Thread: I Truly Want Your Guidance.

Thanks

Default I Truly Want Your Guidance.

So, my mom said that maybe, after a conversation with my dad, they would get me a crested gecko. My little Princess, a leopard gecko, is truly wonderful, but I'd like to try an arboreal, rain forest gecko instead of a clawed, desert gecko. But, if I do get one, I do not, for my safety and the gecko's, want it to be treated mistakenly until it's death. So, I quickly summed up basic crested gecko care, and I need to know-Is this proper? Here it is:

Diet: Can live entirely on CGD, eat mashed up fruit for treat.
    Housing: 15 gallon tall minimum, fake plants, a humid hide, a hide, fake vines, paper towel for substrate, and a bowl for CGD. Water bottle for misting.
    Lighting and heating: Unless your house is abnormally cold, no lighting or heat is needed.

Okay that's really all I covered. ^^; I'm not planning to breed, so the care is more simple. If you guys can tell me if it's okay, then I know I will make a good crested gecko owner.
    Hello, you can call me either the Gecko Geek, Little Gecko, or of course, you can always just call me Insanity.

Thanks

that all seems correct unless you are getting a baby crestie. Baby cresties do better in small kritter keepers. Baby's have a hard time finding food. along with a bowl of CGD you might also wanna put a water dish in there with them also. Cresties usually don't recognize standing water but, it's always a good idea to have it just incase. Hides and hunid hides are really optional IMO. They will usually hide in the fake vines and leaves. water botle for misting is also correct you wanna keep the humidity up but between mistings let the terrarium dry out so you don't create mold which is very toxic and can kill.Lighting and heating are not necessary temps in th eroom can drop to about 68 but no higher then 78. They can withstand it but creates unneeded stress. temps over 80 also can create organ failure. They can live on only CGD I like to mix it up with crickets once a week to just gives variety. Thi sis all stuff I have learned from reading and asking a bunch of questions. Poke around the forum and ask questions. Lots of great people here!

Thanks

I suggest checking out jbscresties.com. She's an active member here who has tons of experience, and the care information on her website is very thorough.

20gal is a much better size for an adult crestie--15 just isn't quite enough. It is best to keep them in an enclosure appropriate for their size. Generally, a large Kritter Keeper until 8-10g, a 10gal (a fish tank on it's end works very well) to 20g, and a full sized 20gal (again, a fish tank on end works great) over 20g. And that is really bare minimum--some keepers use a medium KK under 5g. You also do not want to let their enclosures get above 82 degrees.
    My iHerp[/SIZE][/CENTER]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by amandarenee View Post
    I suggest checking out jbscresties.com. She's an active member here who has tons of experience, and the care information on her website is very thorough.
    Aww! Thanks! <3

Quote Originally Posted by amandarenee View Post
    You also do not want to let their enclosures get above 82 degrees.
    This is a huge deal. Since you are relying on the kindness of your parents, make sure your parents are aware of this before they commit - some people do not like to run the air conditioning until it starts getting hotter than 82. If you can't keep your home on the cooler side, look into a different species.

Thanks

Mashed up fruit for a treat is good, just make sure to use nothing citrus, as in oranges, limes, grapefruit, lemons, etc. Also, as stated above using jbscresties.com. That is a great idea, I actually learned ALOT I know today from her site. Also, she makes TONS of videos that are very helpfull & I am a type of person who likes to see things being done, I am a visual learner, so that was very helpful. Cresties make GREAT pets! So good luck, I hope it all works out with your parents!

Thanks

Thanks guys. This was all really helpful. ^^
    Hello, you can call me either the Gecko Geek, Little Gecko, or of course, you can always just call me Insanity.

Thanks

just a quick thing to add you should give him/her some cacium dusted crickets.

Thanks

Once a week or once every 2 weeks
    Correlophus ciliatus x5 (Bella, mango, tiny, butterscotch and daisy, and yes daisy is a boy)

Mniargekko Chahoua x1 (Java chip)

Rhombodera stalli x5