Thread: "Lazarus", or "The Strange Case of the Zombie Gecko"

Thanks

Default "Lazarus", or "The Strange Case of the Zombie Gecko"

I wanted to share a story with the members here as I experienced something truly amazing this weekend. Before continuing, I wish to make the following disclaimer: AT NO TIME IS IT EVER "OK" TO SUBMIT ANY LIVING CREATURE TO EXTREME TEMPRATURES THAT HAVE BEEN PROVEN TO BE FATAL. THIS POST IS INTENDED TO PROVIDE YOU WITH INFORMATION IN THE EVENT THAT YOU HAPPEN UPON SIMILAR CIRCUMSTANCES!

And now... the news:

A customer purchased a crested gecko from me this weekend (no, smartbutts, that's NOT news! ). Despite being educated on care before the purchase and issued a care sheet, this person thought it would be ok to take the baby gecko out in the mid-90's heat in a small deli cup, then sit in the shade (because that's ok), put the cup ON THE CONCRETE and then proceed to drive home in a car that has NO air conditioning. An hour after the sale, he returns to say the gecko is dead.After "discussing" the matter... I am left with a deli cup containing a baby crested... it is limp and contorted... mouth open... tongue hanging out. Its right front leg is sticking straight out as if reaching for the lid while crying out for cool air it would never get. I rolled it over, massaged it, etc with no response. Unsure of the official time of death, but it was an hour after sale and he had to drive back with it... so it had been like this for some time. About 20-30 minutes after this, something popped into my head... a thought of something that seemed to make sense. The vendor next to me borrowed my spray bottle and then filled it with cold water. What if I sprayed the gecko? I opened the lid... gecko still in the same sad position. I sprayed it and it TWITCHED. Thinking it was post-mortum nerves until it closed its mouth and started breathing! I soaked the gecko and closed the lid. 15 minutes later, it was wobbling about the cup, very unsteady. I left the expo thinking it would have some sort of difficulty having been "dead" for on estimate an hour. When I arrived home I dug the cup out of the bin first thing, opened the lid and it hopped out onto my hand, walked up my finger and perched atop.

I will keep a close eye on this little one who will most-likely stay here for a long while and join Bubba on my site as another gecko with a survival tale. Again, this is offered so that if you come across the same emergency situation with a gecko, you can try this. By NO means is it to be deemed that it is ok to let them get excessively hot for any amount of time. Thanks for reading.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dragontown For This Useful Post:

Brosserew88 (07-12-2012),kadaysa (07-10-2012),SBNMatthew (08-26-2012),Spyral (07-10-2012)

Thanks

Woah! Snap! I would restrict this dude from buying geckos if I were the government! Amazing story!

Thanks

Wow, very glad the little guy made it! That would have been tragic if he hadn't.

Thanks

Wow! That's amazing that he's alive! It kills me that people have so little common sense. Poor little thing. It's still possible that it will have some lingering effects, but I really hope he's alright. He deserves to stay there with you or go to someone that will appreciate what this little dude endured and will pamper him for the rest of his life!

Thanks

Awesome. Oh my gosh I would have cried a bucket full of tears of joy

Thanks

Great story! Glad you have the poor guy back in your possession.

Noelle

Thanks

That's horrible that someone would do that . I'm so glad he pulled through. Hopefully he doesn't have any permanent damage!

Thanks

Great story! Definitely would not let that person purchase from me again though. >
    0.0.1 R. ciliatus
    1.0 R. auriculatus
    0.0.1 R. leachianus

Thanks

What a wonderful outcome to an almost tragic story! Thanks for sharing, it is good to know. I've had hatchlings seem dead before but never an overheated lil one.