Thread: Leo with some attitude!

Thanks

Default Leo with some attitude!

Hi!

Tui, my 4-5 1/2 year old Jungle Leopard gecko has really shown some attitude over the year. We 'rescued' her from a grandmother with grandchildren that 'out grew' Tui and THEY rescued her from a shelter. So this girl has been around and in a result of that is a bit shy/skittish.

Winter came around and she "hibernated" for all of winter and that is when she kind of upturned her nose to crickets. It seems like she's mostly too lazy to go after them but when I buy the tiny ones she tries to chase them and gets a mouth full of nothing. Any medium to large ones and she wants nothing to do with them. I was told I could use feeder tweezers, remove the legs, and/or also not to worry as long as she's not losing weight. Which she isn't! Is she okay? Her tail is very plump and healthy.

I was looking over other insects to feed her and saw silkworms are similar to crickets in nutrients?
    Some input would be gratefully appreciated! She's my first lizard (got her last summer)

Thanks

A jungle Leo? She might not have completely woken up yet. Could you post some pics? (I want to see a jungle Leo, I've never seen one). She should be fine, give her a while. If nothing try a herp vet

Cole
    Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Thanks

Silk worms and wax worms are just fine, gut-load and dust they will be good or better.
    Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Rhombodera stalli x5

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Extremecrestie View Post
    A jungle Leo? She might not have completely woken up yet. Could you post some pics? (I want to see a jungle Leo, I've never seen one). She should be fine, give her a while. If nothing try a herp vet

Cole
    http://www.leopardgeckowiki.com/index.php?title=Jungle
    http://www.geckosetc.com/htm/morphs.htm
    Here's some Jungle info for you Cole

To the OP, if no one else answers before I do, I'll be back, I hate using my phone to type anything too lengthy...

To be continued......

Thanks

Oh, used to have one with that pattern, lol. Thank you!

Rhombodera stalli x5

Thanks

You can try some different feeder insects to see if they will trigger a feeding response. You could try silkworms, feeder roaches, mealworms or super worms, but I would stay away from wax worms. They are to be used as treats and not a daily feeder. If your Leo is being picky I wouldn't want to feed wax worms an make that the only thing it wants from now on!

But it is also true that if it is still in brumation then it may still be a bit before it wants to eat. How active is it at the moment? If it is moving around a lot it will soon be hungry and ready to eat crickets. If it gets hungry it will eat what every is available. That's what they do, that's their natural instinct.

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?uhq4i4
    Thanks,
    Brian.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

Thanks

I have great luck giving my leos crickets, meal worms, superworms, and occasional wax worms (all gutloaded of course) on tongs, in a dish, loose, etc.

I have had a few leos "hibernate/ brumate" seasonally, but in my experience (out of 13 leos-6 of them female) I have only had 2 females sortof go on a hunger strike, one of which lasted way longer than I wished, and she did lose a bit of weight, but gained it all back and then some, once she decided it was over.

I was wondering how you are heating her enclosure? What are you keeping her warm side temperatures at? That can play a HUGE role in her eating for you.

I believe belly heat to be best, I have my warm side set to 92. But anywhere between 89-93 is good.