Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! One of my geckos escaped!

Thanks

Default Help! One of my geckos escaped!

This is the first gecko that I've ever had escape... & he's a little guy... only about 5 grams.
    I have no idea what to do.. Where should I look for him?? Should I wait until night time when he'll be active or should I look for him now, during the day?
    If you've ever had a gecko escape, PLEASE tell me where you found them or where they turned up at..
    I really want to find him alive
    Any advice would be great!

UPDATE, UPDATE, UPDATE !!! :
    I woke up randomly at 2:40am to get something to drink, and there was little Sixx, running around on the kitchen floor!!! I was SO shocked. He had been missing for 3-4 days and my boyfriend and myself were pretty sure he was dead but I am so thrilled to say, he is safely back in his enclosure!
    Last edited by CarrieAnnsCresties; 06-22-2012 at 07:23 AM.
    Hi! I'm CarrieAnn
    6.5.6.0 Crested Geckos 0.3.0 Gargoyle Geckos
    1.0 Bearded Dragon 0.0.1 Savannah Monitor
    1.0 Yellow Belly BP 1.0 Chihuahua
    & a 5 year old daughter <3

Thanks

Look in all the tiny tight crevaces around the enclosure.
    At 5 grams it can be pretty hard to find them just from the size but I'd start setting out little dishes of water.

Look Up as well. Blinds especially.
    The name Stella fills me with dread.
    Mondegreen Geckos
    >iHerp >Facebook

Thanks

I've seen babies escape, but also just hiding. I've had torn apart my tank 2-3 times to find peanut and there he was hiding under one tiny leaf - or if you leave exo back grounds in they can climb behind them as well.
    As for peanuts big escape - he went high; he decided hiding by the ceiling was best, closest to the kitchen - maybe the humidity or the temperature was tempting. Our other escapes we've used a trap setting: Get the crickets that are their size and hopefully ones that make noise. Get a couple of dishes of CGD in warmer places of your home. Turn off the lights and make it dark.. tea lights and candles work best for your sight. Every 20 minutes or so do a sweep. I haven't spent longer then a hr working with my b/f to track them down.

Good luck! I hope you find the sneaky little guy... just leave some food out if you don't find him...
    4.9.3 - Crested Geckos
    20 Eggs ready to start hatching any day now.

Thanks

Not to mention in fans! I know there was a thread recently where someone escaped and was playing dare devil with fan blades!
    4.9.3 - Crested Geckos
    20 Eggs ready to start hatching any day now.

Thanks

I doubt that he's very far from the viv. VERY carefully take EVERYTHING out of the viv..one thing at a time...mine LOVES to cling to the underside of leaves and hide.
    Once you find him you will probably be kicking yourself for tearing up the WHOLE room...I bet he is within 4 feet of the viv.
    MyRhacdiction

1.1.3 Cresties, 1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Leopard Gecko
    I want a Chewie and a Rubber Boa next)))))))
    Let's just say my house is a zoo)

Thanks

I have had a few escapee's or rather little jumpers...but always found them...sometimes when not even looking for them!
    One ended up on a flip-flop of mine in the living room, one ended up under the sink in the kitchen...Just keep looking and keep positive! All the best!!
    ~Lauren
    http://www.crestedmania.com
    http://www.facebook.com/crestedmania
    -Tons of Crested Geckos (200+), 2.3.6 Leachies, 3.2.2 Chewies, 4 Tokays, 5.1 Leopards, 1.4.1 Gargoyles, 1.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.2 Colombian Redtails, 2 Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Chinese Water Dragon, Red Tegu, Yellow Monitor, 2 Iguanas, 2 Cats, 1 Husband

Thanks

ok places we have found them check neighbors cages both near and inside. Check warm places if your house is cool check high places and check low places normally they only go a few feet from their enclosure. Although we have found one that for some reason decided to go exploring down the stairs and into the basement before. Look all the time and everywhere hopefully you will find them. i also leave the cage open with food so if they wanna go home they can... Twix loves to visit neighbors, and either spice or gingerbread decided one day the shoe shelf across the room was a better place to be in than her cage.

Thanks

Escapees are always an adventure D:

When Kuu got out he went MIA for a day until I woke up at 4am and found him perched on top of Moose's cage, happy as a clam.
    Excalibur got away from me for two days and I found him UNDER my fan, right next to the window, freezing. Don't always assume they go towards warmth.
    Bailey got out for an entire week not too long ago. She went the furthest and managed to go across my room, up into my closet, into a closed and latched box and was found curled up inside a piece of my blender kit; she was very proud of her hide-and-seek skills.

My advice: systematically go through everything, starting from the area closest to the cage. They really don't go far. Their MO isn't too run away, but rather to find a safe place with cover to hide. Also, try to seal off the room as best as possible and ensure that nothing goes out of it; if you're going through things, just place what you've already searched neatly aside and continue, but don't remove it from the area just in case you missed the gecko!

Good luck! You'll find him! <3
    Crested Geckos: 11.15.10.2 | White-Lined Geckos: 1.3.1.4 | Leopard Geckos: 0.2 | Gargoyle Gecko: 1.1 | Leachianus: 1.1 | Chahoua: 1.0 | Crocodile Gecko: 0.1.1 | Sarasinorum: 0.1
    Russian Dwarf Hamster: 1.0 | Lionhead Bunny: 0.1
    [-| iHerp |-]

Thanks

Thanks for the help everyone!!!
    Hi! I'm CarrieAnn
    6.5.6.0 Crested Geckos 0.3.0 Gargoyle Geckos
    1.0 Bearded Dragon 0.0.1 Savannah Monitor
    1.0 Yellow Belly BP 1.0 Chihuahua
    & a 5 year old daughter <3

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnnsCresties View Post
    Thanks for the help everyone!!!
    A lot of us have totally been in your shoes!
    Any luck yet? Hoping so...if not just keep looking!
    ~Lauren
    http://www.crestedmania.com
    http://www.facebook.com/crestedmania
    -Tons of Crested Geckos (200+), 2.3.6 Leachies, 3.2.2 Chewies, 4 Tokays, 5.1 Leopards, 1.4.1 Gargoyles, 1.2 Bearded Dragons, 1.2 Colombian Redtails, 2 Brazilian Rainbow Boas, Chinese Water Dragon, Red Tegu, Yellow Monitor, 2 Iguanas, 2 Cats, 1 Husband