Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My deformed little hatchling

Thanks

Default My deformed little hatchling

I spoke about this one a little bit in another post, but figured I'd post some pics.

This little one hatched about a month ago and although he was very premature and half the size of other hatchlings, seemed to be doing well at first. It wasn't until a few days later that I noticed he was stuck in his shed and after moistening his enclosure repeatedly hoping he would eventually get it off, I decided to give him a hand as he was having trouble walking around.

While picking at his shedding skin, he got frustrated with me and went to gape at me, which is when I first realized something was really off with his mouth. Since he is so tiny I'm still having trouble figuring out what exactly is going on with it. At first it looked like his jaw was broken because he was walking around with his mouth half open and was getting it stuck on the paper towel substrate and it was bending back unnaturally far, it was quite scary. After pissing him off a little more and taking some macro shots, I am thinking that it looks like his mouth is fused about half way back. He is able to stick his tongue out and I've had him licking up CGD, but it seems like he can't open his mouth all the way.

I also noticed that his one front leg is definitely deformed, and his other legs kinda bend inwards when he walks. He definitely doesn't walk straight and seems weak. He's still far too small for me to even really examine him properly, about 1.2 grams. His clutchmate never made it either. The egg eventually got moldy and I cut it open to find a deformed, underdeveloped baby that had already been dead for some time.

His mom has been laying for far too long, I've been trying to cool her for months, and she's regularly pumping out eggs every month, but they just look worse and worse every time. Her last couple of clutches have been so rough, the eggs have all kinds of cracks and lines in them, and it has caused her vent to get all cut up and now she has sores and scar tissue all down there, it's pretty bad. I don't know what to do. It's been almost a year since she's been bred, I hope she stops soon, she's destroying herself and her babies are getting weaker and weaker. I kind of just want to toss the rest of her eggs in the toilet to not even give them a chance to hatch weak little baby geckos.

Anyways, if you made it through all that... Here's some pics of the little fella... Beware... the last pic makes me shutter a little.

Mouth Closed:

Deformed Leg(s):

Lickin his chops:

Droopy lip:

I wasn't forcing his mouth or anything, this is him trying to bite down:

And how his lip sometimes seems to get stuck on stuff... ugh, makes me sad:

Thanks

Yep. His mouth definitely has a problem, and his right front leg has too much of a curve, almost as if the bone didn't fully develope. Do you have any tooth picks or coffee sturs? If so, I would suggest seeing if there is stuck shed around his mouth causing it to be unable to open. With the stur ( or tooth pick with sharp tip cut off), gently try to feel along the inside edges of his mouth and see if it is fused as in a defect, or if there is another problem. If possible, can you take closer up pics of the side of his mouth? Post updates!

Thanks

It looks to me like his bottom jaw bone didnt fully develop. Poor little guy. At least he has a good mommy to take care of him. And about the eggs, if you feel like it has to be done and the babys are just getting weaker, freeze them. It will insure that they just kinda go to sleep if they are a bit into their growing stage in the egg. I feel bad for mommy but shes just doing whats natural. I just hope she stops as much as you so she doesnt get sick or anything. I hope this helps a little. Hes just gonna be your special little guy and he knows it .
    3.5.10.6 Crestie Cuties -- Boys : Elmer, Raziel, and Samson -- Girls : Velcro, Lemon Drop, and Peaches (x2 no name) -- Little Ones : Duckie, Monkie, Tiki, Cayenne, Ember, Creeper, and joker (x3 no name)
    0.1 Halmahera Giant Gecko -- Fizzgig
    1.0 My Chihuahua Love -- Pedro

Thanks

Btw I'm very sorry about your female. I hope she stops laying soon. You could try shortening her photo period or putting calcium powder in her CGD.

Thanks

Thanks Geckolove hes doing alright so far, the first month is usually a good sign of overall health. It seems to me like his mom may not have given him enough calcium, the soft jaw, and what looks almost like MBD in his legs... It's really sad he wasnt given a fair chance. Now I understand why he had so much stuck shed, he can't bite it off like other geckos. I guess I'll just have to keep special watch on this ones shedding and eating habits.Akamaru, he's way too small for me to examine his mouth well at this point. I definitely dont want to hurt the little bugger. I think I'll just let him be for a while and check on him regularly, help him with stuff if need be... It's obvious there are multiple things off about him, there's not much else I can do at this point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Akamaru View Post
    Btw I'm very sorry about your female. I hope she stops laying soon. You could try shortening her photo period or putting calcium powder in her CGD.
    Thanks, it's frustrating for sure. She's an older breeder, has made many babies for me over the years. I think she will be permanently retired once she stops laying finally. I've been putting calcium in her CGD (which she always downs immediately) and been giving her the occasional dusted crickets. She acts healthy and happy, it's amazing how strong she is after everything.

Thanks

Yeah, she sounds strong to go through that. I guess with older breeders they get so used to laying eggs they for get to stop! lol

Thanks

This guy needs rescue-cal pronto. That is severely advanced metabolic bone disease. His left forelimb looks broken and swollen, and the bones of his hind legs are bowing from stress in their weakness. He needs to be seen by a vet. And by the sounds of it, the mother needs to be seen by the vet too.

If I had to guess, I would say he has some sort of disorder where he does not process calcium properly. I know a guy who bred leopard geckos who once had this problem. One of his females would throw babies that all had issues with calcium, even though they were from perfect shells and a mother with healthy reserves. It's no fault of your own that your gecko threw a baby with a problem like this.
    ~Rami | Nova Reptiles | iHerp | Facebook
    7.17.6.7 Crested geckos, 1.1 mix leachies, 1.1 Halmaheras, 1.1 African Fat Tails, 1.2 Tokays, 1.1 Oedura castelnaui, 2.1 Leopard geckos, 0.1 corn snake, & too many feeder bugs.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ihkura For This Useful Post:

Saille (07-27-2012),Treebiscuit (09-20-2015)

Thanks

I had a deformed hatchling last year from retained sperm. I was really relieved that she eventually did stop laying. I had already decided that if she laid any more fertile eggs, I'd throw them out. Seeing the poor lil guy limping around and gasping for air was too hard on me and he only lived for a day. Luckily, she only laid duds after that. I hope he does okay, but if he can't process calcium (my best guess) he likely won't make it long. Good luck...

Thanks

I'm guessing the egg was poorly calcified, resulting in MBD.