Thread: Crestie Questions

Thanks

Default Crestie Questions

Hey, i was considering getting a Crested Gecko, and i have a few questions.
    1. The Starter Kit offered at the Pangea Store, that tank included in the deal would be only a temporary tank, right? Do you get to choose the gecko that is in the deal? And if i were to get the kit, where im in Canada, it would take 7-14 buisness days to ship, would the gecko be alright?
    2. The room temperature at my house is around 68-70, would that be ok for a gecko? would i need a heat mat?
    3. If i had only one gecko how long would 1/2lb of Repashy Superfood Crested Gecko diet last me? (Just for me to get an idea)
    4. And if there is anything that i should know before getting a gecko...
    Thanks

Thanks

I am by no means an expert so others will add their own opinions. Thats the beauty of this forum. Everyone is very helpful. And welcome to the forums.

1. The baby gecko could live in that size enclosure up to 10-15 grams. The set up would take that long to ship, after receiving it you contact Pangea and they ship it to you overnight.
    2. These temperatures are at the lower end of what Cresties should be kept at. Do not use a heat mat though, They produce too much heat.
    3.It all depends on how much you give the little one each time but I would estimate somewhere around 6+ months.
    4.They are addictive....
    1.1.0 Crested Gecko
    0.1.0 Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Thanks

I have never bought the crested plus cage deal on here but it is definitely a great deal!! I don't believe you get to pick the exact gecko but you can ask for a certain morph. The tank would definitely just be temporary considering that they love to climb so a cage that is taller rather than longer is necessary. I think it would be shipped overnight even though you live in Canada. But i am not sure because i live in the US. That is a almost near perfect temperature for a crested it may need to get a little hotter during the day. The 1/2 lb. should last you quite some time since the babies eat very little. Lastly, I think it is all about doing research and asking people on here if you are uncertain of anything!! Look at some different care sheets on the internet and on here.
    0.1 Leopard Geckos Summer
    1.0 American tree frogFrogger
    0.1 African Fat Tailed Gecko Mocha
    2.1.5 Crested GeckoTigger Speckles and Freckles The Little ones: Mario, Bolt, Penny, Princess Leia, and Han Solo!!

Thanks

Thank you, i really appreciate it! It is almost summer and the room temperature is only going to increase now, but what im scared about is winter, and suggestions towards keeping the temperature at a good level for the gecko?
    Thank you

Thanks

In regards to winter Canadian temperature I use a heat lamp, a day glo light during the day and a blue heat lamp at night. It works well to keep him at a good temperature during the winter.

0.1.0 Crested Gecko, Kiwi
    0.1 Boston Terrier, Meko
    3.0 DSH cats, Bubba, Tony and Jake
    2.0 Guinea pigs, George and Stu
    and many fish

Thanks

Oh ok, do you mean you use a normal lamp for the day and heat lamp for the night? And are they something that would just go on the tank/cage, or just an ordinary heat lamp outside the tank/cage?

Thanks

i would also send an email to see if the can send the gecko across the border....any live critters usually aren't allowed to be shipped across the border....though i guess there might be some kinda permit or something one can get to be able to ship across the border as Northern Gecko(which is in canada) ships geckos to the US once a month i think.
    Black Foxx Exotics
    1.0.4 Cresteds (Frito,Boing,Queso,Brulee, Rhubarb)
    0.0.2 Reticulated Gargoyle (Tonks, Remus)
    0.0.1 Red Matrix Koch's Day Gecko (Little Green Meanie)

Thanks

Hey this is like the day lamp that I use http://www.amazon.com/Terra-Sun-Glo-.../dp/B000633UQW
    and this is the night heat lamp http://www.amazon.com/Terra-Night-Gl.../dp/B0002AR3N0
    I have two lighting fixtures and switch between to keep the tank at the right temperature as my house is very cold in the winter and we have terrible heating.

0.1.0 Crested Gecko, Kiwi
    0.1 Boston Terrier, Meko
    3.0 DSH cats, Bubba, Tony and Jake
    2.0 Guinea pigs, George and Stu
    and many fish

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ToXiiC View Post
    Hey, i was considering getting a Crested Gecko, and i have a few questions.
    1. The Starter Kit offered at the Pangea Store, that tank included in the deal would be only a temporary tank, right? Do you get to choose the gecko that is in the deal? And if i were to get the kit, where im in Canada, it would take 7-14 buisness days to ship, would the gecko be alright?
    I read on the main site they don't ship live animals out of the states...It sometimes sucks living in Canada.
    3.1.5 Crested Geckos (Pangea, Petri, Pinwheel, Paco, Pistachio, Pepper, Pavi, Pacino, and Pita)
    ~And many other reptiles

Thanks

Not sure where you live, but I am in Canada too ... just east of GTA .... and there is a reptile expo at the MasterCard Center on May 27th ... might give you chance to get stuff you need and will want ... I am doing my damnest to get there .... LOL

Katt