Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What is it like to own a ferret? Input greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JackTheCrestie View Post
    I once owned 4 ferrets, all have since passed on due to old age. Each one lived about 12-15 years. They were fun pets. I used to block off whole rooms and just let them explore. They will steal stuff, mine used to hide things under my dresser. I called it their hideyhole. I would wait til I had tucked them all back into their habitat then go and dig everything out, if they find out or see that you know where their hideyhole is, they will change the location.
    That is a LONG time for a ferret to live!

Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but one thing I highly suggest you consider if you get ferrets, is to not buy from a Pet store that sells Marshall's ferrets (AKA the majority of pet stores). I worked at a pet store for 4 years, knew lots of people that had ferrets, including my best friend/manager at the store, and many Marshall ferrets have health problems. Plus their "warranty" hardly covers anything. Instead, I would do lots of research on other breeders, because they are out there! I would love to have ferrets someday when I have kids, and I will for sure buy them from a breeder who I have researched thoroughly.

Thanks

Oh and I always thought that if you really loved them, the smell isn't TOO bad Just make sure not to bathe them too much, I was always taught no more than 1x/month.

Thanks

Went to the humane society today and spent about a half hour playing with the pair of ferrets they have. Surprise, boyfriend isn't as Anti-Ferret as he originally thought. When the girl got them both out of the cage she handed one to me and one to him right off the bat, and once in a visitation room he voluntarily played with, and held each little furry.

Here's two pics that Reid took after we put them back (unprompted, mind you) the girl is on the left, the boy on the right.

We are going to go around the apartment and talk about ferret proofing tonight, but we both still aren't sure if we're gonna take the plunge into a new species or not. After more talk we have also been considering getting a third cat, an older kitten around Geo's age or younger. So that he can bond with a playmate at a young age especially since my oldest cat is already 11.

I really enjoyed spending time with both of these guys though! First Luna, the female wanted in my purse and Sol was soon to follow her. She seemed more inquisitive, and more inclined to romp and play then he did. He was very mellow and hid every toy that I handed him in a back corner of the room. I did like both of them quite a bit, and took home an adoption application. I think if we decided to go ahead I would adopt both, instead of just one like I originally planned.

I've really loved learning about the ins and outs of ferrets though! I've got a stack of books, I went through a ton of websites and the first hand accounts have been great. If I don't get a ferret in the next few weeks, I'm sure I will definitely get some one day.
    Meg
    THE GECKO ALCHEMIST
    on facebook

Thanks

I'm glad you went and played with a couple so you can get a feel for their general personalities...in the case of those two, I would suggest adopting both of them, as you said, since they seem to be pretty bonded (especially if they were together before the humane society). What's one more anyway? =) Plus they help keep each other entertained!

Thanks

Hey everyone,

I too am looking into a Ferret and have always wanted one. The one thing my hubby and I are curious about is insect consumption. Does anyone offer bugs in their diet? Considering we all have geckos and other reptiles, we all usually always have bugs kicking around the house. If anyone has offered them, what was the general response? I imagine they aren't bad for a ferret, considering they are closely related to badgers and one of the main food items for badgers in the wild is insects.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
    http://thegeckotree.com/ - Health, Colour, Structure Visit us today! (:
    Follow on Facebook facebook.com/TheGeckoTree
    Gargoyle Geckos -Crested Geckos - Leachianus - Chahoua - Tarantulas - Nephrurus - African Fat Tails

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StickyFeet. View Post
    Hey everyone,

I too am looking into a Ferret and have always wanted one. The one thing my hubby and I are curious about is insect consumption. Does anyone offer bugs in their diet? Considering we all have geckos and other reptiles, we all usually always have bugs kicking around the house. If anyone has offered them, what was the general response? I imagine they aren't bad for a ferret, considering they are closely related to badgers and one of the main food items for badgers in the wild is insects.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!
    This is gross, and not recommended, but our ferret LOVED to hunt wolf spiders. We had an unfinished basement and my idiot brother would let him roam in there (despite it being against the house rules), and he would find and eat the wolf spiders. LOVED them.

I don't think there would be anything wrong with giving them the occasional feeder insect. They would probably love mealworms.
    May you take time to celebrate the quiet miracles that seek no attention.

Thanks

Ferrets are obligate carnivores and because of that have a hard time breaking down/digesting foods that are not meat, such as grains, fruits/vegetables and even carbohydrates. They probably like the chase of insects, much like a cat does, and the resulting crunch, but really I wouldn't suggest feeding any insects purposefully. If you want to give treats, I would only use treats made for ferrets, just healthier and safer all around.

Thanks

Meg, have you considered a rabbit, specifically a mini lop? While not quite as exciting as ferrets, they make pretty good pets, can be left to roam around a properly prepared house, usually get along great with cats and can be handled, enjoyed and loved. They are also pretty easy to litterbox train.

Just a thought.