Thread: Smelly Leopard Gecko

Thanks

Default Smelly Leopard Gecko

So I haven't had this problem with any of my other reptiles, but I ordered a male and female adult leopard gecko from lllreptile. And I noticed with at least the male leopard gecko that his poop really smell. I've had adult females and juvies for over a year now and they never smelled, well I've never been able to smell them at all, like he does. I was wondering if this was normal for a male leopard gecko? Everything looks normal, he eats mainly a dusted cricket based diet, and I know that can cause the smell to become worse. The female I got with him has been okay, but doesn't eat much, but she has ate so I'm thinking she is still getting over the stress. But I've had them for over two weeks (They are both in quarentine from other animals and each other). So I was wondering if the males have a stronger smell? (My male crestie doesn't smell like this either) :/

Also I have a female leo that I've had for over a year and she fully grown and a fatty (Over 60 grams!) and the male will hopefully be her mate eventually, but I was wondering do all female leopards lay dud eggs, because she hasn't and most sites I go too say that they will, I was just wondering if anyone else has had virgin females not lay duds until introduced to a male or whatnot.

Thanks in advance!
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
    0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

Thanks

I have 5 leo males...and none of them smell.

Thanks

I have never had a female leopard gecko lay a dud egg without benefit of the male. On the other hand I do have a female leopard gecko who has laid 2 seasons of dud eggs after being bred by a proven male, but that's another story. I haven't found any difference in poop smelliness between males and females, but have occasionally had a particular gecko who's smellier. It wouldn't hurt to have a fecal done to make sure there isn't a problem.

Aliza

Thanks

Thanks I was thinking about getting one done just in case, but the female seems to be okay and they came together. I noticed the first time he pooped it was really big and so was the females, they've shrunk since then. I'm not use to ordering animals and having them shipped, does this occur because of them getting shipped and not eatting for a while and then deciding pigging out?
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;

Thanks

i've kept several leopards for years and have not run into the smell issue with any. i currently have some super hypo carrottails as well as tremper sunglows and none have any distinguishable odor to them. the size of the poop may be associated with their former diet if you just got them. for example if you are feeding crickets now and lll fed them mealworms sometimes that can result in larger poops before the crickets were introduced as the diet. did you ask lll what they were feeding the leopards? there are quite a few lepard gecko breeders out there feeding a primary mealworm diet to leopards. from what i understand the leopards are a little more tolerant of mealworms as a mainstay diet instead of crickets. i use dusted crickets for mine and dubias.

Thanks

No I didn't but I will now, the female wont take to the meal worms I offered her, because it seemed like she didn't want the crickets, but now shes eating the crickets just fine, and the male goes for the crickets like crazy now, they disappear within 10 minutes unless one manages to find a hiding spot. I also read someplace that when switching to cricket their poo can get a little smellier till they adjust, plus he tends to poo every other bm in a dish that I was offering mealworms to him in as well, but as seeing that he rather have crixs I removed it. Maybe I got worried over nothing, but I will be getting a fecal so I can make sure he's ok, prolly the female as well, since I'll have to travel to the vet. Just to make sure everyone is doing ok.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kc--leigh View Post
    No I didn't but I will now, the female wont take to the meal worms I offered her, because it seemed like she didn't want the crickets, but now shes eating the crickets just fine, and the male goes for the crickets like crazy now, they disappear within 10 minutes unless one manages to find a hiding spot. I also read someplace that when switching to cricket their poo can get a little smellier till they adjust, plus he tends to poo every other bm in a dish that I was offering mealworms to him in as well, but as seeing that he rather have crixs I removed it. Maybe I got worried over nothing, but I will be getting a fecal so I can make sure he's ok, prolly the female as well, since I'll have to travel to the vet. Just to make sure everyone is doing ok.
    good luck keep us posted.

Thanks

LLL is usually awesome with their customer service, and should be able to help you out quite a bit. I hope the fecal comes back clear for you, although diet would also be my first assumption for bad smelling poop. I've had many leos over the years and their poop is never overly smelly.
    Always check the Fauna BOI before you buy!
    :: iHerp :: Template Reptiles :: Canine Habits ::

Template Reptiles on Facebook

Thanks

Today everything seemed normal, and no strong odor, a little because he just went, but nothing like when I first got him. Maybe I was getting worried for nothing :/ But I'm still gonna get him checked to be sure It'll be later this week sadly because I'll have to travel, none of my vets do anything past mammals, and not even some mammals (aka my hedgehog). At least I only live an hour away from the cool vets lol. I just wish I didn't have school and finals this week