Thread: Crestie breeding and lighting

Thanks

Default Crestie breeding and lighting

Hi ive recetly started a crested gecko breeding project. Ive done tuns of research and i just have a few questions i cant seem to find. Ive gotten alot of information off of this forum so i thought id give it a try. First i know that i should have a 12 hour light cycle. I have a simple incadesent bulb on a timer. What time do u guys think i should time it to turn on and turn off. Right now i have it set on from 8 in the morning to 8 at night. What do u guys think should be the best time time have it turn on and turn off? Next do you guys think i should be using a full spectrum light bulb. Wil the use of some kind of special light bulb enhance the probablity of them breeding? I noticed a lot of breeders have like a t-5 or a t-8 on top pf their breeding tanks. Can this help with bredding or really just for live plants? Thnks muchh. I know they do not require uvb light.

Thanks

First thing to think about is your schedule and are they getting any natural sunlight.
    Me and my wife are late nighters so are schedule is 10:30 - 10:30 but we don't get that much morning sun in our windows either.
    There are some negatives to an incandescent. They create alot of heat and if placed to close to the enclosure it will heat up the terrarium to extreme temps. Also not all bulbs are created equal. Regular house hold light bulbs don't replicate the the sun very well and the grow bulbs that are used for plants can get too intense.
    A lot people like myself use T-5 or T-8 florescence; for one I use a 4 and 2 foot bulbs which covers more than one cage, second they put off less heat.
    A major factor for what light to use is enclosure size. The taller the more intense light you will need to reach the bottom of the cage but in the same token you don't want a light to intense that it will heat up the enclosure to undesirable temps.
    Anthony

Crested Geckos - Gargoyle Geckos - Leachieanus Geckos - Leopard Geckos - Bearded Dragon - Frilled Dragons - Blue Tongue Skink Chinese Water Dragon - Red Argentine Tegu - Colombian Red Tail Boas - Brazilian Rainbow Boas

3. The Following User Says Thank You to themistocles For This Useful Post:

Ant4401 (07-19-2012)

Thanks

First, don't use incandescent; they create too much heat. Cresteds need to be in the low to mid 70's. As far as UV, you don't need it for nocturnal geckos. They need a light cycle, but ambient room light should be sufficient. However, if you want plants to grow, you do need a bit of UV. A normal, household, fluorescent bulb will suffice. You'll find that the cresteds try to stay away from it while they sleep during the day, so give them plenty of hiding places.
    Speaking for myself, I use fake plants, no light, and have plenty of egg production. It's just a matter of personal choice.

Noelle

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rcarichter For This Useful Post:

Ant4401 (07-19-2012)

Thanks

Only lighting my own Cresties get are the room lights, none at all over their tanks.

Thanks

I did find a 2 ft t-8 strip I had laying a round from an old fish tank that I threw on there. The other light did seem alittle harsh and upped my empertature to about a constant 80 degrees. The t-8s alot nicer lighting too. Ive got a 65 high in my basement with only alittle window in the corner so i relle dont think they are getting enough light. Ive had just a pair together for a couple months and I havent had any eggs yet. Their both really healthy and of good weight but i do think she is pregant now. Shes gone up 2 grams and has been digging in her lay box. I have a 55 long im working on setting up either a trio or 3 females and 1 male. I wanted to start off with just a pair until I had a couple successful clutches though. Make sure im doing everything right. lol I do have plenty of fake plants and hiding spots too.

Thanks

I did find a 2 ft t-8 strip I had laying a round from an old fish tank that I threw on there. The other light did seem alittle harsh and upped my empertature to about a constant 80 degrees. The t-8s alot nicer lighting too. Ive got a 65 high in my basement with only alittle window in the corner so i relle dont think they are getting enough light. Ive had just a pair together for a couple months and I havent had any eggs yet. Their both really healthy and of good weight but i do think she is pregant now. Shes gone up 2 grams and has been digging in her lay box. I have a 55 long im working on setting up either a trio or 3 females and 1 male. I wanted to start off with just a pair until I had a couple successful clutches though. Make sure im doing everything right. lol I do have plenty of fake plants and hiding spots too.