Thread: Water feature in terrariums

Thanks

Default Water feature in terrariums

Everyone loves a good water feature in anything... Disneyland, a zoo, garden, port a john... well.
    So here is the question. Do you have a water feature in your crestie's terrarium? Do you have any advice in the installation or construction of said watery feature? I know a lot of people say you shouldn't put one in because it raises the temp too much but i would not plan on running it all day so that's not a problem. So please if you have any wise things to enlighten me with please do

as always pics are a wonderful thing to share! Thanks!

Thanks

I have one in my dart frog terrarium. It was noisy, high maintenance, resulted in soil too moist for plants to survive for long periods of time, and pump clogged up and burned out in about a year. I designed the terrarium so I could access the pump during a deep clean, but I haven't bothered to replace it because it wasn't doing anything for the animals so it wasn't worth the time to make it work.

If I ever get the opportunity to make a LARGE terrarium where I can better separate the water feature from the rest of the environment, I might try it again, but I wouldnt recommend it for small terrariums.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

I have had multiple fountains in many different size terrariums. I have found they are only worth it in extremely large cages. The one I had with my crested, crickets always got in the water and drowned (This always concerned me because I didn't think a fountain full of dead crickets is very sanitary). After a year of cleaning it was just not worth it.
    The largest one I have has a 30 gallon reservoir with a 4 foot rock feature the water falls down. My Chinese Water Dragon just loves it. I have a medium pond filter at the bottom which I have found to be the best way to filter and pump the water back up. I run it 24-7 and have for almost 2 years. I have found that the falling water can get really loud.
    Water features are awesome but in combination with small reptiles and feeder insects I find they can get too dirty, too fast.
    Anthony

Crested Geckos - Gargoyle Geckos - Leachieanus Geckos - Leopard Geckos - Bearded Dragon - Frilled Dragons - Blue Tongue Skink Chinese Water Dragon - Red Argentine Tegu - Colombian Red Tail Boas - Brazilian Rainbow Boas

Thanks

the best way would to literally section off a part of the tank, because then you can control it independently. like put a plexiglass divider 2-4 inches up and do something around that. but with a water feature, you really need to make sure all the water has a place to go, like a false bottom to a filter kinda thing

Thanks

I don't do waterfalls...but I saw a video on youtube of a viv that had a really cool chinese dragon with fog coming out of it's mouth The fogger was on a timer and didn't seem to pose a drowning hazard.
    MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
    I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
    Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Thanks

I will be pimping my 18x18x24 exo terra so I think I will have enough room to section off a part for just a water feature. I am also thinking of putting a screen with some rocks over it for the collection pool. How exactly did you (post2post36) section off the water from the rest of the terrarium? I'd like to have a go at a fully planted terrarium so I think it would be best to make it separate as to not over water the plants or clog the pump.

Thanks

I have used custom cut glass and clear silicone to section off other tanks. I just did a false bottom in my dart frog terrarium, and it wasn't enough to drain the soil appropriately, nor was the fine plastic mesh screen recommended by other terrarium builders enough to prevent clogging of my filter and then my pump. Also make sure the pump is easily accessible. I thought mine would be, but it wasn't as good as I thought.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

I also made a waterfall for my dart frog terrarium. It's in a 18x36x24 Exo Terra so I had lots of room. The soil around the waterfall is pretty soggy but since the tank is so large, it wasn't hard to do a gradient. I would not recommend a water feature in a crested gecko tank since it presents a mold hazard and it would keep the humidity too high during the day and not let the tank try out like it's supposed to.
    However, frogs need the constant humidity and mantellas would even appreciate the moving water. IMO for an 18x18x24 Exo Terra a waterfall/stream would make the tank too wet and you could only use bog plants at the bottom. (Unless you make the stream, waterfall and pool 100% watertight which is easier said than done.) I would go with a drip wall with maybe a small collecting pool or a fogger for a tank that size.
    -Louisa
    Beachside Geckos
    My iHerp
    Facebook

Thanks

I have foam tanks with water in every one of my crested and leichie tanks, from 12x12x18 to 120 gallon. Circulation seems to be the key- I have no mold problems, no drownings, and the humidity is fine after adjusting the ventilation.

Here is an earlier thread about it.

http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...udarium-safety