Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tail Help

Thanks

Default Tail Help

I have not had to deal with a crested losing its tail, butI have a hatchling whose tail has seemed to flatten out from the tip and start drying up. I can't find any wound anywhere, and it doesn't look like there is a ring where it would have been constricted from shedding. He has been housed with one other hatchling of the same size for 2 months now without any evidence of aggression or bullying, and there is not an obvious wound I could find. They did make a big mess with their food a couple days ago and got covered. As far as I know he has not had anything on top of his tail or gotten stuck under anything. Would dried food cause something like this? Should I just leave it alone and wait for the small dry part to fall off? Will it travel up his tail?

Thanks

Infections can set in after the tail is injured, and sometimes it can spread to the body and harm them. It could just be dried food on top of a normally paddle-like tail (large pad at the tip). A picture would help a ton.
    iHerp
    Facebook
    1.2.1 Crested Geckos | 0.1 Leachianus | 1.0 Corn Snake
    4.2 Ball Pythons | 0.1 Blood Python | 0.1 Hognose

Thanks

It feels hard and dried out the last few centimeters. The rest of his tail looks fine.
    Name:  2012-07-05_10-28-53_531.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  92.6 KBName:  2012-07-05_10-29-32_189.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  89.9 KB

Thanks

I don't know if my situation was the same, but when I purchased my crestie, she had the same thing going on with her tail. I started applying Tear Gel to the tip twice a day to soften it (concerned it was stuck shed or simply dehydration), and then once she shed, her tail was soft and normal again. I'm not sure if the hardness was just a precursor to shedding or if it happened to be dried out for some other reason, but she's fine now.

Thanks

Ouch, it does seem to be dying at the tip, probably from a bite. If it starts to look swollen and red, and the red begins to creep towards the body, then it's infected. Otherwise it should fall off on its own.
    iHerp
    Facebook
    1.2.1 Crested Geckos | 0.1 Leachianus | 1.0 Corn Snake
    4.2 Ball Pythons | 0.1 Blood Python | 0.1 Hognose

Thanks

That tail wound IS your evidence that there's bullying going on. Separate them immediately! Wait one more day and that tail might be gone. It's happened to me. A 3 gram gecko ate its clutchmate's tail one night. I was shocked but now I know it happens.

You might be able to save that tail tip with a lot of care. You will know if the pad at the tip is still functional that that tail may heal back to full function. Keep the gecko on paper towels until the tail heals (it will take a few months) Spray twice a day but don't get the tank too wet, it encourages bacteria growth. Once the tail starts to look flaky at the end, help remove the dead skin with a Qtip. If you're lucky there will be healthy skin underneath.

Or the end will just dry up and fall off and you'll have a stub tail. If it starts smelling bad and spreading up the tail, then consider removing the tail (I hear about this a lot but haven't seen it happen more than a few times on the boards)

Good luck!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MoonriseGeckos For This Useful Post:

Spyral (07-06-2012)

Thanks

Thank you so much everyone! Is there something I should apply to it? He still seems to be able to move it and curls most of it around my finger, so I have hope for it.

Thanks

I don't recommend putting anything on it. Just make sure you spray it twice a day and let it dry between. That has worked for me. And patience!

Thanks

I wouldn't house 2 together. I did that as a mistake and now have a crestie with a shorter tail. The tail of your gecko looks exactly like mine did.
    3.1.5 Crested Geckos (Pangea, Petri, Pinwheel, Paco, Pistachio, Pepper, Pavi, Pacino, and Pita)
    ~And many other reptiles

Thanks

They are the only two that have been housed together and were separated as soon as I noticed his tail. They were originally put together because his KK cracked all the way down the side when I moved about 2 months ago. Since they were doing fine I left them together in a large KK hoping they would have enough space until I got everything moved around and got a new one