Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: multiple species (reptile + amph + fish)

Thanks

Default multiple species (reptile + amph + fish)

Hi all,

I've been thinking this new project over for years now. I want to create a large vivarium, actually i guess it's called a paludarium, for years. I've done various lizard habitats in my younger days. Mostly they were desertscapes, that's where I lived and my group of friends hobby was catching whiptails and desert iguanas. I've kept some tropical lizards as well with a good amount of success.

Now that I'm older wiser and more importantly have money to do it right, I want to build a tank with the approximate dimensions of 4h x 3wx 2d. The plan at the moment is to make it as self sufficient as I can. Taking apart the tank every few months to deal with feces and escaped meals isnít my favorite way to spend a weekend. With a tank this tall I want to have some arboreal lizard species, I'm thinking anoles, day geckos and house geckos. On the bottom I'm going to have a fairly large pond with some small fish. I havenít decided what kind of fish yet, but probably tetras (cheap and colorful) as well as some cleaner fish. To take care of any escaped insects I wanted to get a species of toad. That way they wonít compete for food with the lizard.

Now that I've set up the scene here's my question. I'm not too concerned with the lizard species, I've kept those 3 together before and had those breeding in fact, but does anyone have any suggestions on the amphibians? I've never kept them before. I thought maybe just fire belly toads but Iíve heard they can be very aggressive and are toxic. I've also read that fiddler crabs are good at clean up messes in lower areas. Please feel free to bring up any question you think need to be brought to light. The more I plan, the better chance of success I'll have.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Gumbo

Thanks

Sounds interesting! WAY beyond my level of expertise, but AWESOME idea!
    MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
    I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
    Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Thanks

I would hit up dendroboard, they have some beautiful paludariums on there. One guy has a large one kind of like you're describing with arborial frogs and fish. They would be a great source. (bow down to the frog gods)

Thanks

Default Thanks

Ok another question. I've been reading a little about day geckos and it's looking like they can be aggresive. Maybe the one I had was a little more docile. Does anyone have any recomendations for a docile smaller sized gecko? perferably a diurnal species.

Thanks

Fiddler crabs are brackish water so they wouldnt work well in this setup. Yes fire bellies do produce a toxin in their skin. Another problem...reptiles drown. You also have to think about any frogs or toads you add since many can get large enough to eat small reptiles or fish. Look into bumblebee toads, brightly marked and stay smaller.

What you would end up having to do is have several points of water escape routes, plants, rocks, vines coming out of the tank, which can make for a very nice scene. But the problem is anoles and phelsuma are quite territorial. Phelsuma do best as 1.1, there are very few species that do well in 1.2, or even 0.3. Anoles love to bicker, females will bicker, male/females bicker, the fight over basking spaces. Now dont get me wrong, I love both species, but be sure if youre going to attempt to have more than 1.1 in there, you will want 2 basking areas. Also consider size, giant species such as p.grandis, p.kochi and p.stangingi all get large enough to try and take down any smaller toads in the tank.

Really your choices are limited to the species you can put in there, you could do mourning geckos, however youre going to have to deal with the fact you are going to end up with babies and you will have to find homes for them. You might be better off doing this as an amphibian/ fish set up. You could do this such as climbing newts, the toads, smaller tree frog species. In the water you could do the tetras and shrimps. Would make for an interesting take instead of having to deal with the aggression of anolis and phelsuma.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Vampire crabs would work well in this set up. I'm not sure how well they co-habitate though.

Thanks

I don't know if this would be of interest to you, but I know of someone locally who has a set-up that sounds very similar to what you'd like to make and he houses a Chinese Water Dragon in his. These guys require larger enclosures as adults anyway, and would thrive in the humid and planted environment. He doesn't have crabs, but does have feeder goldfish and shrimp in the pool (which take care of the waste) as well as wood frogs.
    Regardless of what you decide...it's a very cool idea and I hope you post pics once you've finished.

Thanks

Goldfish create a huge amount of waste. Unless he has some serious gallonage, the last thing you want is goldfish or any other kind of carp.

I'd probably go with male only endlers or guppies and some glass shrimp, and I'd stock at 5gal per fish/shrimp pairing. Small, hardy fish that are lovely to look at as well. And if you understock like that, your shrimp should be capable of cleaning fairly well.

Thanks

I was thinking if my research didnt come up good for multiple species, I may go after making a chameleon tank. I wouldnt get a big water feature though, apparently chameleons dont do to well with water. I never really had too big of a fascination with Chinese water dragons but they may be a good option too.

Shrimp are a good idea. I saw one thread somewhere that used fresh water puffers. That may be an interesting idea.

I'm planing on making multiple sections anyways so having multiple basking areas wont be a big deal. I doubt I would be able to keep any of the animals out of another section 100%, but I will put feeding areas in multiple areas and multiple basking spots and hiding spots at various heights. I havenít come up with exactly how i'm going to do it though, but I still have a while to figure this all out. It will depend on primarily what I decide to put in the tank.

Mourning geckos are asexual? wow that's kind of cool. It might be worth finding homes for the little just for the novelty.

Also after doing the math, a 4x3x2 tank would be about 180 gallons and if i make it 4x3x2.5 it will be around 220 gallons. Dang... that's a big tank.

On a side topic has anyone ever heard of someone using an Arduino microcontroler to control the lights, pumps and misters?

Thanks

personally with a tank thats over 150 gallons, i would put a nice-sized reptile in it. have you looked into a tree monitor of some sort? of course they are expensive and different, but hey, its an idea. a more horizontal tank would be much easier to incorporate a water feature