Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M.i.A eggs?

Thanks

Just love the photo of Rye in her little leaf bed! Way too cute!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Gecko_Haven For This Useful Post:

Inkscrawlly (07-17-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko_Haven View Post
    At least her weight was up to a more healthy number prior to laying this clutch. Jeez....biting tongue, keeping other comments to myself !:mad:
    Agreed Wholeheartedly Cin! I can't imagine what she went down to after the first clutch (if it was first..) - My new scale was still in shipment. I Finished my little story, I'm not allowing my self to be mad But simply shaking my head and wiping the slate clean. As long as she Gains proper weight and is stop laying by aug/september i'll be content I love my little Rye cakes and she should hopefully get right back up to 35-36g or more.

6.9.4.7 R. Ciliatus
    1.0.0 Brooksi King

1.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus

AM Exotics

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

FYI, geckos (and other reptiles) can reabsorb developing eggs (follicles) but usually only if they haven't developed enough to be full-term, before the calcium has been laid down and hardened on the egg. Once the shelled egg moves to the oviduct during ovulation, I don't know if it's possible to reabsorb them, and that's when egg binding comes into play.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spyral For This Useful Post:

Inkscrawlly (07-17-2012),Untaimed (07-17-2012)

Thanks

I have had this happen to me too. She lost almost 5g and no eggs to be found. A day later and there are 2 eggs but did not loose or gain any weight. I never mentioned it because I figured I must have done something wrong but now I do not know what to think.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sekazi View Post
    I have had this happen to me too. She lost almost 5g and no eggs to be found. A day later and there are 2 eggs but did not loose or gain any weight. I never mentioned it because I figured I must have done something wrong but now I do not know what to think.
    it's pretty strange, I had to post it had me mind-boggled. I'm wondering what causes it to happen o_O

6.9.4.7 R. Ciliatus
    1.0.0 Brooksi King

AM Exotics

Thanks

well im glad you found them it is a strange occurrence, i didnt posted it either cause i just thought it was to strange, i mean you got to think if she didnt drop the eggs then why did they lose +-5 grams and then later on drop the eggs..where does the grammage go!?! crested gecko mysteries

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nsime For This Useful Post:

Inkscrawlly (07-18-2012)

Thanks

Yeah it's bizzare, shes up to 31.8g now

6.9.4.7 R. Ciliatus
    1.0.0 Brooksi King

AM Exotics

Thanks

Ok, this is probably a dumb question as I'm inexperienced with this, so please forgive me.
    I've seen it with leos where sometimes, they'll eat and drink a LOT in the week or so before they lay...and then completely stop eating or drinking and will defecate what looks like everything they've eaten in the past week in the few days prior to laying. It was my friend's leo that I observed this with so I never weighed her (the leo, not my friend ) but she appeared to lose weight right before laying.
    Is this possible with cresties as well, and could it explain the possible weight loss?