Thread: same room quarantine?

Thanks

Default same room quarantine?

Should an animal in quarantine be in a separate room as well as in a separate tank? I'm going to be getting another Crestie in a few months, and i'm wondering if i should quarantine her in a separate room from my Panchi. They will be at least 2 to 6 feet apart (the cadges), is that enough? I'm not planning on keeping them together, so that's not an issue, but i want to keep them both in the same room.

Thanks!
    2.2.4.4 Crested Gecko ( Panchi, Cobar, Jodhaa, Mocha, Poe, Durc, Tivonan, & Stelona.)
    0.1 Leopard Gecko ( Mehndi )
    1.0 Tokay Gecko ( Ralphie )
    2.0 Dogs ( Mel, Buck )
    0.4 Cats ( Koyo, Lupin, Hope, Flop-Tail )

Thanks

Keeping them in the same room is fine. Just remember while the new one is in quarantine you should wash your hands when going from one cage to the other. After you make sure the new gecko is all ok then they can be little tank buddies.
    Anthony

Crested Geckos - Gargoyle Geckos - Leachieanus Geckos - Leopard Geckos - Bearded Dragon - Frilled Dragons - Blue Tongue Skink Chinese Water Dragon - Red Argentine Tegu - Colombian Red Tail Boas - Brazilian Rainbow Boas

3. The Following User Says Thank You to themistocles For This Useful Post:

Boanyoo (07-04-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by themistocles View Post
    After you make sure the new gecko is all ok then they can be little tank buddies.
    Or they can remain separated, even after quarantine, even moreso because the OP did state they did not plan to house them together. Which I fully agree with, as a personal preference.

I quarantine my animals in the same room. Though it mostly has to do with how YOU take care of the quarantine. AKA, make sure you wash your hands after handling anything inside gecko A's enclosure, and the gecko itself, before you wander around and handle things inside gecko B's enclosure and the gecko itself. Wash items separately, etc. If followed properly, they should be a-ok. =)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Nook For This Useful Post:

Boanyoo (07-04-2012)

Thanks

Quarrantine can occur in the same room.

You should handle quarrantined animals last, wash your hands between groups, and the quarrantined animals should have their own separate set of cleaning tools, dishes and foliage that is not mixed between groups.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Misskiwi67 For This Useful Post:

Boanyoo (07-04-2012)

Thanks

i try and quarantine in a different room if i can i find the bathroom can be a decent quarantine room. If its not possible try doing so on the complete opposite side of the room 2 feet imo is not far enough apart. a slight breeze or movement of you could easily move things through the air 2 feet.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to limegreenartist For This Useful Post:

Boanyoo (07-04-2012)

Thanks

Thanks everybody!!
    2.2.4.4 Crested Gecko ( Panchi, Cobar, Jodhaa, Mocha, Poe, Durc, Tivonan, & Stelona.)
    2.0 Dogs ( Mel, Buck )

Thanks

Wow! New info to me! I always QTd my new geckos in either the kitchen, wash room, or my mom's bedroom. XD

QT sure is different from animal to animal... Rats people want you to QT them in different HOUSES.(I just used the room farthest from mine)
    But thanks for the helpful thread! I learned something new today!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to fluffpuffgerbil For This Useful Post:

Boanyoo (07-09-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

With airborne diseases, you would want as much space between groups of animals as possible. I don't know if there are many with reptiles, I think there is a menace to snakes that people say could be airborne but I don't recall what it is, or if that's just a speculation. Anything that's exceptionally virulent would be a concern within the same room.

I usually QT in the extra bathroom and migrate to a separate area in the main gecko room after a few weeks of animals showing no signs of illness/stress. I like a minimum of 2 months before they are "cleared" from QT.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Spyral For This Useful Post:

Boanyoo (07-09-2012)

Thanks

Ahh cool. that was almost exactly what i was thinking, my only concern is temperatures in my house. we don't have central heating or AC so big temp fluxes are the worry if i keep her in the spare room. I have a good idea of what i will do now though.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    With airborne diseases, you would want as much space between groups of animals as possible. I don't know if there are many with reptiles, I think there is a menace to snakes that people say could be airborne but I don't recall what it is, or if that's just a speculation. Anything that's exceptionally virulent would be a concern within the same room.

I usually QT in the extra bathroom and migrate to a separate area in the main gecko room after a few weeks of animals showing no signs of illness/stress. I like a minimum of 2 months before they are "cleared" from QT.
    2.0 Dogs ( Mel, Buck )