Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: whats the best cat food?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by space.kace View Post
    thanks all for the great info

im not against feeding canned food but i don't think it would work well for my cat. if he doesn't have access to food 24/7 he becomes aggressive and destructive
    In this post: http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...eccomendations you said that it was without stimulation 24/7 he gets destructive, and his pics when shaved make him look kind of chunky. I don't think offering carb-loaded food constantly for an already "fluffy" cat is a good idea, especially if it's just to kind of shut him up.

Set feeding times don't work for this cat & i dont think having wet food out 24/7 would be possible. for example one night last week i forgot to top up his dish before bed and then slept in later than usual... while i was sleeping he was busy knocking everything off my shelf, eating a bunch of plastic and throwing up all over the hallway & then when i woke up he was there waiting by my door and started biting/attacking my ankles as soon as i opened it.... all that bad behaviour just because his food dish was empty for a few hours when he was hungry

i would much rather have him on a canned diet instead of the dry kibble but i don't see how we could make it work with knowing how he acts towards food....
    If you know your cat is destructive, it's a good idea to put anything he can get into away in drawers, cabinets, etc. Having food available 24/7 shouldn't be what you fall back on to curb his behaviors since it can affect his health. Here's a link that tells you some ways that work well in transitioning cats from dry food to wet - it encourages a few small wet food feedings a day but you have to take baby steps to get there with some cats.
    http://voices.yahoo.com/how-switch-d...d-6123894.html

Thanks

The vet who wrote/runs the website catinfo.org actually keeps canned food out 24/7.

This may sound weird, but . . .

. . . how does your cat do with other cats? When my partner and I had just ONE cat for several weeks (a 9mo-old Maine coon mix), he was a terror. I mean . . . an ABSOLUTE terror, attacking our hands and feet, knocking stuff off everywhere . . . but the moment we added a second cat and he had someone else to expend that energy on, he calmed down. We now have 9 resident cats (not that I'm advocating having that many unless you're extremely dedicated to being home a lot and taking care of your animals nearly every moment of it . . . we go through a LOT of cat litter) and a couple of them are very high-energy, yet not destructive. They have each other to chase, stalk, and "kill".

Do you have cat trees or anything he's allowed to get up high on? Does he enjoy getting up high? I think these are an absolute must for any cat owner as well.

Really, I think three cats is a pretty perfect number. We have so many because a few are completely unadoptable to the public (Savannah cat that requires dentistry often and has a few wild kitty personality traits, a tortoiseshell with a paranoid personality and a too-long tail who enjoys screaming at said tail in the middle of the night, a marmalade that was born a complete hermaphrodite and was attacked when s/he was young by another cat and has a few kitty PTSD issues and major bathroom issues that aren't linked to anything but behavior, so s/he has hir own large cat cage and TWO, yes TWO litterboxes (this was after destroying a large amount of carpet, two futons, one leather sofa, peeing on the kitchen counter, and going through a battery of tests at the vet), and a cerebellar hypoplasia kitty). All of these guys are rescues/rehomes, including the Savannah who was bought by a local vet that works with our rescues and then her husband told her "no," so she spayed her for free and gave her to us with her papers. XD

Thing is, if you get another cat, there's a long, drawn out introduction process. It's not a typical nonagressive dog I-sniff-your-butt-in-the-park-somewhere-and-I'm-good reaction.

I just really advocate that if you have a social species (and yes, feral cats DO live in colonies and enjoy each other, so your tame cat would, too) that you have more than one. Two dogs, two cats, two rats, two FEMALE mice (not male), two horses, etc . . . because it's just so nice to live with someone who understands your language.

But like I said . . . intros take work.
    3.4.5 Crested Geckos, 0.1 Nuu Ana Leachie, 3.5.1 Cats, 1.3 Dogs, 2.0 Rats, 0.1 Mildly Tolerant Partner

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thebluejackal View Post
    Innova Evo is one of the lowest carb dry foods, so we will be switching to that for our other cats from Taste of the Wild in the future. I wish we could afford to feed canned or raw to everyone, but it's just not possible for us with 9 cats and 2 fosters. Feeding all canned would be our ideal situation. I've learned a LOT about cat nutrition in the past month or so.
    Just a note, but I am a big fan of everything written here, EXCEPT recommending EVO, particularly the dry version. As a veterinarian, I see just as many pets looking crappy or getting upset stomachs on this food as I do on craptastic foods like Friskies and 'Ol Roy. There's something about the extreme protein levels in a dry food that doesn't work well with the digestive system.
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by space.kace View Post
    i would much rather have him on a canned diet instead of the dry kibble but i don't see how we could make it work with knowing how he acts towards food....
    Try it, you will be amazed.

