Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Baby Praying Mantis!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Default Baby Praying Mantis!!!!!!!!!!

A friend of mine has some Praying Mantis and her female laid some egg cases, and one finally hatched. I went over and she gave me the four that survived. They are soooo tiny!! Any help on raising them, or pointing me in a direction where I can get some info would be great. I put some freshly hatched laterials in there to see if they would eat them.

Without further adu...

(sorry for such crappy pics, they are just too small, the sticks in the pics are toothpicks!!!)
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

Toothpicks? Wow! They ARE tiny. I would probably be more inclined to try something like fruit flies. Those bugs you have in there (while tiny) look huge for them to eat.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

first seperate them they are canniballs!! then fruitflies as first food but they will eat just about anything they can catch. also try checking arachnoboards.com there is alot of info on strange bugs there. good luck
    "its our struggles that define us " Jamen Jasta

Thanks

OMG, so cute! Love the new additions, Christa!
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

wow..they are very tiny!! and like what sharp2 said...separate them because if they stay together any longer..one of them is sure to get eaten by the other...

Thanks

They will eat each other if there isn't a lot of easy to eat food. I would seperate them, or at the very least put them in pairs. Fruit flies are great first food, but they can eat anything their own size. They're really bad at catching food at that age, about 1 in 20 attempts will be successful. Keep them humid, and give them lots of climbing sticks. We raised ours in jars with paper towels on the bottom.

Thanks

Well, I have kept mantises for about 3 years. Those look like carolina or chinese mantids. If you don't want to deal with a 100 mantids coming from the oothica then you can generally keep them together up until L2. That is when they will really start eating eachother. Fruitflies are good to start with. Then you can just move to pinhead crickets. If it were a more exotic species then you would continue with things that fly. If you have any questions about mantises just let me know.

Thanks

Thanks Guys!!! I'll separate them tonight when I get more container's. I have them in pairs right now because I only had two cups. Ah, fruit flies, will definitely be trying that. They were native caught here in Missouri, so I don't think they are exotic, unless one escaped.

Again Thanks Everyone for the help
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

Baby mantids are great for getting rid of fungus gnats and the like. By the time the existing gnats and any late arrivals (from eggs and pupae) are gone, the mantids are too big to bother with them. They'll then be big enough to be used as feeders for small geckos or lizards, or they can eat crickets and other bigger bugs.

If you've got a stubborn chameleon, try feeding him mantids. Chams love green food but mantids seem to be the top of the green list.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher.

Thanks

Yes, flightless fruit flies are really the way to go for those little guys.

Good luck!

-Andrea
    Visit us online at: www.crestedgeckogirly.com
    Like us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/crestedgeckogirly21

Have YOU Hugged a Gecko Today?