Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Leopard Gecko - Fostering

Thanks

He flipped over onto his back twice. I gently righted him back onto his stomach, but something deep in the pit of my stomach tells me he is trying to die.

I've emailed the rescue, and am awaiting a response. The reptile vet would be closed now, but I believe someone from the rescue has the vet's personal cell phone number and would be able to get in touch. Once they read my email and decide if it's a true emergency, that is.

I'm very distraught. I feel like I've done something wrong for him to go downhill so fast, but I know I changed nothing in my husbandry and he was eating and perky one day and lethargic the next. I changed things in my husbandry at the suggestion of the rescue, but I'm still feeling really guilty, like I've done something wrong.

Pull through little guy!
    May you take time to celebrate the quiet miracles that seek no attention.

Thanks

Are you using coconut husk that are actual pieces of husk, or coco fiber that looks like dirt? If you're using chunks, I'd be concerned that he may ingest some. I took care of a pair of leos for a month once where one had just dropped her tail for unkown reasons and right after that she passed a few walnut shells, which was the substrate she'd been kept on. I think the ones she ate were hurting her so much inside, she dropped her tail. I think you're doing about everying you can be doing. Sometimes the ones we rescue are so damaged that they just can't get through it. I hope he makes it.

Aliza

Thanks

It's the coconut husk that looks like actual husk, but I've literally only had him on this substrate for a few hours and he's been hunching his back, not eating, and being extremely lethargic since Saturday, so I doubt he's ingested any substrate. He hasn't moved at all except to continue to flip himself over onto his back.

The rescue is thinking it's 'loss of the righting reflex', but I'm not so sure.

Thanks

I guess I would reccomend that carb booster appitite stimulant stuff since they're taking a while to get back to you. Just so something gets in him, I don't want him to give up on you since you've been working so hard to get him going again I've heard of some leos having nervous problems, but those occur with birth. The last gecko I had die, flipped on its back like your describing. Refused to eat as well...
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
    0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

Thanks

I'm hesitant to try the carnivore care now because I'm 98% sure he won't eat it and if he keeps flipping onto his back, I'm worried he'll just aspirate it and die.

I gently flipped him onto his stomach when I finally decided to stop watching him and get some sleep and he was on his back again this morning. He's breathing really shallow. Honestly, I thought he was dead when I first woke up.

The rescue contacted me early this morning, and they said it might just be severe MBD, and that maybe this is one of those cases where we've done all that we can. They are considering taking him to the reptile vet/euthanasia, and I'm waiting to hear the final decision.

I'm not sure why MBD would decide to manifest in this fashion, especially when a week ago he was able to move around a little and he was eating like a dozen crickets a day.

So I'm just doing what I can to keep him comfortable. I misted him very lightly, since he looks all sunken. I think it stresses him out more when I flip him back to his stomach, so I've decided to just let him stay on his back. Maybe it helps him breathe better, maybe it's time to let nature take it's course.

I can't thank everyone enough for the advice over the last few days. It really helped to have someone to talk to inbetween advice from the rescue. It felt like someone was going through this with me.

Thanks

The head of the rescue was out of town, and we've been corresponding via email over the past few days. He agreed that the gecko was rapidly declining, and said I should do what I felt was best, since I was the one observing his condition. The reptile vet is closed today, so I took him to my vet.

He was barely breathing and extremely listless. The car ride was less than 5 minutes and he didn't perk up at all. By the time I got to the vet he kept looking like he had stopped breathing, but then would gasp about once or twice a minute.

The decision was made the euthanize him. He definitely looked like he was suffering, and given all his conditions he probably wasn't going to get any better, even with treatment. I know I did the right thing, but I wish I knew what caused his sudden decline when he looked like he was going to pull through.

I am holding the body in case they decide to do a necropsy.

Thank you everybody who read my thread and offered advice. "Arnold" is now at peace.

Thanks

I'm so sorry hun. You did the right thing, that pore little guy at least got to be with someone who actually cared for him in the end.
    1.4.0 Leopard Geckos; 6.4.1.4 Crested Geckos; 0.1.0.1 Mourning Geckos; 0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snakes;
    0.1 Hedgehog; 0.2 Mice; 1.4 Felines; 1.1 Canines

Thanks

Reptiles are the hardest to bring back from bad conditions and illness, unfortunatly. They just don't bounce back the way warm-bloods do. You did everything you could, not to mention a lot more than what most people would have. RIP Arnold