Thread: DALMATIAN!

Thanks

Default DALMATIAN!

Dalmatian Spots:

What are dalmatian spots?
    They look exactly like what you would see on a Dalmatian dog... Black spots. Well, itís not quite that easy. They have their own levels of degree and explanation much like the pinstripe. They are little areas of pigment that concentrate the color black in a circle-like pattern.

Here's a good starting point:

-Dalmatian spotting -Dalmatian -Super Dalmatian -Big spots -Red Spots -Green spots -Oil spots -phantom spots -Cluster spots

Below we will go into detail about what is known about this interesting trait.

Dalmatian spotting:
    When there are a couple dalmatian spots on a gecko but none of them are very significant in size or there are less than 25, itís called dal spotting. There really isnít enough to recognize as a trait but there is enough to not leave it unmentioned.

BY DARKPLATYPUS AND LYLWHITETIGER

BY THONGWEDGIE

Dalmatian:
    Many people mistake the term dalmatian as its own morph. Truth is, itís not. Itís just a very popular independent trait. It is common to refer to a gecko as a dalmatian in conversation but itís important to realize that 1- itís not a morph and 2- that is actually is a dalmatian. As mentioned above anything under 25 spots is considered Dalmatian spotting. So remember, 25+ spots is what it take to officially tack on Dalmatian at the end of a morph description.

BY ENTO890 AND KNUCKLEHEDZ

BY THONGWEDGIE

Super Dalmatian:
    When the spots on a dalmatian reach at least 100+, you have a super dalmatian. Typically a descent amount of these spots are also big spots, making for a nice spotty adult.

BY AQUIRA AND AGUIDINGER

BY CSLINCA

Big spots:
    Big spots on a crested gecko are those that appear to be as big a chocolate chip. Maybe slightly smaller or bigger but within that range and either way they are much bigger than the standard dal spot which is more the size of the tip of a pen.

BY DRAGONLVR AND DARWIN

BY KNUCKLEHEDZ AND DRAGONLVR

Red spots:
    When the spots on a dalmatian are red in color. This refers to each spot individually.

BY DARWIN AND EMILYLOVESHERPS

BY LIREPTILES AND SHADOWKORIN

Green Spots:
    When the spots on a dalmatian are green in color. This refers to each spot individually, black spots are black, red are red, and green are green. These are the three colors of spots known today.

BY EMILYLOVESHERPS AND THONGWEDGIE

Oil spots:
    Oil spots are like dalmatian spots but much lighter in color. They appear to look like a grease stain on your clothing after you dropped some taco meat on yourself. They are always there but sometimes they are easier to see once the gecko is fired-up. Not much is known really about this trait, or if it really even a trait. It has not been proven but has been seen.

BY THONGWEDGIE

Phantom spots:
    Phantom spots are not a darker spot either. They are more of a light grey in color. They tend to appear as the gecko is growing and are not visible unless the gecko is fired up. Like oil spots, not much is known about this trait, or if it even is a trait. It has not been proven but has been seen.

BY 003MENACE

BY THONGWEDGIE

Clusters:
    Clusters are when a dalmation has a group of spots that are tightly grouped together. They sometimes look like one big spot but are really a group of several.

BY EMILYLOVESHERPS AND GEKOGIRL

BY THONGWEDGIE
    STEVEN

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crestedkeeper For This Useful Post:

comicgeekchick (09-27-2015),ebcomposer (09-08-2013)

Thanks

There is a new type of dalmatian spotting that has been occurring in one of my red lines. I refer to the spots as "ringers". They are dark edged and fade into the center of the spots.
    Here is an example...

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Tom For This Useful Post:

crgecko (07-09-2014),finnabhar (07-09-2014)

Thanks

Thats neat. Than theirs what I refer to as the hatchling head spot, which is just a faded brown spot I see on a lot of flame/harly hatchlings. Heres a crummy photo I tried to take of one, you can kind of see the brown spot in the middle. I have others that show it better but this guy would sit still:
    Name:  securedownload-10.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  8.5 KB

Thanks

So "Super Dalmatian" in regards to breeding, since it is not a "trait" it would best be described as a line bred pattern? So super to normal yields babies with possibly some spots but not a guaranteed percentage? Am I following correctly?
    Thanx,
    Steven

Thanks

What about white spot?