Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 107 day old eggs sweating. Good or bad sign? :(

Thanks

Default 107 day old eggs sweating. Good or bad sign? :(

My very first (and most valuable) clutch started sweating last night. They have decreased in size, but don't have any dents and are still bright white. I've been incubating them at 69-72 degrees, and today is day 107. It's been about 24 hours since I first noticed them sweating. Is this normal, or should I be worried? From the research I've done online, it seems like most of the time, sweating eggs never end well. I'm betting the best thing to do is to leave them alone, but is there anything I can do to help them or ease my mind? I'm freaking out! Here's a pic if anyone is interested.

Thanks

While sometimes a change in temp or humidity can cause condensation on an egg and give it the appearance of "sweating," I'm more concerned about the decrease in size. That's usually the point that an egg won't make it, if the gecko doesn't get itself out.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    While sometimes a change in temp or humidity can cause condensation on an egg and give it the appearance of "sweating," I'm more concerned about the decrease in size. That's usually the point that an egg won't make it, if the gecko doesn't get itself out.
    Thank you for the reply, Jaybee! Do you suggest I just leave it alone, or do I dare cut it open?

Thanks

That is something I'm not really comfortable telling people, as it's a very personal thing. If I tell you to cut it, and you cut it and the baby wasn't done forming yet, I look like a jerk, and if I tell you don't cut it and the egg never hatches you'll wonder "what if." It's a call you would have to make. Unfortunately if it's been a day since the eggs shrank I wouldn't hold out too much hope either way.

Thanks

Yeah it is a personal decision. I have done it both ways and regretted it. Good luck!

Thanks

Ok, thank you guys! I've decided to just leave them be, since the other egg didn't shrink at all. I've waited 107 days already, I can wait a couple more I'll update this thread either way, so that anyone else who comes across this thread in the future will know the outcome!

Thanks

Best of luck to you.
    I will be waiting to hear an update.
    ~Lauren
    http://www.crestedmania.com
    http://www.facebook.com/crestedmania
    -Tons of Crested Geckos (200+), 2.3.6 Leachies, 3.2.2 Chewies, 4 Tokays, 5.1 Leopards, 1.4.1 Gargoyles, 1.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.2 Colombian Redtails, 2 Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Chinese Water Dragon, Red Tegu, Yellow Monitor, 2 Iguanas, 2 Cats, 1 Husband

Thanks

A lot of times my eggs sweat just before hatching.
    www.Gracious Geckos.com
    Specializing in (but not limited to) R. auriculatus!
    Facebook!

Thanks

Best of luck...looking forward to an update. Thanks for posting either way because its great learn all this when you are new to the hobby
    1.1.0 Kiddos
    0.0.1 Crested Gecko: unnamed
    0.0.1 King Snake: "Boots"
    Many Frogs-less tadpoles!

Thanks

I have an update, and it's not good The egg that had shrunk and was sweating for a couple of days started to get really soggy and today I noticed it was actually leaking yellow yolk. So, I opened it up and found a full term dead hatchling. I'm assuming it wasn't strong enough to get out of the egg, although I think I made the right choice to just let nature take its course. The other egg was still the same size, hadn't been sweating at all, and was still bright white. I opened that one up, and found a fetus arrested in early development. I had really high hopes for these eggs and I'm really bummed, but I know these things tend to happen with first time females. Here's a picture if anyone is interested.