Thread: Baby Bearded Dragon Help

Thanks

Default Baby Bearded Dragon Help

Hey guys,

My wife has a bearded dragon. It is probably 3 months old, we have only had it about 2 weeks. my wife and I went to the pet store to get some crickets yesterday, and they were totally out of the size we needed, so the store employee suggested we buy meal worms instead. we fed the little guy about 10-20 small meal worms, and he ate some greens as well. We went out and bought crickets today, and now he is not eating them. I did some research, and found out that baby bearded dragons should not eat meal worms due to their hard shells being difficult to digest.

Do you guys think he is not eating because the meal worms have made him blocked up, or sick? I have no idea what I should do, and i feel really bad because I told her that meal worms would be fine. It will be my fault if it dies.

He is acting normal otherwise. he is not lethargic or anything.

prior to today, he had been eating like a champ.

HELP

Thanks

Just want to update, I looked in his cage, and he had thrown up two chunks of meal worm. I would say most of the mealworm he threw up.

Thanks

Yep, mealworms are a big nono for dragons. Give him a good 15-20 minute soak in warm water and gently massage his belly to see if you can help him pass the blockage.

What substrate is he on and what are your temps?
    ~ACR Breeder #904~
    2.5 corns, 1.1 sinaloan milks, 1.1 crested geckos, 1.1 bearded dragons, 1.0 Catahoula leopard dog, 0.1 cat

Thanks

Agreed, I would give him a good soak.
    ~Amber~
    "Saving the life of one animal may not change the world, but the world will surely change for that one animal"
    Anyanka's Geckos
    Iherp
    RIP Willow, Darwin, Tara and Chai. I miss and love you all!

Thanks

He is on reptile carpet, the temps are 105-110 on hot spot, 75-80 on cool side.

I soaked him for 15 minutes and rubbed his belly. I didn't notice anything hard when rubbing, and he is still alert and mobile.

I just feel bad because I know better than to trust petco workers without looking up the info. And if he doesnt make it, I don't know what I'll do

Thanks

Your temps look fine and you don't have a loose substrate, so looking good! Give him a good soak for 10-15 min a day until he gives you a good poo. The warm water should keep him hydrated and hopefully loosen whatever blockage is left. Sending good thoughts your way!
    ~ACR Breeder #904~
    2.5 corns, 1.1 sinaloan milks, 1.1 crested geckos, 1.1 bearded dragons, 1.0 Catahoula leopard dog, 0.1 cat

Thanks

I don't agree with not offering your dragon mealworms. Variety is great, especially with food items. The problem many people have with feeding mealworms is feeding too many of them at a time. Because of the chitin in their shells, they are harder for bearded dragons to digest. You have to slowly introduce them to acclimate their stomach. Giving your baby bearded whose never had mealworms a bunch of mealworms will most likely not sit well. This happens in leopard geckos as well. Soaking him should help him pass the mealies. Continue offering him crickets as well.

Thanks

I agree with Ashley, any new type of food should always be introduced in small doses. I've never seen bearded have a problem with mealworms as long as you keep the amount down. If he up chucked it though it doesn't sound like he had a problem digesting, just ate too many.