Thread: I hate chain pet stores..

Thanks

Default I hate chain pet stores..

I swear you hardly ever find someone who knows what they are talking about.. and they have no idea how to care for their reptiles! I had a store tell me they were shipped 2 mali uromastyx that they weren't expecting (granted it wasn't that specific stores fault.. but who sends reptiles to a store who isn't prepared?).. had no set up for them ready, and had absolutely no IDEA how to care for them.. they had to go online to figure something out.. I've come across eye infections, stuck shed that lead to the shortening of toes.. etc. Someone actually said they eye was supposed to look like that because they were an albino leopard gecko.. okay I get the red eye, but not when there is something obviously stuck in it..! I broke down and bought two little leopards today because one had terrible stuck shed on it's toes, and well the other had shortened toes probably for the same reason. On the first one the shed had been on there long enough to make his/her toes look horrible!! I've included a picture to help you see what I'm attempting to describe. Another thing that bothers me is their tanks say "Max #" and it's almost always over that #.. I mean there were 10+ leos in a tank that probably could house 5 tops?? One had a missing tail, one had the shortened toes, and the other is the one pictured below. Sorry for my rant I guess it just got to me today after trying to gently remove the suck shed from my leo, and seeing this... It makes me want to work at them to help give these guys some sort of chance. I know that I'm only allowing them to buy more.. and I should speak up, but every time I try to they just look at me as some "dumb" customer, and look at me like I am talking crazy talk.

iHerp: http://tinyurl.com/MyiHerp & Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/HarleyandCharlie
    Correlophus ciliatus - 17.15.13
    Gekko gecko - 0.1.0
    Ambystoma mexicanum - 1.1.0
    Cynops orientalis - 0.0.2

Thanks

Poor babies! Im glad I'm not around chain pet stores all that much or I would be hosting a lot more critters than I actually have. I know I shouldn't buy from chain stores, but I can't help but try to make the babies feel better.
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
    0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

Thanks

That's my #1 problem... I go there for crickets when I run out (I normally buy in bulk). I ALWAYS look at the geckos.. and well the fact that the tips of the toes had stuck shed I was furious! I mean it's obviously doesn't look normal which means no one really checks on them.. and there were like 6 of them under the carpet together.. If I see a "broken" gecko there's something inside that's just like "I need to save it". This little mack snow will make such an interesting addition as will he tremper albino friend. I just guess I need to buy bigger bulk crickets.. but I hate listening to them at night, lol.
    iHerp: http://tinyurl.com/MyiHerp & Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/HarleyandCharlie
    Gekko gecko - 0.1.0

Thanks

My hedgehog runs on her wheel which covers up the noise of crixs at night. But on thursday I'm stopping at one of the pet stores in rockford, who knows what I'll find or see there O.o
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;

Thanks

I hate when the crickets I buy end up making noise all throughout the night...I have a rabbit, but she annoys me just as much with the noises she makes at night! Sometimes I never know WHO actually is making noises.. cresties.. gargs.. leos.. one of the 5 feeder insects I have .. or my bunny!! I might make my bf stop at stores on the way back Thursday.. I go with you to rockford, but .. it's just a bit aways lol
    Gekko gecko - 0.1.0

Thanks

Lol, my niece and nephew along with my sis will be with me so idk if you would want to. lol. I didn't plan on them all coming but they wanted to see the lizards and go to a couple stores in rockford, plus my sister is driving me. My house is a creaky old farm house next to an airport so noise tends to make me go to sleep, when there isn't noise thats when I'm worried. lol

Thanks

Sometimes the best thing,
    even if it's hard to do,
    is avoid chain stores.

Support the small store
    that takes care of animals
    like they need to be. <3

Thanks

Thats why I'm so thankful for my local store, they cost more, but they actually care.

Thanks

I know it's hard, but unfortunately once you've voiced your grievances, there isn't much more you can do unless they're breaking laws. Maybe it would help if you go and see if this store has a website with contact info, you could write to them and send caresheets and information to them. They may just be misinformed.

Also, I wouldn't blame the store for being shipped two lizards they didn't ask for. That's the shipper's fault.

I would also try to find another store to shop at if it's becoming hard for you to not take home the geckos that don't look so hot. Like you said, it's only allowing more to be bought.

Good luck with that little guy/girl!
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​