Thread: Almost 2 year old gecko lost weight...

Thanks

Default Almost 2 year old gecko lost weight...

Just thought I would get some opinion on what I should do to maybe get her to start eating. Iv had her for about 6 months or so she wasn't the best eater to begin with and now its just obvious she isn't eating at all. I will enclose a picture of her from around 3 months ago compared to one I just took. Temps usually range between 69-75F and humidity is around 65% dureing the day going up to 90% at night. I feed regular flavour Repashy CGD, she gets a new bowl every 2 days. She is also in a 18" x 18" x 24" exoterra. She has also got this really nasty habit of attacking me...and yes I mean attacking, she'll grab on to my hand with her hind legs and her tail and swing violently from side to side biteing at every part of my hand her mouth can reach. It would just be very nice to know what everyone thinks could be the matter. I should also add in I put her into a smaller 9"x10"x16" sterilite container in hopes it will force her to eat her food.
    Anyways heres some comparison.
    First one is her 3 months or so ago around 24g's I do beileve I weighed her at. The second one was a half hour ago or so....she does look alot skinnier to me anyways.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks

Are you finding poop in her cage? Sounds like she needs a smaller more "private" cage, a tub, it would probably help her feel more secure and not as exposed. Sometimes, certain geckos actually do really poorly in a cage thats large. If you can get a fresh fecal to a vet and have them test her for entamoeba invadens and possibly other parasites, that would probably help. Try www.herpvetconnection.com to find a vet near you, there should be a link for Canadian herp vets on there. But for now, keep her on paper towel, look for and if you find a fresh poop, put it into a ziplock baggie and fridge it til you can get it to a vet for testing. Keep her off of bugs right now and keep offering CGD. Keep us updated!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Unfortunatly I havn't found any poop for quite sometime, she was on substrate. But when I switched her to the smaller bin I put her on paper towel right away that was 2 days ago now still no poop. But I will take your advice and go see the vet when I get some fresh poop. I'll keep updateing as needed. I hope nothing to bad is going on

Thanks

She might have gotten a little stressed getting switched from one cage to another so she might not eat or poop for you for a few days, but like you said it does'nt look like shes been eating all that much. I hope shes just trying to make you nervous, and theres nothing wrong.
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
    0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 799 Posts

Have you tried feeding bugs? The attacking might be a hunting response. I've found that indulging my bug-hungry geckos' appetites for live food also increases their CGD as part of the feeding response.

Otherwise, perhaps she is suffering from pain, illness or parasites. That sometimes make animals more likely to lash out against their keepers.

I hope she starts eating better for you! Good luck!
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

I have tried feeding bugs, she just does not seem that interested...she'll just sit there looking at me then occasionally she'll grab one if it comes close enough so I just gave up on the bugs with her. I have even tried hand feeding but she just turns away or starts makeing noises so I dont bother her with that either, dont want to stress her out too much. Anyways just to provide a recent update, still no food missing nor is there any poop. Fingers crossed its just her being stubborn.

Thanks

You could try feeding her bugs from forceps, maybe?

Thanks

Just thought that I would let everyone know, I did manage to get her to eat today (sorry dont actually have a name for her yet ), I stuck her in a tiny KK that I feed my other geckos crickets in (cleaned it out first) and grabbed a spoon and some new CGD and to my surprised she cleaned out about 3 small spoon fulls. Dont think we are out of the clear yet as it dosn't appear she has eaten on her own but its a start