Thread: Too many geckos for a newbie?

Thanks

Question Too many geckos for a newbie?

I wanted to ask everyone's opinion, is there a such thing as too many geckos for a newbie? I am about to get 1.1 crested geckos but I have been finding myself wanting an even bigger gecko that is terrestrial and now want a leopard gecko. And there is an ad on craigslist for a tangerine leopard gecko with all the supplies for a reasonable price or obo and I plan on going to a reptile expo in May for supplies and can easily pick the 1 year old male gecko up on my way back home. My question is for someone brand new to the hobby (having done extensive research) would it be okay to get 3 geckos within less than a 2 weeks time period? The cresties would be in 2 large separate KKs on the very top level of my bookshelf, and the leo on the second to the top level of the same bookshelf. I would thoroughly wash my hands in between geckos and fecal exams wouldn't be much of a problem since I work at a vet hospital. Would I be in over my head? Or are 3 geckos like cresties and leos so easy to care for that 1 is no different than 2 and 2 no different than 3? I already have feeder supplies (lrg cricket sterilite container, repashy bug burger, large feeding dish, large grapewood driftwood) as I originally was preparing to get a bearded dragon but decided to get geckos instead.

Thanks!

Thanks

I really think it's what your comfortable with. I find that two or three cresteds isn't much more care than one. But now I have nine geckos total. Seven are cresteds, two gargs. I definitely spend quite a bit of time with feeding and cleaning comparitively but it's not unmanageable and I work full time in retail.

My only concern would be since you are new to geckos, that in a couple months you find that they aren't quite right for you. Not saying that would happen, but it does happen so just throwing that out there.

Other than that, like I said, really is a matter of what you think you can handle.
    "I believe that education is all about being excited about something. Seeing passion and enthusiasm helps push an educational message."-Steve Irwin​

3. The Following User Says Thank You to leaveittoweaver For This Useful Post:

crestieluv (04-26-2012)

Thanks

I think that's really a question you have to ask yourself. Do you have the time to devote to their care & can you afford the extra geckos? (You don't have to answer me, these are more like questions to ask yourself). If you have the space, time, knowledge & money to afford/care for them, then go for it. I'm relatively new to Crested Geckos, having bought my 1st two about 7 months ago. Before I purchased them I spent about a month researching them & spending time with a hobby breeder in Orlando, picking his brain & interacting with his Cresties to make sure that they would be a right fit for my family. They were & now I have 11 of the little buggers! I work from home & am a widowed Mom of 2 young sons, so while I'm not rolling in money, I am in a position where I can afford their care (caging/accessories for each, vet visits if/when needed, food, etc), I have the time to spend interacting with each of them (whether they like it or not, lol), cleaning vivs & I love every minute it! I also suffer from insomnia, so the fact that they are also night owls is perfect & gives me something much more interesting to watch at night than just lousy infomercials (sp?), lol!
    4.1 Dogs: Baringer, Riesling, Trunks, Tebow & Dante 1.0 Sulcata: Cavin 1.1 KSB: Mordecei & P.B. 2.2.6 Gargoyles: Venture, Triana, LSP, Nyx, 21 & 24 0.2 Leopard Geckos: Videl & Eclipse 1. 0AFT: Rigby 7.7.19 Cresties: Ghost, Drayven, Morzan, Jelly, Esme, Peach, Marcelene, Ino, Chi, Haven, Tsunade, Senju, Cinna, Tribute, Jiraya, Iruka, Kurama, Seelie, Kushina, Tada & Iyrony 1.0 Short Tailed Opossum: Daubie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Untaimed For This Useful Post:

crestieluv (04-26-2012)

Thanks

It's the time and love you have for them. I currently have four leos and one crestie, but will be getting 3 more leos and 5 to 7 more cresties within the week. I find based on cage set ups they're really easy to care for. And rotate your cleanings of cages. So you don't feel over whelmed that day. (I also have a hedge hog so shes mixed in with my current rotation). With leos too they go potty in one corner of their cage (typically), making clean up easy as long as there is no stray bugs roaming around, and paper towel substrate makes for easy clean up for a crestie. It sounds like your super prepared so go for it. If you feel they're not for you, you can always rehome them.
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
    0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kc--leigh For This Useful Post:

crestieluv (04-26-2012)

