Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating Vet Visit

Thanks

Unhappy Frustrating Vet Visit

I thought Iíd found the perfect vet. You search for what you think is the best, and I was lucky enough (so I thought) to find a vet that specializes in reptiles, receives continuing education hours in exotic animal medicine and gives yearly lectures on reptile health. I have made multiple visits to the clinic, with each visit costing me $200+. More money than I wanted to spend, but I pushed that aside thinking I was providing the best for my geckos.

With our initial visit we talked reptiles and she seemed genuinely excited that I was a customer. We even discussed fecals in detail and I got to go ďbehind the scenesĒ to look through the microscope. However, during my second to last appointment, I felt like the vet was a little "off" but thought she might be having a bad day so didn't take it personally. But, with my final vet appointment, I realized we were being brushed off. I took my husband with me and he agrees she was definitely rude.

I show up for our appointment (on time) with a crested pair, two hatchlings and a satanic. The hatchlings are along for show and tell, as one of the other vets requested we bring babies next time we come for a visit. I brought one of my satanics so my vet could see them and I could look into getting wormer for them since theyíre WC and probably havenít been treated. The crested pair are here for a health exam and fecal check.

Of course everyone oohhhhs and ahhhhhhs over the babies. But when it comes down to the vet visit portion, she becomes stand-offish. Iím telling her about my concerns over the male crested who is losing weight and I request a fecal. Heís clean on any worms but he does have an abnormal amount of flagellates. (Reptiles will have small amounts of flagellates, but apparently this male crestedís immune system became weak enough that they multiplied. He was treated with Flagyl and given Baytril as an antibiotic.)

During the course of my visit, I was told that she wasnít a ďherdĒ doctor and she wouldnít treat a gecko unless it was brought into the office for a health exam ($51.00) and fecal ($32.00). I'm sorry, but I can't afford to take every gecko into the office for a checkup and fecal. She said that if she treated geckos without seeing them in the office, the word would get out and then all sorts of breeders would be coming to her.

So I tell her that Iím pretty discouraged, as I just want to provide proper care for my geckos. What Iím supposed to do. I donít want to just let geckos get sick and die. I canít be a breeder that just letís a gecko die because itís cheaper to replace it. And she says, I wish I could sympathize with you, but I don't.

She replies that she doesnít like the breederís ďshotgunĒ philosophy of ďthis is wrong with this gecko, so letís treat them all,Ē when in fact something else could be the problem with others. I donít appreciate being lumped into that category as Iím actually making an attempt to provide care for my geckos, and never have I implied that I want to treat every gecko for one heath issue.

After giving it much thought, weíll be looking for another vet. Iím wanting to do my own fecals, in order to save on some money yes, but to also reduce stress to the geckos. Hopefully, I will be able to find a vet that is willing to work with me, so that I may provide the proper care for each of my pets.

:|
    ~ Dorothy ~

4.7 Crested Gecko ~ 2.0.1 Chahoua ~ 0.1 Gargoyle
    1.2 Leopard Gecko ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragon ~ 1.1 Pictus
    1.0 Anole ~ 1.0 Box Turtle ~ 1.0 Tree Frog

Thanks

Just curious Dorothy. What does a $51 "health exam" on a gecko include?
    ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
    President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Alan View Post
    Just curious Dorothy. What does a $51 "health exam" on a gecko include?
    It's actually their office fee, and covers my walking into the office and her visually and physically inspecting the gecko.

Thanks

I gotta raise my rates (slams palm into forehead).
    ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
    President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Alan View Post
    I gotta raise my rates (slams palm into forehead).

Lol...I'd pay your rates! At least you'd help me learn and offer the best care for my reptiles.

Thanks

*gives Dorothy a BIG hug*

A friend of mine likes a guy in Furguson, MO of you would like to try him.
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cml3.0 View Post
    *gives Dorothy a BIG hug*

A friend of mine likes a guy in Furguson, MO of you would like to try him.

Believe me, I kept this short and tried to keep it as un-hostile as I could. *sigh*

Ferguson is almost 4 hours from me, so a bit further than I want to drive, lol. I'm sure I can find something closer here...I hope.

Thanks

200 bucks does seem really expensive. My vet only charges $37 for an office visit and that was to keep my gecko over night even. Try and find a new vet if at all possible. I know the reptile vets are hard to find!

Thanks

We've got some quacky herp vets here too. Each comes with their own unique set of problems. I think they get away with it because they are so few and far between.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

Dorothy, see if you can find a vet that will let you just drop fecals off with no animal if all you want to do is check them for parasites..... My vet does that, which is very handy. (Although her "idiot techs" LOST our boa's fecal sample THREE TIMES in a row..... do you know how long we have to wait for a boa fecal sample?)

Good luck; I know how frustrating that is. We've been to every herp vet in Savannah; right now I feel we're getting the best veterinarians, but the office staff and tech staff are poor. We put up with them because we have access to 2 good exotics vets at once there.

P.S.: I am NOT saying all vet techs are bad; I used to do some tech work, and I am grateful for them. But my herp vet was bought out by a regular vet practice and she had to let all her exotics techs go, and is retraining dog and cat techs from scratch........ Like the girl who suggested lizards did not need anesthesia or pain management during surgery. *sigh*
    "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight;
    You gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight....."
    --Bare Naked Ladies