G. ulikovskii
    0.1 Heterodon nasicus
    1.1 Eumeces schneideri; 0.0.3 Bombina orientalis; 0.0.2 Archispirostreptus gigas

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aquira For This Useful Post:

danelover79 (08-03-2012)

Thanks

WOW! You did a GREAT job!!!!!

I am so glad to see that it WORKS!!!!! I dug my humidifier out...but it's not made like that one...so I'm hunting thrift stores and craigslist trying to find a cheap one.
    I have TONS of pvc pipe and elbows sitting in my garage with cobwebs attached Just need the humidifier and the tubing and I'll be in business))

WAY too many projects going on here..I need a pulling out my hair icon))

Getting ready to make slip covers with tulle skirts and some tablecloths for my aunt for her new business...I'm gonna be a sewing maniac)))
    MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
    I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
    Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CrestieCool View Post
    WOW! You did a GREAT job!!!!!

I am so glad to see that it WORKS!!!!! I dug my humidifier out...but it's not made like that one...so I'm hunting thrift stores and craigslist trying to find a cheap one.
    I have TONS of pvc pipe and elbows sitting in my garage with cobwebs attached Just need the humidifier and the tubing and I'll be in business))

WAY too many projects going on here..I need a pulling out my hair icon))

Getting ready to make slip covers with tulle skirts and some tablecloths for my aunt for her new business...I'm gonna be a sewing maniac)))
    Haha! I love DIY projects!! I'll have to find a place on here somewhere to show the topper that we built for our turtles to bask in. They're ROTTEN!!! It's fun to have another species to make things for Can't wait to start on the big display case/terarrium project!! Be sure to post pics of your projects too!

Thanks

Just set this up myself and it works perfectly. Got a really nice self timing humidifier off of craigslist for a steal! Also got the PVC for free off of craigslist. Made sure to clean and everything though to make sure the "fog" (cant think of a better word) didn't somehow carry anything that may have been in the pvc into my tank. But works and looks great!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AaronM757 For This Useful Post:

danelover79 (08-14-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

This is great! Much more involved and precise than ours.

We wanted to give a slight boost to the humidity to our chahoua and Uroplatus, so we have something similar that directs some humidity to the tanks but also releases it into the rest of the room (we live in a dry climate).
    It's combined with a misting system so we didn't want to create an overly moist environment.

Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Spyral For This Useful Post:

danelover79 (08-14-2012)

Thanks

Well, we went out of town last week and the fogger worked perfectly!! Did exactly what it was meant to do. Unfortunately, my dumba** step brother who was in charge of watching the reptiles while we were gone went a little mist crazy at night resulting in 1/4" of water at the bottom of both gecko enclosures and an EXTREME mold problem...we won't even go into what the turtle/fish/snake tanks looked like. ARGH!!! Let's just say we worked on it all for seven hours straight and STILL have more to fix *sigh* He's now banned from ever stepping foot into our house again lol

Thanks

Has the system been holding up now after?

Thanks

One thing you'll need to do soon is get some pipe cleaner sticks the ones we all used to play with when we were little and clean out the PVC and tubing the mist creates some kind of clear build up I use gravel and water and just shake it around in the tubes and it does the trick. Just think about cleaning before you build or you'll have a really hard time cleaning.
    0.0.2 Crested gecko