Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SEVERELY, severely deformed jaw on crested. Quality of life?

Thanks

Default SEVERELY, severely deformed jaw on crested. Quality of life?

Long story short, an old professor of mine knew that I had a small zoo at home. Her son a few years back got a crested gecko from a local breeder. I was told she had a bit of an underbite, and that they were feeding her babyfood. I put the kibosh on that and told them where to get Repashy. She's been eating JUST repashy now for several years.

Ann's (my Prof) son who owned the gecko, moved across country to CA for school, and left Sally behind. Ann tried to take care of her herself, but decided it was too much, and so she tracked me down and asked if I would take her.

I said yes, my bleeding heart be damned. WELL this is Sally. I have had her in my possession for about an hour. She's ridic spazzy because she hasn't been handled in about two years, and reacts to any movement like you just waved a proverbial gun in her face.

I don't know what I should even DO with her, I wasn't in a million years expecting her to be as bad as she is.

I'll be switching her to a bin with paper towel as soon as possible. She's in a 12x18 zoo med, that is set up nicely for a crested---if she were a healthy crested. I was told her breeder did the set up too, and gave Ann's son a "deal" because of her jaw. But honestly, if the jaw looked anything like this at hatching, I think this gecko should have been culled. Yes, I am trying to track down the guy that produced her.

I'm thinking her mouth is just a breeding ground for infection and bacteria, seeing as she can't even close it. I mean, there has to be some pain associated with her condition right? Ann was all "oh she's just fine, grown quite a bit, eats ok" but we all know that reptiles don't show pain or symptoms until they are literally too sick or weak to help it.

WHAT in gods name do I do now?
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

My lord she is the saddest thing I've ever seen... Poor gal ): I can only imagine that is severely uncomfortable for that little lady. Might have been genetic, cause she doesn't appear to have any other kinks and her tail looks decent. I would say maybe give her a while to settle, observe her behavior a bit?

If she's acting normalish, eating and pooping and being a regular gecko then I'd say maybe she could get some calcium injections/supplementation and lead a somewhat normal life. Maybe when she was on the baby food the jaw broke in several places and never reformed correctly?
    3.3.11. -R. ciliatus
    1.1.0. -R. chahoua (mainland)
    0.0.1. - R. chahoua (P.I.)
    1.0.0. -R. auriculatus

Thanks

Her jaw is crusted black, and I'm thinking its old Repashy, and not substrate like I had originally thought. I'm wondering if its kinder to just let her pass before an infection claims her. I can't believe that Ann thought this was a normal, healthy animal. If a dog had a jaw this unhinged, or a cat, it would have seen a vet and been dealt with. It amazes me what even good people are willing to ignore when it comes to reptiles.

I hadn't expected her to be this bad at all. I'm just at a super loss.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Personally I think that if she's lived this long, she should get a chance to continue doing so (with the knowledge that something like an infection in the mouth will probably be what does her in eventually). If it were me, Id just resign myself to keeping her in a 'sterile' environment for the rest of her life. Like you were saying, a bin with paper towel and easy to clean dishes and branches. No substrate ever. Except for her jaw, Id say she looks remarkably healthy in the body. As for any crusted on food on the mouth, maybe she should be soaked a couple times a week to alleviate that maybe?

Im a sucker for special needs animals.

4.5.2 Rhacodactylus auriculatus__4.4.10 Rhacodactylus ciliatus__0.1.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus__3.4.2 Eublepharis macularius__3.3.2 Pogona vitticeps__1.1.0 Boa constrictor constrictor__1.1.0 Boa constrictor imperator__2.4.0 Gongylophis colubrinus__1.0.0 Python molurus bivittatus__1.2.0 Pituophis catenifer sayi__1.0.0 Pituophis melanoleucus__1.0.0 Elaphe obsoleta lindheimeri__1.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus guttatus__0.1.0 Python reticulatus

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Se-chan For This Useful Post:

Otolith (07-07-2012),Saille (07-09-2012),Spyral (07-08-2012)

Thanks

Poor gecko..................... Tough decision, but you sound to be on the right track to me. Sorry you have to be the one who decides.
    Thank You! -
    I have a lot of geckos......... I stopped counting.
    http://www.geckodome.com

Thanks

It will be an interesting ride, I'm sure. I misted her to see if she could lick her eyeballs normally even, and she just sat there. T______T she's gonna make me work for it. I'll definitely give her some time, I think I'm just already preparing for the worst. I've had rescues before of other species that should have been humanely euthanized, and instead I tried every trick in the book to keep them going. Its the worst feeling to find them dead in their enclosures, knowing they suffered at the end.

I'm taking everything Ann ever told me with a grain of salt too. She knows absolutely nothing about reptiles, and couldn't tell me where she got her, how old she was, or even how much she'd grown. Having next to no info has made this that much worse.

Getting this gecko now, on top of having to give a chahoua of mine antibiotics injections every second day just seems daunting too, ya know?
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Oh poor girl, I agree its a tough choice. While it might be said that she has lived this long (because of help from humans) at the end of the day who can say how she is feeling, does she have a good quality of life ?
    Last edited by sarasin; 07-07-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    www.Rhac-Shack.co.uk
    11.20. ? - R. ciliatus.
    2.2.1 - R. chahoua.
    2.2. - R sarasinorum.
    1.5 - R auriculatus.
    1.1 - R. leachianus leachianus Mt Kogis.

Thanks

Have you looked into her mouth at all? Maybe using a moist q-tip. See if her calcium sacs are healthy (relatively speaking). If they are, and the only thing wrong is the severe jaw deformity, then i'd say she has a decent chance of having a good life if its in a clean environment that doesnt endanger her deformity. If they arent there, then I dont know.

4.5.2 Rhacodactylus auriculatus__4.4.10 Rhacodactylus ciliatus__0.1.0 Rhacodactylus leachianus__3.4.2 Eublepharis macularius__3.3.2 Pogona vitticeps__1.1.0 Boa constrictor constrictor__1.1.0 Boa constrictor imperator__2.4.0 Gongylophis colubrinus__1.0.0 Python molurus bivittatus__1.2.0 Pituophis catenifer sayi__1.0.0 Pituophis melanoleucus__1.0.0 Elaphe obsoleta lindheimeri__1.1.0 Pantherophis guttatus guttatus__0.1.0 Python reticulatus

Thanks

I just looked at her jaw with a 30x loupe, and a 60x loupe, and on the overhanging part, the flesh of her mouth is so swollen there aren't even teeth evident. The black crust seems to be Repashy. Its topical.

I circled in yellow where her teeth should be, and there's nothing. I might just take her in and have the vet look at her. She's so spazzy I doubt I will be able to do anything with just my two hands alone. But with that much swollen already, its only a matter of time before that area goes necrotic right? Not to mention I can't really imagine what the inside of her mouth looks like.

Also, opening the pics in a new tab makes them larger, allowing for a better look.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

Poor sweet thing. Her body looks quite healthy but it's hard to say how she's feeling...if she's in pain etc. If she seems healthy in every other way, I'd try to find a home for her where she could be the only pet and get a lot of attention. As a breeder, I'm sure it would be hard to find the time to devote to her recovery. Will be watching this thread...good luck!