Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reptile That Will Mainly Eat Mealworms?

Thanks

Default Reptile That Will Mainly Eat Mealworms?

I just got a crested gecko, and I am considering getting another reptile/amphibian. (They will be housed separately, of course.)

I live in a rural area, so I would only be able to buy live food when I go out of town, which is about once a week or so. I can't stand crickets or roaches, and will not be able to get used to them. I don't mind worms, like mealworms.

I think I would like to get a frog next (if I can get one that eats mainly mealworms), and then another reptile.

Is there a reptile/amphibian that can have mealworms as it's main food source? Or am I out of luck?
    ~Melissa

Thanks

leopard geckos can have a main diet of mealworms. I normally start my hatchlings on mealworms and upgrade them to superworms around 4 months old or 20 grams.

Also being that you live in Canada roaches are illegal to keep, you can still get them in Canada though.
    Eublepharis macularius 2.1 Normals, 1.1 TUG Phantoms
    Rhacodactylus ciliatus 3.3.7.0
    Rhacodactylus auriculatus 0.0.4
    Lepidodactylus lugubris 0.2.0

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sammer021486 For This Useful Post:

MelissaM (06-03-2012)

Thanks

Definitely a Leopard Gecko or even an African Fat Tailed Gecko, the AFT's can be a bit picky though, so make sure you get one that was raised on mealworms.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TaraLeighsCresties For This Useful Post:

MelissaM (06-03-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sammer021486 View Post
    leopard geckos can have a main diet of mealworms. I normally start my hatchlings on mealworms and upgrade them to superworms around 4 months old or 20 grams.

Also being that you live in Canada roaches are illegal to keep, you can still get them in Canada though.

Thanks! I really like leopard geckos. It would be great if I could get one.

I didn't realize that it was illegal to keep roaches in Canada! :| Not that I ever would but it's good to know.
    ~Melissa

Thanks

I will be completly honest ... the saying is, if its a worm, its about as good as a stick of butter.. Short of Phoenix worms, most mealworms/wax worms are not as healthy as crickets/roaches/phoenix worms. I was told specifically by my herp vet to get my leo on crickets or possibly face FLD (fatty liver disease) due to higher fat content and lower over all nutritional value. I still feed mealworms from time to time mixed with wax worms (gecko crack) and he is maintaining healthy weight and size, but is mainly fed dusted and non dusted crickets.. am planning to get a small breeding colony of Dubia roaches at Hamburg show if i can find them, and see if the leo will eat them. But personally i dont not recommend a full on mealworm diet... but thats just my 2 cents, id rather my guy eat what he should, and live the healthiest he can...
    --Jeff--
    1.0.0 E. Macularius - Ice (Super Snow) / 2.1.2 R. Ciliatus - Orion, Spidey, Pumpkin,Bernadette,Penny/0.1.0 R. auriculatus -(Red stripe) / 1.0.0 Testudo graeca / 0.1.0 Acanthosaura capra / 0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps

Thanks

I have read about the reduced nutritional value of mealworms, but I do have some friends who have bought 3 geckos from me during the past 7 years and they feed exclusively mealworms. The geckos are quite healthy. One thing to think about would be to feed the mealworms, but to periodically get some alternative feeders via the mail. My recommendation would be silk worms. My leopard geckos love them. They also look and smell really nice.

Aliza

Thanks

Thanks, guys!

Yes, the fat content of the mealworms is my main concern.
    ~Melissa

Thanks

I was just thinking about this, why dont you look into a bearded dragon. Obviously the biggest thing to over come here is the size of the tank by adulthood, but its an animal that is docile, easy to care for, eats mealworms/superworms, and veggies. You should also feed crickets as a staple, but my friend feeds nearly only superworms to supplement his beardies veggie diet. They do require considerably different conditions when it comes to heat and light, but still its somehting that you could get by without using any crickets. I do agree with acpart on silk worms, which work for both leopard geckos as well as beardies, you can get someone else to feed a couple crickets from time to time, or Dubia roaches... plenty healthy. Hope this helps
    --Jeff--
    1.0.0 E. Macularius - Ice (Super Snow) / 2.1.2 R. Ciliatus - Orion, Spidey, Pumpkin,Bernadette,Penny/0.1.0 R. auriculatus -(Red stripe) / 1.0.0 Testudo graeca / 0.1.0 Acanthosaura capra / 0.1.0 Pogona vitticeps

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zerocoolxx View Post
    I was just thinking about this, why dont you look into a bearded dragon. Obviously the biggest thing to over come here is the size of the tank by adulthood, but its an animal that is docile, easy to care for, eats mealworms/superworms, and veggies. You should also feed crickets as a staple, but my friend feeds nearly only superworms to supplement his beardies veggie diet. They do require considerably different conditions when it comes to heat and light, but still its somehting that you could get by without using any crickets. I do agree with acpart on silk worms, which work for both leopard geckos as well as beardies, you can get someone else to feed a couple crickets from time to time, or Dubia roaches... plenty healthy. Hope this helps

I do like bearded dragons. People have said that they have a dog-like personality, which is pretty neat.
    ~Melissa

Thanks

Let's see, a very large reptile that you can walk on a leash, down right cuddle with, carry around and it'll just sit on your shoulder, deff puppy like I don't have the space for em otherwise that would be my current investment
    --Jeff--