Thanks

Okay I am sooo glad someone finally made a thread about this. I always worried about the same thing when I started getting into the hobby again, back when i was a little kid (5 years old) I loved animals I had gotten a few pets and by the time I was 12 I started getting preoccupied with other things (mainly maintaining my A average and hate of school) However 2 years ago I started getting back into things I first started with fixing my husbandry errors I had made and tried to upgrade my pets care getting bigger cages and better lighting. Back then I had a california kingsnake a leopard gecko and a russian toertoise, all of which I can sadly say I made husbandry errors with. However with tons of research I was able to set them all up in great setups, my favorite accomplishment being my russian tortoise who once lived in a 40 gallon breeder and now lives in a hand made 7 foot by 2 foot enclosure. I have also expanded the number of animals of own since those 2 years ago. I now own 19 animals including 7 white lined geckos, 4 of which I bred myself, 2 crested geckos, a leachie, a chewie, another leopard gecko, a pink toed tarantula, a giant whip scorpion, an african giant milipede and most recently a phyllurus platurus. I do agree with what was stated above and that you should only own as many as you are comfortable with. Given that I cant really answer that question for you, but I can say as a someone who is still in school full time that I can still manage quite well with my 19 so I wouldn't consider it a stretch to say you should be fine with 3. Oh jeez I just realized how big of a post this is, hope you guys dont kind

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aragin08 For This Useful Post:

crestieluv (04-26-2012)

Thanks

There's not a kritter keeper big enough for 1.1 sexable crested geckos. Also, 1.1 shouldn't be put together until they're fully adults and ready to breed. So your plan for 3 cresties will require 3 enclosures. 20gal + each for adults.

Different people have different limitations and demands on their time and attention. It's usually wiser to go more slowly, unless you are VERY aware of what you are committing to and whether or not you will be able to fulfill the committments to these animals for the next 10-20 years.

Thanks

You can also used sterilite tubs over kritter keepers, just make sure the proper vetalation is used (aka enough holes or screen mesh). You can youtube the proper way to make one, it's relativily inepensive to make your own.
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
    0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
    There's not a kritter keeper big enough for 1.1 sexable crested geckos. Also, 1.1 shouldn't be put together until they're fully adults and ready to breed. So your plan for 3 cresties will require 3 enclosures. 20gal + each for adults.

Different people have different limitations and demands on their time and attention. It's usually wiser to go more slowly, unless you are VERY aware of what you are committing to and whether or not you will be able to fulfill the committments to these animals for the next 10-20 years.
    Lauraleelbp: thank you for responding but I stated that my cresties would be housed in separate KKs and I only plan for that to be temporary housing, they are still juveniles. Let me clarify a bit, per the breeder it is thought that they are male and female but regardless of sex they will be in separate housing as I have no intentions of ever breeding (i'll leave that to the experts ), and will be housed in appropriate 18*18*18 enclosures. Rest assured that Ive done extensive homework and realize what a commitment pets are and plan to give the best care possible. I'm mostly interested in everyone's opinions about how many is too many, I'm already addicted and haven't even gotten them yet :-) (squeal!) :-)

Thanks

To many, is to many for you. I did much worse starting out. I found one at in expo, bought it, found and other one later that day I liked even better, bought it, that evening, found two babies on craigs list, bought them. a couple of weeks later bought a few more at pet co. soooo you are really not doing to badly. oh, and I didnt' even do any research before the expo, impulse buys I never regretted did do research later on that week though
    Roxanne
    and the zoo
    www.geckoluv.com

Thanks

I agree with all the posts about "it depends on what you can handle". In addition, it's important to think about your life long term, and whether you're in the part of your life where big changes may happen that will affect your ability to care for your pets. By those I mean things like going to school (good consideration for High Schoolers), getting married, having a baby, starting a new job. If any of those things are on the horizon, it's a good idea to keep your collection small so you have less time invested and fewer to rehome if that becomes necessary. I started my gecko hobby when my youngest were 9 and not needing so much of me. Now they are 18 and about to leave for college, so I have many stable years ahead with no major life changes. My current gecko population is somewhere around 40, projected to go up to 70-80 by the middle of breeding season and then back down. I could never have done this with young children in the home.

ALiza