Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: whats the best cat food?

Thanks

Default whats the best cat food?

i recently switched my 5 year old cat from crappy royal canin dry food to blue buffalo active living dry. the switch went great and i'm happy to have him eating a better food. now this bags almost finished i'm curious if there's anything better out there any one can recommened that i can get for my buddy next?
    0.1 R. Ciliatus- Sandy
    1.0 R. Leachianus- Sativa (Nuu Ami)
    1.0 DLH Cat- Diesel
    0.1 Nova Scotia Duck Toller (Coming home soon)

Thanks

I would recommend Innova cat food. It's really good high quality food, that is protein based. Has no corn or by-product and made in good ol USA! You can learn more about the food and compare it to others at www.seebeyondthebag.com

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Hello there!
    I personally don't buy dry food for my cat, I prefer canned portions.
    I used to order from petsmart.com and it was pretty much good.

Thanks

I'll just post a really long review post from another site. This post was last updated in March 2011. This comes from a forum that is very rarr-rarr-rarr about pet health.

=================

CAT FOOD BASICS:
    Cats are obligate carnivores, which means they require nutrients that are found ONLY in animal tissue. Cats need tons of protein and have no need for carbohydrates in their diets. Carbs basically just make cats fat and cause diseases, but dry cat foods are loaded with carbs because they help the kibble stick together in the manufacturing process. Canned foods are all very low in carbohydrates. Canned foods also have the added benefit of forcing your cat to consume more water, which is great because many of the most common cat diseases are improved by increasing water intake (kidney disease, UTIs, blockages, crystals, etc.). [If people want more info on this stuff, I'll add something later.]

So here are the criteria for a good cat food:

* High Protein
    * Low in Carbohydrates
    * High in Moisture
    * High-Quality Ingredients

If we're looking at just carbohydrates and protein, canned food is better than dry food. Even the cheapest grocery store generic canned food is better than 99% of dry foods. Canned food is more expensive and less convenient, so to keep things simple, there are separate lists for canned foods and dry foods. The brands are primarily ranked on nutrient makeup (carbs & protein), and then bumped down a notch or two for containing low-quality ingredients.

For brands in this list, if one company makes grain-free and non-grain-free foods, you can usually assume that their grain-free food is at least marginally better (lower carbs, higher protein). You can also assume that any formula labeled "light, diet, weight control, or indoor" is at least marginally worse (higher carbs) than the regular stuff from the same brand.

Some flavors of food are significantly better than other flavors of the same brand. There is a huge amount of variation. If you want more detailed and accurate information, post in this thread and we'd be happy to help you choose.

CAT FOOD BRANDS

Premium Canned Foods -- These foods are very low in carbohydrates and very high in protein. They also use excellent ingredients (no corn, soy, byproducts, or anything like that). Generally <15% of the calories in these foods come from carbohydrates, which is what your cat is designed to eat.

Blue Buffalo
    By Nature (95% Meat formulas)
    California Naturals
    Chicken Soup
    Innova
    Innova EVO
    Merrick
    Nature's Variety Instinct
    Solid Gold
    Tiki Cat
    Wellness

Good Canned Foods -- These foods are mostly a little higher in carbs and a little lower in protein, or they use some lower-quality ingredients in relatively small amounts. But they're still very good foods and better than most dry foods.

Authority
    Avoderm
    By Nature Organics
    Fresh Pet
    Natural Balance
    Nature's Variety Prairie
    Nutro
    Organix
    Pinnacle
    Purina Pro Plan (regular & Selects)
    Royal Canin
    Taste of the Wild

Acceptable Canned Foods -- These foods are mostly still better than dry foods in terms of nutrients, but many of them use byproducts, corn, and soy as protein sources. They may also use artifical presevatives/colors, menadione, and other low-quality ingredients. How good these foods are varies A LOT from flavor to flavor. If you have to feed these foods, I recommend that you 1) look at these two charts (here and here) and choose flavors with the biggest numbers in the protein column and the smallest numbers in the carb column, and 2) read the ingredient labels and pick the flavors with the least awful ingredients. You should also know that most of these "cheaper" canned foods contain significantly more water than the premium foods, which means you may not be saving as much money as you think. For example, if you compare the cost based on calories (instead of ounces), many Fancy Feast flavors are more expensive than Wellness.

By Nature Goldleaf Selects
    Fancy Feast
    Friskies
    9-Lives
    Science Diet
    Sophisticat
    Special Kitty
    Whiskas

Next, Dry Foods. In case you missed this before, CANNED FOOD IS BETTER THAN DRY FOOD FOR CATS.

Good Dry Foods -- These are the few dry foods that are almost as good as canned food (in terms of being low in carbs and high in protein). If it weren't for the fact that they lack moisture, these would be equivalent to Premium or Good canned foods. These foods are also extremely dense in terms of calories per cup of food, so many cats will eat 1/3-1/2 cups a day or less. In short, you're getting more bang for your buck.
    (For example, if you compare the costs based on calories (instead of lbs or kgs), Solid Gold Indigo Moon is cheaper than A LOT of dry foods, including Purina, lots of grocery store crap, and almost every food on the Acceptable list. These foods are expensive by the pound, but they really only cost $6-12 per month to feed an average sized cat.)

Innova EVO
    Nature's Variety Instinct
    Orijen
    Solid Gold Indigo Moon
    Wellness Core

Acceptable Dry Foods-- These foods use good ingredients, but they're too high in carbohydrates and/or too low in protein. Nutritionally, they're not as good as almost any canned food, but you could do a LOT worse. (These are mostly in the range of 25-30% carbohydrates; there are almost no canned foods this high in carbohydrates.)

