Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Pair??

Thanks

Question Good Pair??

im looking into getting this girl as a pair up for my red bicolor/weird flame-ish
    what do you guys think as a pair up?
    female:
    Name:  5Lf5Ib5E73G13Lc3M4c6u87fe6f1c53d21432.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  911 BytesName:  IMAG1040.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  104.4 KBName:  IMAG1041.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  102.0 KB
    male:
    Name:  Resampled_2012-07-11_22-21-18_155.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  91.8 KBName:  Resampled_2012-07-11_22-21-43_61.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  92.7 KB
    his red is definitely brighter in person my camera kinda picks it up as brown
    Thanks.

Thanks

sorry this should be a better size of the first pic Name:  5Lf5Ib5E73G13Lc3M4c6u87fe6f1c53d21432.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  20.9 KB

Thanks

I'd look for a nice red, IDK that you'll get anything you'll be able to sell breeding a red to a buckskin?

Thanks

not necessarily a buckskin... seemed like a tan or brown tiger or brindle, the lady said she had reddish stripes on her but idk ill have to see more of it i guess

Thanks

I don't see anything breeding quality about either of those geckos, you could easily do better.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

Question

uhhh i can say that the female is subpar and it was just a thought i wanted input on because i have heard many different things about crested gecko breeding and their genetics and that sometimes the parents dont even matter on the outcome of the offspring but the parents greater the chance of what you want and what is so bad about my geckos structure??

Thanks

here are better pictures of him...
    http://s839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/harro741/Omar/
    feel free to criticize as much as you want..i guess as much as i dont want to hear it i need to

Thanks

Personally, I'd pick some geckos with better qualities, using these two as a pair would most likely yield you the simple bicolors and patternless babies, which are not really "desirable" unless they have something highly striking about them, like say giant crests. You'll have a hard time finding homes for them, point blank.

Thanks

but omar isnt patternless. he is a flame. and im just trying to figure out what to pair him with. i wanted a female that was like a yellow or cream tiger to go with him and thats what i thought this female was and since i showed interest in her to the lady once i saw better pics and that she was darker i just wanted to know if she would still be alright and now i know not to pair him with her. what i want to know is where omar is lacking.

Thanks

Omar doesn't have great structure, and if he's a flame, I can't see it.

Reds typically have poor structure, but recent breeding has helped to make that better. You can see the male in my avatar, he has much more pronounced head structure and crests, and this is more ideal.

With a species as easy to breed as this one, really only the BEST should be bred because there is a huge over-population. If you have a place to find homes for 20 pet quality babies, then breed whatever you want, but you will find it easier to find homes if you breed better quality animals.

If you really love your male, you could probably breed him, but the female should make up for what he lacks in structure. You should pick a female that complements him, and while you can sometimes get lucky with random pairings, more often you don't. I paired up a yellow pinstripe and a red harlequin this year... I got 50% yellow tigers that I haven't been able to find homes for, and a couple nice yellow pinstripes and some wierd harlequins. Its not a pairing I plan to repeat again because it didn't work well for what I wanted at all.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie