Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dented egg question (not a humidity issue)

Thanks

Default Dented egg question (not a humidity issue)

I have had eggs dented which hatched just fine. I've also had eggs dent, and not hatch. My best advice is that you should just be patient. If you see more than 120 days pass, the egg is not probably viable. I know it's tough, but it is a trial of patience.
    Be the change you want to see in the world. -M Ghandi

4.4.25.10 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus

http://www.teeny-dragons.com/

Thanks

Thanks for the reply! I hope the egg is still ok and I'll keep incubating it just to make sure. I wonder If I should still try and put a damp paper towel over that spot to try and un-dent the egg even if it's not caused by lack of humidity? Is it possible to have too much humidity? If so I guess I wouldn't want to put a damp paper towel on the dent only to make it worse

Thanks

the damp paper towel trick works, i use it everynow and then and it normally undents them overnight, i think some people say they try the high 90%s for humidity and have no problem so as long as they are not swimming it should be fine I guess

Thanks

I took a tiny piece of paper towel and wet it and put it right over the dent. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks

Well, my dented egg is still dented . I redampened the paper towel this morning and reapplied but I don't think it's really doing anything. I'll keep attempting the paper towel idea for today and if it doesn't help then I'll just leave it alone and hope for the best. This is only her second clutch of eggs and the other egg looks much better. I also cleaned out the incubation box last night and put in new superhatch since the other stuff I could see little white dots of mold. This also took care of the issue of maybe having too much water. Just wanted to make sure that had nothing to do with it. Here is a picture if anyone else has any suggestions I'd be glad to hear them. Name:  201.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  88.7 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Could just be a dud egg, but I would try to get the temps under 80 degrees, as that might stress out the egg. Plus, I think the humidity in the incubox should be around 85-90% but I don't think that's a hard & fast rule, but when you have the eggs suspended over the medium, they will dry out faster unless the humidity is high. That's my thought, anyway.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

I currently don't have an incubator for lowering temps. I'd like to get one but right now it's not an option for me. I've also heard some people say that it's not really good for the hatchlings since it would be a pretty significant temp difference once they came out? Not sure if that is true or not but high temps is one of the bad things about living in Florida I guess. Let me know what you think because I really would like to get one eventually and be able to lower the temps for longer time in the egg if the hatchlings would be ok once they came out of incubation.

Thanks

Lowering the temperature is the best thing. LAC herps did a study last year that showed 72 degrees was the ideal temperature for incubation to create lively, large hatchlings with good structure. Eggs incubated at higher temperatures hatched earlier, and the babies were smaller and weaker.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

The egg on the left just looks really poorly calcified - which could make the shell wall weaker and more likely to have "crumple zones" or the like. Perhaps it's also already leaked some which could also have caused the crumpling. If it's crumpling and having mold on it already, I would be freezing it and tossing it myself, but I just don't like to work myself up about the heartbreak of fighting with eggs.

I agree that I would definitely get something to start lowering incubation temps though.

Thanks

Hi Jaybee! I watch your videos quite often love them by the way. As far as the egg goes I'm still really new to breeding as is my female. I expect that the first few will either be duds or have some issues to start but I really hate to give up on the eggs even if they aren't looking the best. If her next clutch has another egg that doesn't look so good I think I'm going to separate the male out and give her a break till next season. Sucks because I was really excited to start this year but I waited this long I guess another year won't hurt. Thanks for all of the replies. I hate asking so many questions but at the same time I really want whats best for the eggs and the animals.