Thread: Keep the ants away!! Informative

Thanks

Lightbulb Keep the ants away!! Informative

So I live in an old farm house with leaky windows, so of course when the weather got warmer ant decided to invade my bedroom, which also plays host to my reptiles. Luckily no one got hurt and the ants didn't do any damagel, but I would just like to give some tips to people with potential problem, because I had no idea what to do but try to move a whole bunch of big glass cages down stairs into another room.

So if you find out if you got ants trying to get in try doing these tricks:
    Put either double sided tape, or sticky side up tape around the base of all your cages and around any cords that lead to stuff within your cages and the ants will get stuck and can't get to the tope of the cage (I have it around all cages even though they ants are gone just for added security). Tape up any holes that are large on your cage (like where your cords go in, not the mess screen) with electrical tape, that tape will be able to with stand the heat from lamps and what not. Lay down ant traps/baits near where the ants are and in various places in the room and where they are potentially coming in (I keep these down and replace them constantly). Ants will not cross chalk lines, so you can encircle your entire rack sytems in chalk if you don't have a carpeted floor. Cinnamon will destroy ant trails so sprinkle some around the room (you might want to make sure any fans are off). Some ants are repelled by bay leaves, so you can leave those in various places around the room, especially on shelves near cages or where they may be coming in at. I also heard you can put your cages sitting on an upside down bowl in a pan of water and then you will drown the ants. But ants are known to survive floods and water by groups of ants forming 'rafts', so I really don't trust this method.

Don't step on the ants, they will come back for the dead ones!

You can make your own ant baits if you can't constantly buy them. You use peanut butter, borax, and sugar. Mix them together (I think it's equal parts for all ingrediants) and then use a straw and stab the mixture till the straw is full. Then you can cut it into one inch increments and place it in various places. These work just like the ant baits you buy, the ant will take it back to the colony and it will kill the colony. Warning for dog and cat owners or those with kids: Your pet or child may want to eat these because of the peanut butter, so put it in places they can't reach.

Why you are getting ants:
    They are attracted to the insects you are feeding to your reptiles (especially dead ones). I feed crickets to my leopard geckos and the dead ones in the cricket box attracted them to my room. Crickets have a naturally bad smell and ants seem to love it, so if you are hosting a roach colony and diet, you might be safe from ants because I hear they don't smell as bad and are easier to keep, I would grow a colony but I can't get past the fact that they are roaches.

If you are worried about ants the main preventative measure you can take is to make sure to clean out any dead insects (my lizards are pigs and eat all of the ones in their cages). I only had a few dead ones in the cricket container and I ended up with dozens of carpenter ants in my bedroom. Make sure to put paper towel or substrate in your insect box. That time I ran out after buying those crickets, so I just tossed them in the box without it. They will smell 100 times worse and that maybe why I got so many ants. Also put down some ant baits, they last several month before replacing.

This is just to help those who may get into a predicament like mine, because I did not know what to do, and I had to do a lot of searching to find answers. Luckily JB helped me out with the suggetion of chalk and cinnamon.
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
    0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kc--leigh For This Useful Post:

Spyral (07-09-2012)

Thanks

I get ants around this time of year in my cricket tanks. They like to make off with the gutload. My solution that works has been to spray vegetable oil around the outside top of the tanks. That's worked really well and after I did it (and had a marathon ant-killing session) they all disappeared.

Aliza

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acpart For This Useful Post:

kc--leigh (04-26-2012),Spyral (07-09-2012)

Thanks

Terro brand ant baits work really well too. Especially for the sugar ants which I tend to have issues with.

Thanks

have you guys seen this? time lapse of a whole gecko (dead) eaten by ants in a few hours

0.1 R. Ciliatus- Sandy
    1.0 R. Leachianus- Sativa (Nuu Ami)
    1.0 DLH Cat- Diesel
    0.1 Nova Scotia Duck Toller (Coming home soon)

Thanks

Thats disturbing, and sad :'( I hate ants on a good day. Theres also a video out there of one little ant killing a scorpion in a matter of minutes. It was probably a really weird type of ant though, it was quite large. It's scary the damage they can do.
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;

Thanks

Just found one ant in my room and just had a freak out session of dusting cinnamon every where and placing bay leaves in various spaces. Plus adding a tone of new ant traps. I know it was only one ant but I still have nightmares plus working third shift I can't keep an eye out tonight. Does anyone else have any tricks or tips they've used over the time you've had reptiles or ant problems?