Thread: What do you guys do?

Thanks

Default What do you guys do?

After your geckos have mated do you seperate them or do you keep them together? I have a pair of breeders that stay in the tank with each other because the male doesn't bother her and they often sleep in the same plant or area and it looks like they snuggle lol. I was just wondering what you guys do?
    2.1 Leopard Geckos
    1.0.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1 African Fat Tailed Gecko

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Go Go Geckos View Post
    After your geckos have mated do you seperate them or do you keep them together? I have a pair of breeders that stay in the tank with each other because the male doesn't bother her and they often sleep in the same plant or area and it looks like they snuggle lol. I was just wondering what you guys do?
    I think most people keep their pairs together year round, barring fighting and bullying.
    The name Stella fills me with dread.
    Mondegreen Geckos
    >iHerp >Facebook

Thanks

That is what I thought everyone did except for a few places where I saw that they recommended to take out because of bullying
    2.1 Leopard Geckos
    1.0.4 Crested Geckos
    0.1 African Fat Tailed Gecko

Thanks

Yeah really if you just have one or two pairs going on, unless there's bullying or the females don't stop laying there's nothing wrong with keeping them together. It really depends on the health of your animals and how you feel about keeping your animals. You're with them, you learn how they interact and can see better than others if a year round pair would or wouldn't work out.
    The name Stella fills me with dread.
    Mondegreen Geckos
    >iHerp >Facebook

Thanks

I seperate mine. Males will get overzealous and females can get worn down energy wise after laying every month. Plus I've found that even if they get along, the male will eat less regardless (too focussed on his woman )

And the one time I housed girls together (two in an 18x18x24 exoterra) one girl beat the other one up nightly for no reason at all. So I just save myself the headache and the potential for vet visits and buy extra bins
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

I keep mine together about four months out of the year and then separate, this is enough time generally to get a couple of clutches of fertile eggs. I find that my males lose more weight than I am comfortable with. I just feel better having every gecko in the house, babies and females included in their own separate housing.

Thanks

I too keep mine separated. The male is rotated for a week or two at a time between the girls and then goes back in his own cage. If needed I rotate him through again. I like to keep stress and weight loss to a minimum. I like my cresties perfect, no scars or chewed up crests from a male constantly gnawing on them everytime he wants to get some

Thanks

I also keep mine separated just to be on the safer side. I place the male with the female for about a week and sometimes introduce a few weeks later if the female isn't gravid or laying yet. I do actually have one pair that I keep together because the female stops eating and loses weight anytime I separate them and they seem to do well together.