Thread: "Ardesia"?

Thanks

Default "Ardesia"?

I found this plant at Home Depot (can take and upload photos if it will help), and it is labelled simply as "ardesia." I can't find anything about it online, I just get a suggestion to look for "ardisia" and it doesn't look like the same plant. Any one know if this is an approved plant for use in planted vivs WITH geckos in it?

Thanks!
    My iHerp[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks

If its the "Christmas Berry" or "Coral Berry" Ardisia then I probably wouldn't put it in a gecko enclosure reason being most people think the beautiful berries it produces are poisonous, although birds eat them and don't seem to die but you know our geckos are gonna try to eat them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Solar View Post
    If its the "Christmas Berry" or "Coral Berry" Ardisia then I probably wouldn't put it in a gecko enclosure reason being most people think the beautiful berries it produces are poisonous, although birds eat them and don't seem to die but you know our geckos are gonna try to eat them.

Its not "ardisia," like I said above. It looks more....compact, and is free of berries or flowers. I planted up my viv tonight and just didn't use it. I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and post it, I'd still like to know if anyone can identify it. It is a nice looking plant, and I'd like to use it in the future if possible.
    My iHerp[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks

Sorry, I don't know of any other Ardesias, and the Coral Berry is often spelled that way. I did a google search as well, and didn't come up with anything. Can you post a photo or two of the plant? Also, did it come with a plant-care tag? A lot of those tags these days, especially the ones that come from Home Depot or Lowes has a number code you can type in to get more info on the exact species you're dealing with.

Thanks

I'm sorry, my last reply came off wrong. (This is why I shouldn't write replies on my phone without re-reading them!)

The plant I have only has a "Houseplant - Foliage" tag. There is a sticker on the pot from the grower that labels it as ardesia. The other sticker, that does have some sort of identification number, just says "Asst. Foliage." I can add a photo later, once I'm out of work.

At this point, I think this little guy is just going to be a houseplant. If it is this hard to figure out what it is, I'll take the hint that it probably isn't reptile-safe. It's a pretty little plant, nice clean green foliage, and since I recently killed off my other houseplants (daily reptile care, okay; daily plant care, not so much!) I have plenty of extra pots.
    My iHerp[/SIZE][/CENTER]