Thread: Dangers of high humidity?

Thanks

Default Dangers of high humidity?

Hey guys so I was just wondering, I know that high humidity is not good for a crested and that they need it around 70%-75%. One thing I was wondering though is what is the actual dangers of having higher humidity than that? Also what is considered to much for a crested? I keep my tank in the range its supposed to be in so my guy is ok, Im just curious anyways. thanks!
    1.0 Crested Gecko (Twister)
    2.0 Dogs

Thanks

If the humidity is too high for too long it can cause respiratory issues with the animals and I imagine mold would be rampant in vivs with real plants and dirt or eco earth. I believe that the main reason for their needed humidity levels is so that they can shed successfully. I mist my vivs ONCE a day right before bedtime...this puts the humidity at around 75 at night...during the day the vivs dry down to about 45-50 or so. I also provide a humid hide, but I have never seen one of my geckos use their hide.

Thanks

So you don't mist during the day at all? I have been misting when I get up in the morning and at night. Most of the care sheets I have read said to mist at least twice. Should I stop misting at all during the day and only do it the one time at night? My cage usually will dry up to about 45% during the day. I have read on here where some people are misting it every time it drops to 45%-50%. Is that bad to do?
    1.0 Crested Gecko (Twister)
    2.0 Dogs

Thanks

On a side note: are hatchlings suppose to have a higher humidity? I read that somewhere and was curious because I bought a hatchling recently and I have been misting him twice a day, and my other guys only once.
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
    0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

Thanks

I wouldn't worry too much about over misting the your little guys. I spray my cages almost every time I walk in the room and they are bone dry by the time I walk in the next time (admittedly, I live in Colorado so EVERYTHING is excessively dry). Two or three times a day is completely fine. Hatchlings do need more humidity than the adults as it is much more important that a hatchling sheds without any problems as they can die from an incorrect shed very quickly. Just make sure that the cage has completely dried out before you spray it again and you should be completely fine!
    Formerly the user mikhail

My IHerp!

Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/treetopreptiles

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MkJurassic For This Useful Post:

kc--leigh (05-05-2012)

Thanks

You have to mist according to the ambient humidity of the room and the type of enclosure you have. If your room humidity is at about 50% or above, you can probably spray once a day, especially if it's a tank with screen. The humidity escapes very quickly if you have a screen lid tank, especially if your climate is dry. You should mist twice a day and also provide a humid hide and a water bowl.

If housing in plastic tubs with just air holes, once a day should be fine. If you have cut windows out and covered with screen, mist more often if the inside of the tank is drying out. I don't like relying on hygrometers to measure humidity as I find them inaccurate. If the tank doesn't seem too dry mist once (at night). If it seems really dry in the morning, mist again.

I live in AZ, pretty dry here but I only mist once a night, except the chewie I mist more often. I often run a humidifier, but it runs out quickly. If you choose to use a humidifier, make sure the room doesn't get too moist and stagnant, as this encourages molds, respiratory issues and can cause harm to your geckos.
    Specializing in Crested Geckos
    Working with Uromastyx | Uroplatus | PI Chahoua
    Also keeping: Australian Shepherds (Chester & Sadie)
    Moon Valley Reptiles | MVR @iherp | Facebook

Thanks

Where I live the humidity fluxuates pretty frequently. I live in Northern Illinois, and right now it's really humid from a bunch of thuderstorm, and hot. Had to crank out the AC early. But they were pretty dry at night, and the little ones in the morning were too! Which I found surprising considering they are in sterilite containers with cut out sections with screen. I think the fans running to keep the temp down was part of the problem, but they weren't near the fans, theres just one in that room. I'll just keep an eye on him/her, he's a quick little bugger who tries to escape every time I open the lid :P He's eating which I take as a great sign.
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
    0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

Thanks

Default Humidity

I believe that humidity does need to be more constant for younger Geckos so that they can shed easily. How much you need to mist is going to depend on several variables...they type of enclosure, the climate., type of substrate, etc. I do use a hygrometer in my vivs...but I don't rely on that alone...I also use my common sense...NONE of my animals have any issues with shedding, my vivs dry down afternoon, and when I mist at night I mist fairly well with a fairly fine spray.