Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reptile That Will Mainly Eat Mealworms?

Thanks

Jeff, you are really making me want a beardie!!
    ~Melissa

Thanks

.. well its the easiest for food concerns, you just have to be sure you can handle their size... cage size requirments... feeding them crickets/roaches from time to time and supplement normal feedings with mealworms/superworms/silk worms more often then non. Veggi prices are obviously crazy, and these guys are piggies... and then comes the electricity cost for the heating (80 degree warm spot, 100-110 hot spot), with supplement UTH. Just for thought
    --Jeff--
    1.0.0 E. Macularius - Ice (Super Snow) / 2.1.2 R. Ciliatus - Orion, Spidey, Pumpkin,Bernadette,Penny/0.1.0 R. auriculatus -(Red stripe) / 1.0.0 Testudo graeca / 0.1.0 Acanthosaura capra / 0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps

Thanks

Yep, that's the only thing that's really holding me back - the size of their enclosure, and the fact that they need so much more food than smaller reptiles.
    ~Melissa

Thanks

It was always my understanding that superworms had less protein and more fat than mealworms, along with less moisture. I don't see why that makes them more appropriate than mealworms? (Source) I think either is a fine feeder, even a staple. However, both crickets and roaches have more protein and less fat, making them a preferred staple if such a thing is a concern, as some species are more prone to fatty liver and other issues. Also higher heat might rule them out as a staple for cooler climate animals like cresties.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spyral For This Useful Post:

KevinS (03-25-2013),TaraLeighsCresties (06-05-2012)

Thanks

Beardies should not be raised on mealworms, the protein is too low for them but worse yet their intestinal track the way it is laid out easily gets impacted when fed a stead diet of mealworms or super worms due to their high % of chiton.

Although I am a firm believe in there are better feeders out there then to stick with only one type which is known not to be all that great to begin with, are you against brednig dubia roaches? And roaches I believe are even less high in fat, higher protein and calcium then crickets. All around as far as a staple goes you cant beat roaches unless you go with soft bodied worms like silkies which would cost you a fortune to raise.

Like I said I personally do not like the idea of a mealworm only based diet however you can not disclaim those breeders who have been working with leos for years and grown them up generation upon generation on mealworms. I do believe some species like leos can do OK on a diet of just mealworms but they do need to be properly enriched with vits and calcium to insure a proper diet. But like I said I do not have just a single food source for all of my animals except my uroplatus and thats only because all I can get them to eat is crickets, they will no take to roaches, and that is common with them.

If youre going to do a beardie you will need to either invest in getting crickets shipped straight to you, or start a roach breeding colony, a growing beardie will eat you out of house and home (to which BTW UTH's are not needed for beardies, just heat and UVB). An adult does not require quite as much. But the bonus to the dubias is that they can be small enough to feed to your cresteds, or any other insect eating species you wish to get in the future. Another bonus to roaches is that if your colony gets too big they are pretty easy to sell off.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thongwedgie View Post
    But like I said I do not have just a single food source for all of my animals except my uroplatus and thats only because all I can get them to eat is crickets, they will no take to roaches, and that is common with them.
    Have you tried B. lateralis (Turkish Roaches/Red Runners/Rusty Reds)? Our U. phantasticus have taken a liking to them as they are a small, active roach, but we also feed crickets a couple times a month for the variety. We also have isopods and springtails in the tank, not sure if they eat them or not.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thongwedgie View Post
    Beardies should not be raised on mealworms, the protein is too low for them but worse yet their intestinal track the way it is laid out easily gets impacted when fed a stead diet of mealworms or super worms due to their high % of chiton.

Although I am a firm believe in there are better feeders out there then to stick with only one type which is known not to be all that great to begin with, are you against brednig dubia roaches? And roaches I believe are even less high in fat, higher protein and calcium then crickets. All around as far as a staple goes you cant beat roaches unless you go with soft bodied worms like silkies which would cost you a fortune to raise.

Like I said I personally do not like the idea of a mealworm only based diet however you can not disclaim those breeders who have been working with leos for years and grown them up generation upon generation on mealworms. I do believe some species like leos can do OK on a diet of just mealworms but they do need to be properly enriched with vits and calcium to insure a proper diet. But like I said I do not have just a single food source for all of my animals except my uroplatus and thats only because all I can get them to eat is crickets, they will no take to roaches, and that is common with them.

If youre going to do a beardie you will need to either invest in getting crickets shipped straight to you, or start a roach breeding colony, a growing beardie will eat you out of house and home (to which BTW UTH's are not needed for beardies, just heat and UVB). An adult does not require quite as much. But the bonus to the dubias is that they can be small enough to feed to your cresteds, or any other insect eating species you wish to get in the future. Another bonus to roaches is that if your colony gets too big they are pretty easy to sell off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spyral View Post
    Have you tried B. lateralis (Turkish Roaches/Red Runners/Rusty Reds)? Our U. phantasticus have taken a liking to them as they are a small, active roach, but we also feed crickets a couple times a month for the variety. We also have isopods and springtails in the tank, not sure if they eat them or not.
    Just have to remember that roaches are illegal in Canada unless you want to raise German roaches.
    Eublepharis macularius 2.1 Normals, 1.1 TUG Phantoms
    Rhacodactylus ciliatus 3.3.7.0
    Rhacodactylus auriculatus 0.0.4
    Lepidodactylus lugubris 0.2.0

Thanks

If you guys looked back at the OP, she can't stand crickets or roaches and does not have the ability to handle them to feed her animals, and has a hard time getting the live insects in the first place, just trying to keep the subject on topic
    --Jeff--
    1.0.0 E. Macularius - Ice (Super Snow) / 2.1.2 R. Ciliatus - Orion, Spidey, Pumpkin,Bernadette,Penny/0.1.0 R. auriculatus -(Red stripe) / 1.0.0 Testudo graeca / 0.1.0 Acanthosaura capra / 0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zerocoolxx For This Useful Post:

MelissaM (06-09-2012)

Thanks

Get a pacman frog.

Thanks

leopard geckos are one of the few geckos i would suggest for a mealworm diet. many breeders are feeding mealworms to leopards as their main source of food.
    tara leigh hit the nail on the head also with fat tails being picky. i haven;t come across a fat tail that really preferred mealworms and many won;t touch them so that would be tricky but most leopards will eat them. good luck

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhac On For This Useful Post:

MelissaM (06-09-2012),MrEyebrows (09-27-2012)