If you sat down to the dinner table with a bowl of dehydrated apricots and a bowl of fresh apricots... how many of each would you eat before you feel full? Most people would eat half a dozen or more dehydrated apricots, and only 1-2 fresh ones. This is how our pets eat every day, and this is why they over-eat and act like they are starving all the time.

Canned food is more natural, tastes better, has healthier ingredients, and helps pets feel more satisfied despite eating much less. Its a win-win, even for a cat like yours!
    www.harleygecko.com : Color, Contrast, Structure
    Specializing in Harlequins and Pinstripes in Red, Cream and Yellow
    3.9.20+ crested geckos
    Harley - my first gecko, retired and spoiled
    Pickle - unsexed leachie

Thanks

I've been trying the BG (Before Grain) brand kibble, and my cats love it! it's not super expensive, and it seems to last a very long time due to no fillers. I go to a small pet store who's owner is fairly militant about animal feed, and it's one of the few cat food brands that she recommends and carries. I was using Acana before, but she said they changed the ingredients to the worse, and upped the cost at the same time, so she discontinued carrying it. I'm not sure what she doesn't like about Buffalo Blue, but she discouraged me from using it, and she refuses to carry it. If you want her name to call and find out why, send me a PM.

She tried to get me to use raw food, and I tried the Stella and Chewie brand. It made my cat vomit every time she ate it, and my other won't touch it. It's still sitting in my freezer. I might try that again as that's supposed to be the best diet, but it became a little bit of a bulimic nightmare for me. For wet food, I usually get Tiki Cat at the same store. Luckily, she's starting to carry limited reptile supplies, reptiles, and crickets One of the few places I'd trust to buy crickets knowing that she keeps everything healthy and clean in her shop.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Misskiwi67 View Post
    Just a note, but I am a big fan of everything written here, EXCEPT recommending EVO, particularly the dry version. As a veterinarian, I see just as many pets looking crappy or getting upset stomachs on this food as I do on craptastic foods like Friskies and 'Ol Roy. There's something about the extreme protein levels in a dry food that doesn't work well with the digestive system.
    I just talked to some people who run a pet food store about EVO. Apparently they started having issues once Proctor and Gamble bought it out. The information I read was a bit old and now we're looking at Nature's Variety.
    3.4.5 Crested Geckos, 0.1 Nuu Ana Leachie, 3.5.1 Cats, 1.3 Dogs, 2.0 Rats, 0.1 Mildly Tolerant Partner

Thanks

Our cat gets solid gold, both wet and dry. We actually made the switch because my dog is allergic to chicken, which was in the last cat food, and since my grandma refuses to believe that the cat food can be put up out of the dog's reach, I at least wanted something that wouldn't quite as bad if my dog sneaks into their room. Our cat has definitely benefited from the change from purina (no surprise there).
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

Try one bowl of dry, one bowl of canned for most of the day and of course a bowl of water! Try it?
    Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Thanks

I feed Fromm, and they get raw fish scraps and meat trimmings, depending (mainly giblets included with poultry from a friend's local farm). Plus whatever they catch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thebluejackal View Post
    The vet who wrote/runs the website catinfo.org actually keeps canned food out 24/7.

This may sound weird, but . . .

. . . how does your cat do with other cats? When my partner and I had just ONE cat for several weeks (a 9mo-old Maine coon mix), he was a terror. I mean . . . an ABSOLUTE terror, attacking our hands and feet, knocking stuff off everywhere . . . but the moment we added a second cat and he had someone else to expend that energy on, he calmed down. We now have 9 resident cats (not that I'm advocating having that many unless you're extremely dedicated to being home a lot and taking care of your animals nearly every moment of it . . . we go through a LOT of cat litter) and a couple of them are very high-energy, yet not destructive. They have each other to chase, stalk, and "kill".
    getting another cat is a big nono. if he sees one outside he goes nuts; growling and hissing and runs around super crazy to all the different windows trying to follow it straight up in attack mode. & this happened last year when i tried to stop him from attacking a visitor cat that was on my porch... there is blood but dont worry no cats were hurt. http://www.pangeareptile.com/forums/...blood-warning*

btw i think he gained quite a bit of weight AFTER switching to BB. why is that? the better quality foods with no fillers are suppose to make them eat less and loose weight rather than gain it? :/ his pouch looks twice as big and over all girth seems larger than before switching from royal canin. i took the pic today...

0.1 R. Ciliatus- Sandy
    1.0 R. Leachianus- Sativa (Nuu Ami)
    1.0 DLH Cat- Diesel
    0.1 Nova Scotia Duck Toller (Coming home soon)