Thread: Breeding, eggs, substrate questions....

Thanks

Default Breeding, eggs, substrate questions....

Hey guys, I have 2 females and 1 male in a 40H vivarium. I have hopes of producing and raising baby crested's, but because of the nature of my set up... the entire floor is eco-earth and top soil....Anyone have any ideas what i could do "ensure" that i find any laid eggs before they go bad, while still keeping the live vivarium style?

How deep do females usually bury eggs?
    How big are eggs typically? Ive seen a ton of pictures... but nothing with good point of referance to give me an idea how big they are.
    How often do you normally check for eggs?

Thanks

Eric

Thanks

You can gently palpate your females to tell when they're gravid. Eventually you'll get really good at it and will even be able to tell within 1-2 days of when they'll lay. My females usually bury their eggs about 2-2 1/2" deep. Eggs will be roughly 1" or so.
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot

Thanks

It will be hard to find the eggs in that type of cage without tearing the whole cage apart. But the eggs are usually 2-3 grams and about the size of Whopper (malted milk ball) :wink:
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

i dont know but try to keep teh eco earth dry and add a lay box for them. a box filled with damp vermiculate or moss or some sort. i have not treid thsi but i heard of peopel doing this

Thanks

Default i know how

when you are sure a female is gravid,take her out and put her in a simple "laying tank" this is what i do and it works flawlessly. but you can see from my pics that my tanks are pretty laid out and it would be impossible for me to find eggs. my laying tanks consist of 1 inch of vermiculite in the floor; two laying boxes(baby wipe containers with 1 in. holes cut in top corner) and a SMALL vine on the ground for hiding...you only need a small tank...mine are 20s...10s will do fine
    Rick Moss...Tigerbarr,inc.

Thanks

can the eggs jsut incubate in the soil? i heard eco earth makes the eggs go bad but what about regular potting soil. or whatever soil that becomes "biologically active"

Thanks

In my opinion the best soil to use is peat moss or a peat moss mixed with top soil. Bed a beast, eco earth, or any coconut coir fiber will desicate eggs within 72 hours. It should only be used if you dig for eggs daily!!!
    Hope that helps!

Thanks

hey mr parks, is peatmoss the tpe of soil u were reffering to when u meant "biologicaly active"

Thanks

OK first Mr. Parks is my Dad, but yeah, it can become biologically active as can most soils or soil mixes. Nitrifying bacteria is one of the essential components of life on earth. For more info do a search for the nitrogen cycle or nitifying bacteria, you'll be amazed.

Thanks

sorry, i jsut felt kind of rude calling you matt or soemthign.. i will research this as i am intrested that i won have to use any bugs in my enclosure