Acana
    Before Grain (Merrick)
    Blue Buffalo
    California Naturals
    Chicken Soup
    Halo/Spot's Stew
    Felidae
    Healthwise
    Innova
    Nature's Variety Prarie
    Pinnacle
    Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken
    Taste of the Wild (Rocky Mountain Formula)
    Wellness (formulas other than "Core")

Poor Dry Foods -- These aren't quite as bad as the Awful Dry Foods, but they're close. These foods either have decent ingredients but huge amounts of carbohydrates, OR they have awful ingredients and moderate amounts of carbohydrates . Most of these are also pretty overpriced for what you're getting.

Authority
    By Nature
    Drs Foster & Smith
    Eagle Pack
    Eukanuba
    Flint River Ranch
    Natural Balance
    Natural Ultramix
    Nutro
    Organix
    Purina Pro Plan (regular & Selects)
    Royal Canin
    Taste of the Wild (Canyon River Formula)
    Wysong

Awful Dry Foods -- These foods are the worst - awful ingredients and tons of carbs. They're loaded with corn, soy, and byproducts. Many of these contain the minimum amount of protein required to be legally labeled "cat food". Many contain more carbohydrates than protein, which is a recipe for greasy, obese, diabetic cats.

Fancy Feast
    Friskies
    Iams
    Meow Mix
    9-Lives
    Purina Cat Chow
    Purina ONE
    Science Diet
    Sophisticat
    Special Kitty
    Tender Vittles
    Whiskas

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaybee For This Useful Post:

g3ckoLov3r88 (05-28-2012),sarahberry (05-28-2012),Silveretta (05-28-2012),that_girl (05-29-2012)

Thanks

To add to that:
    =========
    In early April 2012, some pet food was recalled due to Salmonella contamination. Since that time, the recall has expanded half a dozen times to include many popular brands. The affected brands are listed below.

4Health
    Apex
    Canidae
    Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul
    Country Value
    Diamond
    Diamond Naturals and more Diamond Naturals
    Kirkland Signature
    Natural Balance
    Premium Edge
    Professional
    Solid Gold
    Taste of the Wild
    Wellness

Thanks

I'm happy to see Authority cans on the good list, my cats got switched to it after my male got put on dry prescription for crystals in his urine. He gained weight up to a whopping 18lbs, and still was angry all the time. Without vet consultation I did my research and switched him to wet, and I'm happy to say he lost the weight and has had zero health problems and has turned back into my lap kitty. I'll never feed my cats dry again.

Thanks

The information that Jaybee posted should definitely be followed. Canned food is always recommended before dry food.

0.1.0 Crested Gecko, Kiwi
    0.1 Boston Terrier, Meko
    3.0 DSH cats, Bubba, Tony and Jake
    2.0 Guinea pigs, George and Stu
    and many fish

Thanks

Canned food before dry food, yes.

But what's funny is that I've found (using charts and formulas for the lowest carb food for my diabetic cat) that some of the cheaper canned foods are actually even lower in carbs than, say, Blue Buffalo. I need to check on some others.

Pates tend to be lower in carbs than shredded or sliced or chopped food with gravies.

Innova Evo is one of the lowest carb dry foods, so we will be switching to that for our other cats from Taste of the Wild in the future. I wish we could afford to feed canned or raw to everyone, but it's just not possible for us with 9 cats and 2 fosters. Feeding all canned would be our ideal situation. I've learned a LOT about cat nutrition in the past month or so.

This is the chart I use to watch the carb intake of my diabetic cat, who now needs MUCH less insulin than when we started him on this diet:

http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodNew.html

Dry food chart:
    http://binkyspage.tripod.com/dryfood.html

Those are a bit old, unfortunately, but good information all the same.

Low-carb/gluten-free Fancy Feast:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/glutenfree.htm

Some other good links:
    http://www.catnutrition.org/
    http://catinfo.org/

Unfortunately, it appears that cat foods were made as a bit of an afterthought once commercial dog foods caught on. Dogs can handle more carbs in their diet as they are NOT obligate carnivores.
    3.4.5 Crested Geckos, 0.1 Nuu Ana Leachie, 3.5.1 Cats, 1.3 Dogs, 2.0 Rats, 0.1 Mildly Tolerant Partner

10. The Following User Says Thank You to thebluejackal For This Useful Post:

sarahberry (05-28-2012)

Thanks

thanks all for the great info

im not against feeding canned food but i don't think it would work well for my cat. if he doesn't have access to food 24/7 he becomes aggressive and destructive set feeding times don't work for this cat & i dont think having wet food out 24/7 would be possible. for example one night last week i forgot to top up his dish before bed and then slept in later than usual... while i was sleeping he was busy knocking everything off my shelf, eating a bunch of plastic and throwing up all over the hallway & then when i woke up he was there waiting by my door and started biting/attacking my ankles as soon as i opened it.... all that bad behaviour just because his food dish was empty for a few hours when he was hungry

i would much rather have him on a canned diet instead of the dry kibble but i don't see how we could make it work with knowing how he acts towards food....
    0.1 R. Ciliatus- Sandy
    1.0 R. Leachianus- Sativa (Nuu Ami)
    1.0 DLH Cat- Diesel
    0.1 Nova Scotia Duck Toller (Coming home soon)

Thanks

It is good info. Canned food is better than dry food. Even the cheapest grocery store generic canned food is better than 99% of dry foods. Canned food is more expensive and less convenient, so to keep things simple, there are separate lists for canned foods and dry foods. The brands are primarily ranked on nutrient makeup (carbs & protein), and then bumped down a notch or two for containing low-quality ingredients.